Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #1

Ok, Just to see if anyone has this info handy. We are looking to swap out of our class C into a Fifth Wheel set up.

We are looking at buying an F350 dually with the Diesel motor.

From what I can find on the charts.. this pretty much means the trailer can't be more than 16,700lbs loaded. I think.

We are looking at a trailer that claims to weigh 12,095 dry and 15800 max with pin weight of 2440.

Looks right?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #2

Ok, Just to see if anyone has this info handy. We are looking to swap out of our class C into a Fifth Wheel set up.

We are looking at buying an F350 dually with the Diesel motor.

From what I can find on the charts.. this pretty much means the trailer can't be more than 16,700lbs loaded. I think.

We are looking at a trailer that claims to weigh 12,095 dry and 15800 max with pin weight of 2440.

Looks right?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #3

I am pretty glad I found this forum, cause it would never have occured to me that a 1 ton dually may be too small for a 5th wheel trailer.

I think we are on the right track on the weights. Just confusing at first and hard to find any info on what the truck weighs without actually laying hands on it.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 AM   #4

What you can pull with any vehicle depends on it's capacity, which you will need to know, and the total of what you haul with it. Total meaning the rig you pull, the people that ride, and the stuff you take. Everything, period. Water in the tanks, drinks in the fridge, pillows on the bed, grey and black water that's not dumped yet.

Start with the GCVW number on the TV your looking at, back out it's weight, the passengers weights, hitch weight, stuff you'll take in the TV weight, and anything else that will ride in or on that TV and that will give you the weight MAX that you can have as a 5'er. As said above, that includes everything down to the Cheeto's.

The ONLY real way to know the weight of a rig is to weigh it. You salesman will point you strait to a UVW number on the label on the back of a cabinet door. That number will mean nothing, zip, nada. This is the number BEFORE any options. Options are slides, awnings, water in the tanks, fancy pillows, etc. Insist that the rig be weighed, estimate what your going to add, food, lawn chairs, etc. And work from that.

That's alot of info to down quickly, but thats the basics of how it works. You will find there will be plenty of rigs to choose from with that TV so don't panic.

Try this: Drive up in your car to the camper lot first. See how many salesmen DON'T come running. Drive up in that new deisel dually, and let it rattle out it's song in the parking lot, and everyone will call you mam or sir, then tell you it will pull anything on thier lot.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #5

Mel, CharlieZ is correct. We had one trailer that an Alpenlite 32 RL Augusta the GVW est. 13,400. Our truck was a 1999 Dodge dually diesel manual transmission GCVW 20,000. Our actual weight hooked up ready to roll was 20,440. It looks like you will be either real close or over the GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight)
Michael Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 16,700# tow rating on the Ford is based on a base model truck, std cab, no cargo, no hitch and the only passenger is a 150# driver. Once you add options, cargo, hitch and accessories, the !6700# number is reduced accordingly. If you are loking at 5ers in the 15 to 16K# range, you need to be sure of your limits. Look at the Tow Boss packge on the F350 Dually...26,000# GCWR. Otherwise you will need to look at the F450 or 4500 trucks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #7

The link in my sig on RV weights might help.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #8

Second the motion

Salesmen will tell you anything.

Ken(above) has a really good setup for explaining it to people.

take for example the situation I am in.

I have a 96 Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4 ton)Cummins 4X4. The max GCWR is 18,000, max GVWR (truck) is 8,800. With a 25ft fifth wheel, no slides, and 20% pin wieght, my truck is at maximum. The trailer transfers 1,700 to the truck. With wife, kids, hitch, fuel, stuff no trailer, its 7,100. I drive tractor trailer part time, so I know how wieghts work and I know scales.

I had a dealer try to sell me a 12,600 lb trailer saying that as long as I didn't load it down it wouldn't be a problem.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #9

Thanks guys.. Starting to think every dealer should be forced to have a scale at the dealership.. lol