Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #15

One choice would be to consider buying an used travel trailer for now and work on getting/finding the right towing combo for that 5th wheel. As nice as 5th wheels are there are some TT that real nice with lots of space too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Let's not confuse "legal" and "safe". The weights and measures enforcement is aimed at the following:

1. Revenue generation - to ensure that the vehicles are licensed and/or permitted for the load they are carrying or are capable are carrying

2. Protection of roads and bridges - thus, the maximum axle loading and axle spacing regulations

3. Operator licensing - ensuring that the operator is licensed to operate a vehicle that is licensed/permitted for a particular weight

It's very possible to be "legal" and over a manufacturer's ratings. Example - in Class 8 rigs, the truck's GVWR is generally the sum of its GAWRs. That is NOT the case with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The GVWR of a dually is generally LESS than the sum of the GAWRs. If the weights and measures enforcers are only looking at tire and axle ratings while ignoring the manufacturer's GVWR and GCWR, it's quite possible to be within the truck's GAWR and tire ratings but over the manufacturer's rated GVWR and/or GCWR.

As has been stated many times (and undoubtedly will be stated many times in the future), if one wants to select a truck and trailer that will operate within the manufacturer's ratings, then the calculation tools provided in the sticky thread at the top of this Towing and Tow Vehicles forums will allow one to do so. If, on the other hand, manufacturer's ratings don't matter, then hitch up that 16K+ GVWR 5th wheel to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck and have at it.

Rusty
Lets not confuse your opinion with facts. carrying weight legally is safe. The OP is about a very capable '11 F250 4x4 a 12k-13k 5th wheel and has nothing to do with class eight tractors.

1. Carrying weight legally with a F250 has zero to do with revenue generation. Bad misconception. I carry weight legally on my 2500/3500 DRW and its safe as it using the manufactures numbers.

2. Our LDT trucks don't come under any bridge formula restrictions.

3. Licensed weight has nothing to do with carrying weight legally per the F250 manufactures GAWRs.

As far as the sticky goes there is nothing in forum rules that members are required to use your sticky.

A legally loaded truck is safe. A illegally loaded truck is unsafe and dangerous.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb

Jimnlin, you are the one that keeps wanting to drag commercial ratings into the discussion. The referenced thread explaining tow ratings is good information for newbie to use to make an informed decision.

I notice you drive a 3/4 ton truck and the 3/4 ton drivers are tho mos adament ones to defend exceeding manufacturers ratings. As a registered engineer, I will not knowlinly tell people to exceed a manfacturers rating.

The mission on irv2 has always been to provided useful information to members.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Jimnlin, you are the one that keeps wanting to drag commercial ratings into the discussion. The referenced thread explaining tow ratings is good information for newbie to use to make an informed decision.

I notice you drive a 3/4 ton truck and the 3/4 ton drivers are tho mos adament ones to defend exceeding manufacturers ratings. As a registered engineer, I will not knowlinly tell people to exceed a manfacturers rating.

The mission on irv2 has always been to provided useful information to members.

Ken
Commercial ratings ?? Your mistaking as Rusty brought up his version of commercial rating. The word commercial first came up in wingnut60 reply to my suggestion the OP contact his state size and weights folks.

While were pointing fingers why don't you contact your state size and weights folks for a better understanding of weight regulations concerning private and commercial. Both are one and the same for loads a truck may legally carry. You will also learn the state uses both GVWR and the GAWRs. Its really simple even for a engineer.

What I drive is irrevelent. I currently own a (wifes)1500/ (my)2500 and (our) older '96 3500 DRW truck. However that has zero to do with the subject.

According to our homepage ; Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Much different than your conception of what our forum is and should be.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #19

Manufacturer's ratings are just that: the recommendation of a private individual. Call it, what they are comfortable recommending. They have no force of law.

The much ballyhooed SAE J2807 "standard" may make for some brand to brand comparisons easier, but it's still got big enough holes in it to drive one of these pickup trucks through. Nothing new, in other words.

Tire ratings. Axle ratings. These are central and foremost.

Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel