Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

NYS R Endoresment

Looking for some guidance here fellas.

I just purchased a 2013 Volvo VNL 730 to tow my rig with. I am a contractor and purchased the rig through my company but will only be using it for private use. I put Private Coach Not for Hire Decals on it. I even removed the commercial hitch and have ordered the ET Hitch.

When I purchased my truck in Nashville and had to drive home to Long Island, I brought a friend with me that possesses a CDL just in case. We blew by every weigh station, and had no issues.

I know I need this R endorsement. I have called and visited DMV and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Here it is.

My Volvo has a GVWR of 52,000lbs. Front axle 13,200 and both rears are 20,000. According to the requirements for the R endorsement any vehicle over 26,001 pounds being used for personal use I need to have that endorsement. Can I just take the road test in the Volvo without the trailer hooked up? this whole thing is based on weight, not length right?

Technically, my F350 and my trailer puts me over that 26,001 lb threshold anyway (14,000 GVWR truck and 20000 for the trailer) Do I just show up in that set up and take the road test, get the endorsement and go about my day?

Just looking for some guidance here.

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Not sure just what a 2013 Volvo VNL 730 is. Tractor?? I have a full CDL, live on LI. If a tractor, no trailer needed, but you must be driven there with someone having a CDL rated for the vehcle at the test site. To be safe and avoid any worries, go to test site and check with those who do the test.

Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

Kyle- go here and post your question Escapees Discussion Forum. Many HDT'ers over there.... me included!
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM1970 View Post
Just looking for some guidance here.

Your questions are specific to the state of New York and your local area. So you need an answer from someone that is familiar with New York rules and procedures.

I would probably find the nearest office of the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and ask them. If they can't give you a good response, at least they may be able to point you to the correct office that knows the answers to your questions.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:30 AM   #5

When I took my R endorsement in Northern NY I pulled the trailer. They want you to "parallel park" and back it up in a straight line as part of the road test. Of course my rig is a little smaller, Chevy Dually and a 15000 Lb Fifth Wheel.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

NYS and the R endorsement is a bit of a quagmire. Most DMV folks don't have a clue about the endorsement and what is required. You are probably going to have to visit your local DMV office and talk to a supervisor who may, if you're lucky, know what you are talking about. When I got mine here in Erie County I had to go to the only DMV office in the county that knew what I was talking about and have them schedule an unscheduled road test. I'm not making that up as that is exactly what she told me. Then they issued me a 30 day permit which allowed me to drive the rig by myself but when I went to take the test I had to have someone with me who had a R endorsement or a CDL.

The difficulty of the test depends strictly on the inspector. Mine was a piece of cake and a friend of mine had an inspector which he said was more difficult than his pilot's license inspector. He was a 737 pilot by the way.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Adding a few comments to what wnytaxman said.

To get my permit I had to talk to the supervisor's supervisor and then they had to issue hand written papers, the computer didn't work for this case. At the start of the roadtest the examiner had to call his supervisor to find out what to test. The examiner had been doing roadtests for over 20 years, go figure. After passing the roadtest, the process to update your license was also done by hand.

Your other hassle may be reclassifying the tractor to obtain passenger plates.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

One more vote for what others have said, when I got mine I had to bring a copy of the law extract and show it to the supervisor at my DMV office, she said she had never issued one in 16 years!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

You could call the Albany office of the enforcement division. I think you can get to them through the "schedule a road test" phone number. 518-402-2100

They will answer any questions you have, and probably contact the local DMV office for you to educate them
Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
Adding a few comments to what wnytaxman said.

To get my permit I had to talk to the supervisor's supervisor and then they had to issue hand written papers, the computer didn't work for this case. At the start of the roadtest the examiner had to call his supervisor to find out what to test. The examiner had been doing roadtests for over 20 years, go figure. After passing the roadtest, the process to update your license was also done by hand.

Your other hassle may be reclassifying the tractor to obtain passenger plates.

I have "commercial" plates on my 1 ton dually. I dont use it commercially, but that is how the dealer licensed it. It hasn't been a problem yet.