Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Optimizing the Tow Vehicle (shocks and bullydog tuner?)

My tow vehicle is the '06 crew cab, Sierra 1500 with 5.3 liter v8. The truck has 105000 miles on it and has done an acceptable job so far. It's time for new shocks. It rides like a car, I'd much rather have it ride like a truck and have a little less bounce when towing.
Shock suggestions appreciated.

I'm also thinking of putting a bullydog tuner on it. It's not like I'll be violating the warrantee. My intention here is to make it a little easier to maintain speed where I want to when towing. Suggestions appreciated here too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you planning on keeping the current rv for the foreseeable future ?!?

Unless you are, I wouldn't put any money into a 8 or 9 yr old truck...

besides, a tuner on a gasser will only give you minimal gains, if anything, not enough to be worth it (IMHO)

Old 07-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As John said, don't waste your money on a tune for your old gasser pickup. Different story if you had a diesel.

For shocks, replace them with Bilstein HD. ShockWarehouse is one source:

Manufacturer: Bilstein Brand: 4600 Heavy Duty (B6)

Part Number Position Package Qty

24-029025 Front 1 $65.70 each
Free Shipping
Important: 1999-2006 and 2007 Classic Also

24-029032 Rear 1 $65.70 each
Free Shipping
Important: For use on trucks with up to 1 inch of suspension lift.
For 2007 use on Classic model ONLY.

Complete Set Front and Rear
Bilstein 4600 Heavy Duty (B6) $262.80 set of 4
Free Shipping

Bilstein Truck Shocks - Shockwarehouse.com
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #4

No plans to change RVs, this one is doing well for us. Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhauler View Post
No plans to change RVs, this one is doing well for us.
If by "RVs" you mean both truck and trailer, then the problem is cost of hot-rodding your old Chevy to have more power and torque without decreasing the longevity and reliability of the truck. Yes, it can be done. but not cheap.

Before you add a "towing" tune, you must have gauges - pyrometer and tranny temp gauges that show numbers, not just color ranges. Drive by the gauges and NEVER allow more than 225° tranny temp or 1,250° exhaust gas temp (EGT).

Next you need to improve both intake and exhaust systems to provide a free flow of air both in and out of the engine. For the exhaust a minimum of replacing the muffler with a straight-thru performance muffler (but not a racket-making illegal straight pipe). Even better is a cat-back custom performance exhaust system designed for your engine.

Then after you have the intake, exhaust and gauges, you can look for a towing tune. BullyDog makes generic tunes that may be better than stock tunes, but not much better.

Much better is Banks. They have several different products for your engine, beginning with the AutoMind programmer:

Banks Power | 1999-2013 Chevy/GMC - 5.3 >>AutoMind® Programmer

Sierra/Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe, etc.
1999-2013 5.3L
+ 14.9-25.1 HP
+ 15.4-33.5 lb-ft

Note there are no wild claims of HP or torque increases. Banks won't sell you something that will reduce engine longevity or reliability. But 15 to 25 added HP will "wake up" your engine, and make towing much more pleasurable.

Even better is the Banks Power Pack or Stinger kits, that include intake and exhaust mods along with the AutoMind. Not cheap, and you can probably get similar intake and exhaust systems for less money if you will become expert in where to look.

After you price the Banks Power Pack or Stinger kits, you'll understand why John and I recommended you skip the towing tune on an older pickup. They are a small percentage of your investment in a newer truck worth $30k to $50k, but an extravagance on an older truck unless you plan to keep the truck "forever".
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

Thanks, I'm really kind of satisfied with the power, but thought a tuner might help with transmission shift points.

I towed the tt from Chattanooga, TN to Summerville, GA across Lookout Mtn a few weeks back. I was lost. But the truck did fine.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Xyz
Old 07-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

You might also consider a Supersprings or similar kit if you want a little more resistance in your rear (the truck's, not yours) in addition to the shocks. Or maybe air bags to firm things up a little. These are all things that can be done by anyone who can hold a wrench and read instructions. It won't increase your listed towing capacity, but it does make a half ton feel a bit more stabile when carrying a load.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Thanks MarkQ, I don't need to increase the listed towing capacity, but I want it to tow it's capacity as enjoyably/safely as possible.

Tags
shocks, tow