Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #71

I thought I posted pics, oh well here are some.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #72

Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #73

Old 04-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #74

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
The interiors of the X5 look just like the other high end BMW's that I've seen. I'd say the new RAM is about as nice. My wife drives a 750LI, that's about as nice as they make and I'm actually not that impressed. We had a 550 before, same as the 750. BMW's are very plain in my opinion. Comfortable, nice leather, but boring interiors. The Heads Up is awesome though, should be an option on lots of other vehicles

Don't even get me started on their crappy run flat tires. As soon as the lease is over next March I'm done with BMW and we've had one for several years. The tires are a piece of junk that no one keeps in stock. Have a blowout and you're screwed if traveling and away from a big city. Only people that carry them is the BMW dealerships and they wanted almost double the price as my tire shop that can get them within 1-2 days. I'll never own another one if they have run flats. We've never had one issue with the cars, local dealer has been outstanding. That's how much I hate the tires. Hit a pot hole and its $400 because the tire gets a huge bubble.

Okay, off my soap box. The new RAMS are awesome, interiors are great. That will be a beautiful rig, doesn't get much nicer than your combination in my opinion. Would love to see some photos.
The run flat tireas are exactly why we bought the '05 EX-L Odyssey rather than the Touring model. Didn't want to be in Podunk and not be able to get a tire repaired. Shoudl ahve done what others have done though. Gotten the Touring then bought new wheels and tires when new tires were needed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #75

Cummins,,, Beautiful Truck !!!! Nice the are even putting on cooling ribs on the rear end cover... Used to be only hot rods.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #76

Beautiful truck, really like the seats. Is that a lock on your B&W hitch? I have the Retrax Pro bed cover that locks but still would like to be able to lock my 5th wheel hitch.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #77

We've been looking at a used New Horizons coach that has a GVWR clost to 26K although I doubt it would get loaded much over 24K.

Although I'd like a HDT the reality is that the DW doesn't want a truck that's that tall to climb in. So we're currently looking at a RAM 5500 Laramie 4X4 with a RAM pickup bed added plus Kelderman air bags.

For the hitch were looking at an ET Hitch Jr configured to be reasonable easy to remove when needed.

After running the numbers through several online apps it looks to be a good configuration.

The worst part is the darn lead time which I've been told is close to 4 months.

Cummins12V98, how does that compare with your order for the 3500?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Cummins,,, Beautiful Truck !!!! Nice the are even putting on cooling ribs on the rear end cover... Used to be only hot rods.....

Thanks!

I have used MagHytec in the past for trans and rear diff covers. I do like the extra cooling.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
Beautiful truck, really like the seats. Is that a lock on your B&W hitch? I have the Retrax Pro bed cover that locks but still would like to be able to lock my 5th wheel hitch.
Yes there are 5 locks! I don't trust people.

The truck has been great, the interior is really comfortable. I traded in my 11 Dually that looked exactly the same with 65K with no issues at all.

The 4:10's and Aisin trans really work well together. Amazing how easily the load get's rolling.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
We've been looking at a used New Horizons coach that has a GVWR clost to 26K although I doubt it would get loaded much over 24K.

Although I'd like a HDT the reality is that the DW doesn't want a truck that's that tall to climb in. So we're currently looking at a RAM 5500 Laramie 4X4 with a RAM pickup bed added plus Kelderman air bags.

For the hitch were looking at an ET Hitch Jr configured to be reasonable easy to remove when needed.

After running the numbers through several online apps it looks to be a good configuration.

The worst part is the darn lead time which I've been told is close to 4 months.

Cummins12V98, how does that compare with your order for the 3500?
Mine took 12.5 weeks. Most are not taking that long I think it was slowed down because of the holidays and possible the rear air ride.

The 5500 will make a great TV. I think I would go with the 3500 like I have since it would fit within the tow ratings. But hey the 5500 will be really nice!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:16 AM   #81

I thought the 3500 would work initially until I worked out the numbers. Although the tow capacity is enough the payload isn't at least for a larger New Horzions coach when the pin weight gets upward of 5,000+. You basically end up with no payload left for passengers. If it wasn't for that it would be great. That's the reason I started looking at the 5500. It still has the towing capacity but at the same time it has a lot more payload to cover the pin weight and towing.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #82

I weighed the new 15 with wife and I with 7/8 tank fuel and hitch. The rear axle was 3,848# that left 5,900# for pin.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #83

At least for our requirements it proves my point. If we went to a full tank and our two large dogs we'd be under 5700 to cover the pin weight and we'd have no margins. If we went with a lighter trailer we'd be OK.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Well the LONG awaited new truck is finally in my driveway!!!!!

Picked it up yesterday at AutoNation in Seattle.

So far with just a couple hours behind the wheel I like it. There are so many new things to learn compared to my 11 HO Dually LongHorn I traded in.

I was NOT happy with the ride. The factory had 80psi on all 6 tires so I dropped the rears to 45 and it rode MUCH better.

The Aisin/4:10 combo will really get the load moving easily compare to the 11 with 68RFE/3:42's.

The "Full On" exhaust brake mode is awesome.

The front suspension makes the 11's look wimpy! Very massive.

Have a B&W RVK3600 sitting in the bed in two boxes and am anxious to get that installed and my HighwayProducts bed height tool box installed.

Can't wait to hook up and really give it a workout!
Very nice thread about your new truck. I, too, am about to order my first-ever truck that will be just like yours, except I'm wanting the Laramie instead of the Longhorn. What do you see as the advantages of what you bought versus the lower price of the Laramie? Don't get me wrong; I love the looks of yours, I just can't justify the higher cost, unless I'm missing something.