Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #85

Another perspective on traveling speed.

Just got back from a trip that was 1900 miles out, and 1900 miles back.

All interstate.

There was some where the speed limit was 70, some was 55 (in Cali), but most of it was 75 & 80 mph. (regardless of the speed limits, most traffic was going 10 over the limits)

On the way out I set my cruise at 65 mph, except in Cali where I set it at 55 mph.

My tires are rated at 75 mph, and I have TPMS. I can pull much faster, my TV is no where near maxed out. I drove at 65 mph because it is a very comfortable relaxed speed, gets good mpg, and I was in no hurry.

I stayed in the right most lane and was passed constantly. INCLUDING in California where semi's and other trucks pulling trailers were routinely running 5-15 mph over the speed limit.

At no point did I see where traffic got piled up behind me, or where it appeared there were any close calls due to folks getting around me.

That said, I am sure there was frustration on some folks part, especially truckers that may have been governed at 68 or 70, where they had to wait a bit to slowly make they're way around me.

On the trip back, I kept my cruise on 55 mph in Cali, and was again amazed that I did not observe anyone towing that observed that limit.

The rest of the way I put my cruise on 72 mph (instead of 65 mph). This probably saved me about 3 hours driving time, and I was in a bit of a time crunch to get back home.

Again, I was passed constantly, but there were some instances (unlike on the drive out) that I passed some trucks.

There was one time that there was a near accident when someone attempted to get around me. It was an SUV pulling a trailer with another SUV on it. His TV was not up to the load, but he was in a hurry.

I watched him merge onto the interstate, and even at 60 and 65 that trailer was wagging away. As he was merging I moved over to the left lane to give him plenty of room, and sped up to 75 mph to limit my time near him. Once I was well past him I dropped by down to 72 mph.

It was not long before he attempted to pass me. I watched twice in my side mirrors as he would get up almost enough speed to pass, but his trailer would get to wagging so much that he had to slow down to get it to stop.

The third time he attempted to pass, he was still behind me, but slowly gaining, doing maybe 2-3 mph faster than I...the trailer started to violently sway back and forth. I thought for sure he was going to lose control. He braked pretty hard and got the swaying to stop. After that incident (which probably necessitated a change of his shorts) he backed off his speed substantially, and 5 minutes later he was so far back I could no longer see him.

Could I have slowed down and let him pass me? Yep! But the last thing I wanted was to be behind that accident waiting to happen.

For hundreds of miles in Texas where the speed limit was 80, and most folks were doing 90...I was doing 65, and yes, some did have to work their way around me. Did I feel bad, or like I was causing a danger in the roadway? No. No big lines piled up behind me, waiting to pass, and I was going pretty much the same speed as a number of Semi's that seemed to be governed in the 65-68 area.

The only place where there was apparent frustration by other drivers was in California where I was going the max speed limit of 55. I did cause some folks some heartburn there. What can I say? I was doing the limit, with the heavy traffic and the desire to avoid a ticket, I was not comfortable going faster than the limit.

I realize LEO's probably have a 5-8 mph cushion over the limit before they would typically give a speeding ticket. I just was not willing to take that chance, and I did not feel bad for the folks that were texting and attempting to drive at the same time being upset with me for not going over the limit.

We had a great trip, were never uncomfortable, and besides the SUV towing, never observed anywhere that someone was in a dangerous situation because of our speed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 AM   #86

I always tow at 70 - 72mph. I set the cruise and can stay in the right lane easy. No one backs up behind me. I will pass a semi now and then and some will pass me. I95 is all level highway, at least the part I travel. There seems to be enough contraction areas to slow down to 55mph.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #87

Even if I towed at 70-72 I would not state it on the internet as it is speeding in most states. What do speed do you tow at in the states that have a 55 mph limit for trailers?
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
Even if I towed at 70-72 I would not state it on the internet as it is speeding in most states. What do speed do you tow at in the states that have a 55 mph limit for trailers?
Wouldnt post it on the net?? What will happen? Theyll send him a fine? Come on now.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #89

I figure if I tow as fast as most of the semi's I will be ok. Just blend into that right lane traffic and pass the slower moving traffic when needed. If you travel the same speed at thd semi's I think you will be ok.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #90

Options for towing a 9,000lb trailer - as I now see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I always tow at 70 - 72mph. I set the cruise and can stay in the right lane easy. No one backs up behind me. I will pass a semi now and then and some will pass me. I95 is all level highway, at least the part I travel. There seems to be enough contraction areas to slow down to 55mph.
I’ll borrow this as I see it all the time:

At 70 you’re so far beyond what that rig or you can safely handle that’s it’s ridiculous. Can’t maneuver or stop.

So, first:

Someone running 58-mph is acting in a legal manner.

But the left lane being used for travel is ILLEGAL

Traveling within 100’ of another, also illegal.

Blocking access to the passing lane, illegal.

Because today’s drivers never had a father. Only a baby daddy. And that’s only for the Americans. If that’s you (bunched up with others) I’ll happily explain in person your Daddy didn’t give a damn about you. (What about your sons?).

The others were never supposed to be in this country. The highways are yet more evidence of that. Pay attention.

The risk factor is the same as drunk teenagers with firearms: once is all it takes.

I assuredly po’d a Marine gunnery sergeant that he’d never be allowed to handle firearms in the proximity of my family based on the way he drove. That threat would be answered immediately.

Back to the road:

The guy running slower isn’t causing the problem.

It’s the insistence on running 70 in a 70 thats the problem. Innate stupidity.

Traffic volume is a top speed determinant. Not the posted limit.

Vehicle spacing is the game. Not less than 300’ and preferably always above 700’.

They’ll pass you and gather just ahead of you.

Watch the schooling and flocking behavior. Avoid it. These are 12-year olds (dumb 12-yr olds) behind the wheel.

Ever been in rural traffic where you’re surrounded? Ever heard the phrase, “Can’t fix stupid?”

That’s you (whomever).

Let’s make this easier. There is no right-of-way in the passing lane. That lane doesn’t exist EXCEPT when passing. Not overtaking. It is never a travel lane. Ever.

A slower guy up ahead? Then move over 300-350’ out. ROW exists in the right lane only. The passing lane is there to facilitate movement from the right lane ONLY.

I passed 120k miles for this calendar year last week. Left -laners don’t exist. My turn signal is not my asking for permission. Understand the laws and use them.

Is my skill and experience and record better than you or others you know? Yes, it is. So what? This isn’t about the irrelevancy of skill.

1). Travel BELOW the flow of cars. Almost always at limit and above. And almost all big trucks are at 65+ governors now.

BINGO! 64-mph is RV maximum (under very best conditions).

2). WATCH the mirrors and cancel cruise down 10-mph to get those passing around you ASAP.

You’re the problem when someone is barely overtaking you in a pass. Just because they’re stupid doesn’t mean you have to be. Drop it to 50.

3). Pull out to pass 300-350’ early. Pass at MORE than a 7-mph variance. Stand on it.

4). NEVER EVER EVER get trapped behind someone else passing the same vehicle. The whole shot needs to be clear.

I don’t care if they’re backed up to Timbuktu behind you. The fact is that you’re already doing a bad job. You should have let that pack of morons go around first. Stayed a quarter-mile back. And passed aaaalll alone. Even if (oh my) for miles and miles and miles you were “trapped” behind that short bus.

4). With a big truck, don’t re-enter the right lane ahead of him until 150’ ahead. At least 7 or 8 center stripes from rig rear. (Watch for jerks moving into that lane once around big truck. I put on signal and proceed into it only a little more slowly. I own that space in that lane).

The stupid people will do what they’ve always done. Die. (And good riddance). Don’t go down with them. When they panic, it’s in a group. Stay away. Do NOT let them dictate your actions.

Take pictures of the others when they try to brake-check you. “Teach you a lesson!!” Ha! When they screw up you need to be AT FULL THROTTLE.

Braking is for later.

Do you understand why?

Determine that if a wreck occurs that YOU will survive. That is: upright and lane centered.

A 4WD pickup is the worst TV. And the worst TT has slides and is on leaf springs. Handicapped. Only the new guys with ten or twenty years believe a pickup to be any good. Don’t believe that profound ignorance.

52-55/mph with Hensley patent hitch is the limit for maneuvers (double lane change; throttle-on) with a 2WD IFS pickup.

It’s well into the 70s with the best rigs.

An aero TT and a TV with independent suspension will have been far better. Stopping, steering and maneuvering. Lower risk in every mile & situation. And solo. Where it matters most.

So figure out when you’re above that speed (in the worst trailering rig) what you MUST do. It must ALL happen in a straight line. Dry unbroken pavement.

Thus

If you don’t know the OODA Loop, read up. Learn to predict.

Bind the day’s drive with stops planned ahead. Execute the legs. 300 or 3 o’clock is still best for RVers. Have a plan.

Stop thinking ALTOGETHER that travel set speed bears relation to how fast you get there.

It’s all about the average speed for the trip. Set speed is one factor out of four that determine the average.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #91

Options for towing a 9,000lb trailer - as I now see it.

Oh, and my 35’ TT is 9k. A TW of just above 1k. Easily handled by many cars & SUVs. A lower risk than with pickups. That is, if one understands how a WDH works.

My setup is such that even if your rig is smaller, I can run rings around you. You and all the fivers will roll over before I lift a wheel.

But I travel at 58-mph. Just as I did starting 46-years ago.

And that’s more than a dozen years after I first travelled with family this way.

Risk reduction is first the equipment spec (and verifying the hitch rigging).

Second is a workable daily plan.

Third is continual adjustment to conditions.

It’s the uneventful day on the road that counts for the most. Chasing shirt-sleeve weather. Enjoying the scenery.

Not saving ten minutes to get the cheap beer and TV remote in hand. Driven by those legally defined as morons.

That’s the choice. Grow a pair. The bad information on RV forums is atrocious. Start fresh. Use that high school edumacation.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #92

I just spent five minutes trying to decipher that mess and all i got was that youre an awesome driver, everyone else is a moron, and no vehicle with a trailer needs to tow more than 58mph. Oh, and the spacing distances.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #93

Rednax speaks in hyperbole, and says nothing that’s really useful or relevant.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I think that long post that you tried to decipher was made by someone impaired by drugs...IMHO.

Sorry, most of what he said is true, and the law. But you obviously don't know it.

Don't bother responding to this as I'm done with some of the attitude on this post, and won't be back.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #95

"A 4WD pickup is the worst TV. And the worst TT has slides and is on leaf springs. Handicapped. Only the new guys with ten or twenty years believe a pickup to be any good. Don’t believe that profound ignorance."

What does this mean? 4WD pickups are no good as TV's or they are? TT with leaf springs and slides is the worst or not. If so guess I'm screwed all the way around.

I think I may agree with some of what he said, maybe, I'm not sure.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #96

Notice the TV in his signature. [Moderator Edit]
Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
Sorry, most of what he said is true, and the law. But you obviously don't know it.

Don't bother responding to this as I'm done with some of the attitude on this post, and won't be back.
The problem is i dont know what was said.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
The problem is i dont know what was said.
LOL....he may not either as he repeated himself in his two replies.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer