Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would your tow vehicle handle your trailer? I do not know, have not done the research.

Is a bigger tow vehicle better? YES. always.

Can your tow vehicle be too big.. Well, technically NO, though pulling a PUP with a semi tractor might look a bit weird... It would be safe! (I know your trailer is not a PUP but I'm trying to describe an extreme here).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004 View Post
I can't sleep for worrying. So I decided to swap my Subaru for my mom's Buick Rainer for the camping trip this weekend. Think I could have made it, but if I am wrong, it could really get messy. Just not worth risking the lives and/or the car on a maybe, think I could.

Before my dad got sick he towed a 29' with a slide, with this, so I know it'll pull the 21' anywhere. My dad added heavy duty springs, and self leveling shocks, as well as transmission cooler. 5.7l engine should pull 3,000 lbs plus people I am sure. And I won't have to flip out about what I am carrying. Just not too excited about the mpg.

My mom's been talking about trading it off on a smaller car, with better gas mileage, so it'll probably end up being my new tow vehicle.
Just so you're aware, I really hate being wrong.
Good to see that you went to a heavier TV. You won't regret it. Some thing that bothers me is, you said on your other thread that you had 90lbs hitch weight. Not enough for 2700 Lb of TT weight. You need 10/12%. Light hitch weight leads to sway. I'm here to tell you that is NO FUN. Why do I know that?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well - how did it go?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #18

Good and bad.

My bother talked to my mom and told her id ruin her car if i towed with it, so she changed her mind. She wants a smaller car but he says she can't afford the it. Of course he is the beneficiary when her time comes. Erks me.

Setting this aside, the trip went great. I watched everything like a hawk and drove slow, but it wasn't half as tense as i thought. I got no sway from trucks unless they were directly in front of me. We spent most of the drive comparing other possible TV that passed us. Now the hills on the country roads did remind me i was under powered. My mpg were 14. That shocked me.

I honestly wouldn't take it to Maine, but for short in state travels I'll be good until i can upgrade.

In three months I'll be living in it full time anyway.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

how would you feel about another 10' in length - 2' in width - 1,200 more pounds and not having the mirrors to see your tail end?
Not that is matters or anyone's interested, but i bought a super lite. Advertised for six cyclinders. Actually 7 x 19. Hitch adds two feet? And I popped $90 for extended mirrors. They were a must. I think the 16ft would have done me better, but my wife wears the pants.
Id been happier with his H6, though, especially since he's getting the same mpg basically.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken90004

Not that is matters or anyone's interested, but i bought a super lite. Advertised for six cyclinders. Actually 7 x 19. Hitch adds two feet? And I popped $90 for extended mirrors. They were a must. I think the 16ft would have done me better, but my wife wears the pants.
Id been happier with his H6, though, especially since he's getting the same mpg basically.
Somewhere along the line - here and on the other threads - you and a few others got the impression I and some others were doggin ya and giving ya something to get up tight about. That wasn't the case. There was an assumption that the "weight police" were raining on your parade with ill will and shaking a finger. It may have moved that way - but it wasn't intended to be that way. Everything is what ya make it, and there is a difference between making an observation and offering an thought on that - and actually getting or taking it personally. When that happens I bow out. But even your opening here - "not that it matters or anyone cares" - is still right there in the moment. Some of us may have had other ideas - even disagreed - but we would not have replied if we felt it or you didn't matter or we weren't interested.

If I offended along the way - apologies around. I will approach your future threads differently or not at all - as I try to help - not offend.
Steve

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote