RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Question OK...Chip OR No Chip???

Have a 2013 silverado 3500HD Duramax CC SRW 53,000 miles and runs and tows 37' Silverback without any issues! Family member is telling me to add a Chip to it. He says it will increase mileage (around 13.5 mpg towing now) and boost performance. Reluctant but open minded. Could some of you with experience give me some guidance on this one please? Don't want to mess up a good performing truck. Thank you all...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
If you will be in CA, you don't want a truck with modified emissions. Also, Dealers may refuse to service it. There are issues with chips.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

BuzzWolfAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

The first thing my dealer asks at each service is if I have chipped. I don't. But I did ask what if I said yes they said they would refuse service.

I have to admit I am curious about the advantages.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
If you will be in CA, you don't want a truck with modified emissions. Also, Dealers may refuse to service it. There are issues with chips.

Michigan boy here so California not an issue. Just don't want to take my truck that I'm happy with and start playing with it...seems like Russian Roulette to me

Old 06-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I'm from Arkansas, but pulling my trailer through CA as I text today. If I get stopped, they can check emissions, especially if they see ANY smoke.

BuzzWolfAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

I've got a mild tune on mine and increased the mileage 1.5 to 2 mpg. (plus a little more responsive) If youre getting over 13 now I doubt you'll improve it much.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Have a 2013 silverado 3500HD Duramax CC SRW 53,000 miles and runs and tows 37' Silverback without any issues! Family member is telling me to add a Chip to it. He says it will increase mileage (around 13.5 mpg towing now) and boost performance. Reluctant but open minded. Could some of you with experience give me some guidance on this one please? Don't want to mess up a good performing truck. Thank you all...
If you're getting 13.5 towing that 5th wheel you will not beat that. I've got a 2016 D/A 2500 4x4. I can't even get 13.5 driving my truck around town empty. On the road with the cruise set at about 70 mph I can barely get 16 mpg. And thats driving empty and towing nothing. If you're getting that best leave it alone.

What I've seen with tuners is they alter the fuel mileage counter on the dash. They increase what the readout says when in actuality they reduce mpg. Now they do increase horsepower and can make a truck really run fast. But as always, extra power means extra fuel.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

If you are happy with the towing now, why mess with it. (now I have moved up each time they have boosted power, but... )
You have to remember when they are giving you the "extra" power and you are actually needing it you are generating heat that was not originally planned for. That can cause additional issues if the computer starts to "save" the engine by cutting power due to heat. It may very well detune more than the tuner added....
Old 06-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
If you are happy with the towing now, why mess with it. (now I have moved up each time they have boosted power, but... )
You have to remember when they are giving you the "extra" power and you are actually needing it you are generating heat that was not originally planned for. That can cause additional issues if the computer starts to "save" the engine by cutting power due to heat. It may very well detune more than the tuner added....
I truly thank and appreciate everyone's input. I max out at 65 towing or not. Engine seems to run smooth and without any hiccups. I'm 63 and in no need to be anywhere fast...been there done that... I would kick myself in the ash if I ruined a good thing

Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #10

Unless said family member intends to pay for the repairs on your truck.... and you are have g no issues the truck in stock form I would not chip it.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #11

I had a programer in my last truck and liked it, but it is not as simple as "put it in and things will be better".

With mine I was able to select the level for what I wanted to do.

Once you do a programer, can you feed enough fuel, do you have enough air coming in, do you have enough booster to keep your EGR's down? When you start playing with one area of your truck performance it effects others.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #12

Plus with a programmer, it would behoove you to have an EGR gauge. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to have one anyway.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #13

OK...Chip OR No Chip???

A "tuner" will invariably shorten component life. Auto trans, injectors, etc.

Point being that one won't "save" enough to justify it.

Underwriting vacation travel is a matter of improving solo fuel cost.

And that's by reducing annual miles travelled while still accomplishing the same ends. Reduce trip frequency (cold starts), etc.

And, drive for better solo economy.

I took up the challenge from a Cummins engineer that city and highway mpg shouldn't be too far off from each other. After all, it's steady state cruising that matters.

Improved my city mpg by 22% over an 1100-mile stretch. Extrapolated over a year it would have paid for 5k miles of trailer towing at the then fuel price.

Suffice it to say I already have a high mpg vehicle and have had economical habits for more than 45-years.

There was still room for improvement.

Keep records of every gallon. Fuelly, or another app. Paper.

Find the annual fuel cost. And gallons used. Reduce the latter.

That'll beat any tuner out there.

"More power" is a non starter. It's for those who haven't learned to drive.

I get on the Interstate several times daily and am rarely above 35-mph. Sometimes as low as 25.

Today's vehicles are far more capable than what we had in the early 1970s. In every respect. Learn to use them. Available power isn't a problem.

Be a real radical and learn how to properly merge. Or maintain more than 200' clear space ahead of you (that's a rural Interstate dead minimum). Get mirrors worthy of the name and use them. Etc. All the things and more I don't see in the usual 11k mile month.

The stock vehicle, driven intelligently and maintained on schedule, is still the way to go. 200k miles easily.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednax View Post
A "tuner" will invariably shorten component life. Auto trans, injectors, etc.

Point being that one won't "save" enough to justify it.

Underwriting vacation travel is a matter of improving solo fuel cost.

And that's by reducing annual miles travelled while still accomplishing the same ends. Reduce trip frequency (cold starts), etc.

And, drive for better solo economy.

I took up the challenge from a Cummins engineer that city and highway mpg shouldn't be too far off from each other. After all, it's steady state cruising that matters.

Improved my city mpg by 22% over an 1100-mile stretch. Extrapolated over a year it would have paid for 5k miles of trailer towing at the then fuel price.

Suffice it to say I already have a high mpg vehicle and have had economical habits for more than 45-years.

There was still room for improvement.

Keep records of every gallon. Fuelly, or another app. Paper.

Find the annual fuel cost. And gallons used. Reduce the latter.

That'll beat any tuner out there.

"More power" is a non starter. It's for those who haven't learned to drive.

I get on the Interstate several times daily and am rarely above 35-mph. Sometimes as low as 25.

Today's vehicles are far more capable than what we had in the early 1970s. In every respect. Learn to use them. Available power isn't a problem.

Be a real radical and learn how to properly merge. Or maintain more than 200' clear space ahead of you (that's a rural Interstate dead minimum). Get mirrors worthy of the name and use them. Etc. All the things and more I don't see in the usual 11k mile month.

The stock vehicle, driven intelligently and maintained on schedule, is still the way to go. 200k miles easily.
Mr. Rednax...Thanks for the Great Info...funny thing..."IT MAKES SENSE"!!! I consider myself lucky to have been able to purchase a 2013 3500hd Duramax that was spoiled by it's original owner...very well taken care of...no issues at all. I do not want to be greedy and start demanding more as this truck does everything very well and doesn't ask for anything more than regular care and maintenance.