Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

oil cooler?

question: Do I need oil cooler? Pulling 27' Slingshot with 07 Dodge Dakota AT, 4.7 Magnum. Weighed 9300+ on way home with only 1/2 tank water. About 115mi in 95 deg did not overheat. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #2

I sort of have the same situation. I am pulling a 34ft trailer with an F150 automatic and I think it is rougher on the transmission than on the engine. I believe I will at least put in an automatic transmission fluid cooler. I am only going to pull a max of 100miles ,two or three times a year. I guess it is best to have both a oil and transmission cooler,but don't really know if it is necessary.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

Anytime you tow, it is harder on the transmission and causes the fluid to heat up more. I would put one on for peace of mine. It would be a good idea to put a transmission fluid temperature gauge on also. Heat is a trans fluid killer. It's probably going to get up to operating temperature within 10-20 miles or less.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Save your time, money and potential cooler problems. For peace of mind, lower engine, transmission and gear box temperatures and higher temperature protection, I just use the highest quality chemical synthetic lubricants available with a full parts and labor warranty should the fluids ever fail. Cheap insurance. None of my vehicles have ever come close to overheating. They always run mid gauge or lower.

As a bonus, you will get better fuel economy and longer fluid life.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Both of my AT tow vehicles have a trans cooler, cheap insurance.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
You need a cooler and a trans temp gauge.

I installed an Edge Insight monitor in my truck. It plugs into the OBD2 port under dash. I can read 20+ of the truck's sensors. I monitor, trans temp, engine oil temp, voltage, turbo boost. I also added the probe so I could monitor exhaust temp.

Drive by my gauges.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
A good transmission cooler and transmission temperature gauge is cheap insurance.

A tip for the Dodge - you should already have a fluid-to-water transmission cooler in one of your radiator end tanks. If you install the fluid-to-air cooler you're adding UPSTREAM (i.e., ahead of) the existing fluid-to-water cooler, you can reduce the heat load on your cooling system substantially and reduce/eliminate high coolant temperature gauge readings as you're dumping a lot of the heat from the transmission fluid before it can hit the engine coolant. Many of the transmission cooler manufacturers will advise you to install the coolers downstream of the existing cooler, and while this will perhaps give you lower final transmission temperature readings, it won't help as much with getting rid of the heat load before it's dumped into the engine coolant. I did the installation I'm recommending with a 1996 Dodge 3500 dually with the V-10 engine and 47RE automatic transmission, and it worked wonders for both the engine coolant and transmission temperature readings when towing a 13,500 lb GVWR 5th wheel.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPSDX
You need a cooler and a trans temp gauge.

I installed an Edge Insight monitor in my truck. It plugs into the OBD2 port under dash. I can read 20+ of the truck's sensors. I monitor, trans temp, engine oil temp, voltage, turbo boost. I also added the probe so I could monitor exhaust temp.

Drive by my gauges.
I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with the tow package with trans coolers etc. will the sedge system plug into the port to monitor trans temp?

P n J