Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
One of those people lol...towing with a 12 valver cummins

OK so we were one of those people that listened to the dealer man selling us a 5th wheel that I think is too heavy for our rig. We have a 2000 crossroads all american with a empty weight of 9400 lbs. Our rig is a 97 Dodge dually one ton with automatic tranny. When I got the truck I put a fuel plate, air flow kit and exhaust with 175k miles. Other than that its stock. When traveling with no load there is no problems. However while hauling the 5th wheel I feel the slipping. So bad that we only got 6 mpg on this last trip compared to 10 previously. With no load I usually average around 19. So the question is where to go from here. Getting a new rig is not an option; and neither is getting rid of the 5th wheel. So it comes down to transmission and power.

1. Are we way out of line with a 12 valver pulling 9-11 k
2. What is a good tranny that will hold its own not raking me over the coals
3. Are there any other mods you can do for a 12 valver to increase power and if so what are the downfalls and benefits

We would like to eventually hit the road for a year and are also wondering if there is a site that advertises camp hosts openings or jobs. Both of us are in good shape and I was a maintenance guy for 8 years after retiring from the military. Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
The truck you have is more than capable of handling a load of that size and I've seen them towing a lot more weight than that.

From what you describe, I think a new torque converter and some other transmission upgrades are in order.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." -- Plato
Mikey-KE7LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Torque converter and tranny rebuild with upgrades is a lor cheaper than a new truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't know what the stock gear ratio is but lowering it (higher number) might be a consideration.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
According to some on the forum you should get at least 20 mpg when towing!!

Sounds like you need to follow the advice already given: new torque converter, rebuilt trans (heavy duty rebuild) and maybe a different rear end ratio.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
goerend transmissions,, check them out
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
As I remember that truck has a 47RE automatic, Which was never noted for being the strongest transmission when the motor is more than stock. So I would guess your transmission is toast. Go shopping for a rebuild. Suncoast is one that does a lot of upgrades. Don't forget a torque converter, and while you are at it check out your rear end ratio.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On another forum there used to be a poster who's sig included the phrase "There's No Replacement for Displacement" And a photo of his tow vehicle... A Peterbuilt as I recall.

Your rig has the HP to do the job.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Thanks for all the replies. Been checking out the local power tranny shops and will see who makes me feel comfortable about their work. Then its off into the sunset
rangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
As I remember that truck has a 47RE automatic, Which was never noted for being the strongest transmission when the motor is more than stock. So I would guess your transmission is toast. Go shopping for a rebuild. Suncoast is one that does a lot of upgrades. Don't forget a torque converter, and while you are at it check out your rear end ratio.
I've been there. I had a 96, increased HP by 30. Then it destroyed the A/T when towing our 5er. Dodge de-rated the Cummins B5.9 to avoid having to upgrade their drivetrain in the mid-ninties. You may read all about this at dodgeram.org
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Master of Disaster

Transmission was always the weak point; once rebuilt with upgrades we routinely hauled bigger loads (vintage farm equipment) over the Rockies without issue.

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
Ranger Bob, take some time to investigate some of the "Bomber" forums for your Dodge, there are many good options available to you. There are members in our local NW club who put 600-800 Hp to the ground and tow their trailers with ease. The NW board for us is Northwest Bombers These are a great bunch of fellas... and a couple of fe-fellas who would happily point you in the rite direction.
99 F350 4X sc 6sp Dually, 03 Montana 3655FL/5er

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
When I bought my 97, 12 valve, I had to go out of town to find a stick shift. No way was I going to pull my 5er with an auto.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We pull a 33 foot 13K pound 5er with our 1998 auto trans cummins 12 valve. We haven't done any mods yet. Pulling in the mountains it tops out at 45 mph. The trans isn't slipping, but pretty sure the torque converter is dying a slow death.
Look around to see if you can get a good rebuild for about $2500 including TC...goerend and suncoast will cost close to $3500.

Go to www.workamper.com for job listings for camp hosts and other opportunities.

Tim and Mary---1998 Dodge 2500 diesel--1998 Coachmen Catalina 320 RKS
Blue Road Blogger---BLOG
BlueRoadBlog is offline   Reply With Quote