Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
a late night talk show host on KMOX st. louis, mo. always spoke the same basic phrase-"you can't fix stupid". 100% on.

JOE.. LEO(ret.)-active USCGAUX-
ck. our website:www.overmountainsams.com
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
I found this on another site (http://www.msgroup.org) written by a James Davis. I mentioned this to a coworker who tows overweight. Got him thinking...

Do not think of breaking frames or blown out tires or bottoming out suspensions or difficulty braking when you need it ... think more generally. Imagine, for example, that you are involved in an accident that is not your fault and one or both of the two of you are severely injured. Then think of filing a law suit against the person, or manufacturer, or city or ... in an attempt to 'recover', at least financially, and having the phrase 'severely overloaded' used in virtually every sentence that comes out of the mouth of the defendant's attorney. Then you will begin to see the bigger picture.

aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
It is very interesting to see folks here conflating multiple issues and then talking about ignorance and stupidity.

One issue is that of multiple towed vehicles. This is not legal in many states.

Another issue is that of proper signaling, again, a legal issue.

Then there is the load rating issue which is not a legal issue but one which seems to bring out the 'police' mentality for folks who like to look down their noses at others.

Then there is the driver courtesy and risky behavior issue.

And, of course, the discussion devolves in support of the more inane load rating with gross exaggerations and FUD mongering leaving the more obvious problems in the dust.

BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #18
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Bryan ... 'conflating multiple issues' is why a forum exists i thought, to hash out ideas,
towing heavy can be a danger to everyone on the road, and its danger is quickly compounded by towing doubles (fishtailing) or towing without proper signaling (pilot visability and reaction time).
All those things go together.

and i believe that your disdain(?) for the 'inane load ratings' which apparently leads some of us to 'gross exagerations, mongering, and overlooking of the real problem' ...
... well i think that being RV-overweight is much easier to do then failure to follow proper signaling laws, because of the ambiguity of weight ratings ....
..... BUT at the same time the weight problems can often cause much more serious problems then signaling problems, unbeknowest to the unlearned.

So the weight issues are sometimes ambiguous and yet potentially deadly at the same time.

Did i even come close to understanding your post? well indeed, what are the more 'obvious problems that we leave in the dust' in our confused state ?
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Bryan, you make interesting comments, but ones that to my mind raise questions about why you made them. I originally started this post, so I guess I have at least the right to defend it.

Regardless of what the true definition of "overloaded" means, especially to my tongue in cheek, look down the nose, reference to the towing police, a person who endangers the safety of other road users is acting in a criminally irresponsible manner.

I have no quarrel with the slow speed that such a rig ascends a moderate hill. I do however have a real concern over the uncontrolled manner that such a rig descends the downside of such a hill.

During the making of such an uncontrolled descent, variously described in other posts, the driver of the "overloaded" rig is at best only capable of steering an approximate course on the road. Any un-anticipated road irregularity, gust of wind, overly tight corner, adverse camber, or having to accommodate an unexpected action from other road user's actions can only add to the uncertainty of his control of the rig.

It is a reasonable expectation for any driver, that other users, sharing the same stretch of road, should at least be capable of a modicum of control of their vehicle. They should as a minimum be able to expect that all other drivers be able to stay within their lane, to be able to brake within a reasonable and predictable distance, and to be able to perform simple avoidance procedures without endangering others.

If a driver cannot contol his vehicle to such an extent, he should not be on the road.

'2011 Cameo 37 RESLS

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
You stated that very well. I agree with you!

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
[Moderator hat on]

OK, I haven't checked this thread since yesterday afternoon, so I'm a little late with this.

Folks, just a reminder that vigorous discussion of a topic is welcomed and encouraged. Flaming, abrasive, inciting or other such negative comments directed at other individuals are, however, not tolerated here on iRV2.

[Moderator hat off]

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
Sorry Rusty.

My apologies to everyone, including BryanL.

'2011 Cameo 37 RESLS

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #23
North Central Texas Area Leader
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sheff69:
Sorry Rusty.

My apologies to everyone, including BryanL.

Sheff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reason to apologise to me ! your point was right on. It is a shame that people do not use their brains when it comes to not towing overloaded and driving sanely under the conditions they are in. IMHO that is the theme of this very informative thread.

Don & Pat Allen - Texas Boomers - Honorary Oklahoma Boomers
2003 Keystone Everest 323P - 2003 Dodge Ram 3500
allendp is offline   Reply With Quote