Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Not a Happy Camper

Please make sure to check your towing equipment and assure that your weight distributing and anti-sway devices are properly tensioned and installed.

You and I have seen these imminent disasters when travelling the Interstate. Here's one instance where the trailer didn't make it. Luck being with the driver, they didn't roll the truck over.

https://youtu.be/INyiMA3hfto

Common sense would dictate that if you perceive the your trailer is beginning to sway that the 1st thing you should do is get off the throttle and do not sharply apply the brakes.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Wow !!! Can't see why they didn't let off or apply the trailer brakes. Don'tvsee any real input to cause that ???
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

Plus, it looks like the poster didn't even pull over. Anyone one here ever been thru that ?
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Don't see any real input to cause that ???
Not being an investigator on the scene, I'm going with as soon as the trailer broke off the pressure wave from the 18 wheeler and the travel trailer got into clean air, the driver appears to continues to accelerate. This created eccentric yaw motions on the rear of trailer which only got worse. Why in the world the pickup truck driver only made the matter worse would be what I'd like to know.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Maybe they thought the wind buffet from the truck was causing it to sway and hoped to get it to stop once past the truck... not good logic, I know, but pulling fast isn't either... usually...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Plus, it looks like the poster didn't even pull over.
True that however all we saw was the end of the video. Perhaps the driver kept on going however he might have been bringing that 18 wheeler to a controlled stop which might have taken longer than the air time on the video.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always keep in mind that there are some out there who don't hesitate to do what they do with no idea, desire or intent that they just might need to educate themselves about their new adventure. Some of life's lessons are harder to learn than others.

I took another look at the scene. They had two propane bottles (loose) and two coolers on the rear bumper. He probably had the coolers tied down because he didn't want to spill the beer. That's just a guess about the beer!!! That would reduce the tongue weight 100+ lbs making it even more unstable.

Back in about 1978 we were going to make our annual trip from Detroit to ME through Canada. We wanted to tow our Nissan SW. I went to the shop built a tow bar hooked it up to the MH and off we went. Never checked to see if the SW was towable. Didn't have a braking system. Don't even remember if I hooked up brake lights. I think I figured that they could see the MH brake lights so why bother. We made it with no issues. We were careful but awful lucky. Not one of my smarter moves.

TeJay
Old 07-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Maybe he could have piled more junk behind the rear bumper.

Did you notice how it was bent down and had things moving back and forth in the carrier? I think this is prime example of too little hitch weight.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To me looks like the truck was going to fast, the tail wag just got worse and they didn't know how to control it. Could be another example of being in too much of a hurry.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

Looks like it was purposely wrecked to me. Very quick to back off the road. With that quick of reaction time, seems like he could of gotten the sway under control in time to avoid the crash.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #11

Seems the Ford stabilize control did not help, was not installed or was not utilized in that application.
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Looks like it was purposely wrecked to me. Very quick to back off the road. With that quick of reaction time, seems like he could of gotten the sway under control in time to avoid the crash.
I doubt if that was on purpose. Do you realize the danger inherent in what happened there? The driver probably was unaware of the problem until the trailer really started to wag, and then had no clue as to what to do. And he didn't back off the road by design. He was spinning and while pointed backwards, the tires hooked up and took him off the road.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Not being an investigator on the scene, I'm going with as soon as the trailer broke off the pressure wave from the 18 wheeler and the travel trailer got into clean air, the driver appears to continues to accelerate. This created eccentric yaw motions on the rear of trailer which only got worse. Why in the world the pickup truck driver only made the matter worse would be what I'd like to know.
Agree about getting past pressure wave and getting worse. As easily as it broke free from the truck, I'd bet he didn't have a WDH and therefore NO sway prevention or control. He had an F 250/350 and light tongue weight and probably didn't think he needed a WDH/with sway control. He was going too fast towing and more than likely didn't have enough tongue weight. Letting off the throttle and applying the trailer brake would have helped straighten out the trailer if he had done it when he broke past the truck and sway started. He was in too big of a hurry to pass.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Let's not blame the Trucker as He only shot the video, but the Driver surely felt the swaying long before he crashed and opted to keep his foot down hoping it would self correct and in His case He made the wrong decision. Can't fix Stupid ! I've seen similar cases where a TT is in a Hurry for some unknown reason and They're all over the place passing where they shouldn't be.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote