Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabiker View Post
Very nice thread about your new truck. I, too, am about to order my first-ever truck that will be just like yours, except I'm wanting the Laramie instead of the Longhorn. What do you see as the advantages of what you bought versus the lower price of the Laramie? Don't get me wrong; I love the looks of yours, I just can't justify the higher cost, unless I'm missing something.
Thanks for the compliment.

All I can say is don't test drive a LongHorn unless your willing to spend the extra money. I was planning on a Laramie until I checked out my Parents new 12 LongHorn Dually. I proceeded to have the salesman show me Laramies but to me the leather and all the bells and whistles were well worth it. I paid 51,600 in 9 of 11 for my 11 LongHorn Dually and traded it on the new 15 with 65K on the clock and was given 38K in trade. So it only cost me $13,600 to drive the truck for 3.5 years and 65K not too bad. My opinion is the LongHorn is worth it. I bought basic for many years and now I can afford the nicest so I am willing to pay for it.

Test drive both then decide!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #86

I think I'll just do that. It's hard to find a Longhorn around here, but I'm gonna look and see if I can test drive one before I buy. I was really impressed with the Laramie that I drove, though. What a truck! It's just that I can't find one anywhere with the 4.10 rear gears. That's OK, though. I'd rather order one and get exactly what I want.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #87

The 4:10's and Aisin are a great combo. Can't wait to hook up to my new 16 MobileSuites 39TKSB3.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #88

I've got 5,000 miles of towing with my new 3500 drw with the Aisin and 4.10's, and it is the way to go. The Trans is so nice compared to the 68rfe. The shifting under load, and down shifting is seamless. You don't have to anticipate a hard shift.

The mpg isn't to good without the trailer. Your running 2,000 rpms at 70 mph . I'm getting 10.5 mpg avg when towing my Landmark at 60 mph. I didn't buy this truck to save fuel. Of course it would be nice . I bought it to tow heavy with no worries, and believe me, it does that quite well. It's a wonderful truck, and I'm glad I finally treated myself to a top of the line fully loaded truck. Heck I deserve to be comfortable when towing year round. Took me 58 years to get my dream truck, and it was worth the wait.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #89

I'm curious as to why it seems like most people who tow with a HD pickup truck, such as a RAM 3500, have one that's four-wheel drive. Is it just personal preference? A "just in case" scenario? I plan to do lots of boondocking when I get mine, but I just can't justify the extra cost of one, plus the higher maintenance expenses and lower fuel mileage. If a place looks iffy with a 2x4, then I don't want to go there even if I had a 4x4. JMHO
Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #90

It doesn't even have to look iffy before you loose traction in thick gravel or grass when your towing 17,500 lbs. I've had to use 4wd twice in the past week. I only used it for probably 200 ft, but it was needed. The maintenance factor isn't a big deal. The front diff, and transfer case are easy to change oil, and it the maintenance schedule is at least 30,000 miles if you only use it a few times a month. I wouldn't own a pickup without 4wd.

Now there are many pages of this argument if you want to read, and make up your own mind. Check it out sometime.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #91

Quote:
I'm curious as to why it seems like most people who tow with a HD pickup truck, such as a RAM 3500, have one that's four-wheel drive. Is it just personal preference? A "just in case" scenario? I plan to do lots of boondocking when I get mine, but I just can't justify the extra cost of one, plus the higher maintenance expenses and lower fuel mileage. If a place looks iffy with a 2x4, then I don't want to go there even if I had a 4x4. JMHO
Some of us live in more rugged country than FLA I, too, wouldn't be without 4WD as there are times that grass is slippery, gravel, and etc. Many times I have used it when backing my trailer from my back yard because the grass is easy to spin on and leave a grass less strip...click into 4WD and no problem. I was once in an area that had a steep dirt driveway to climb - went in okay but 4WD coming out. Oh, yeah - winter in Colorado includes ice and snow and a big pickup with a very heavy front end (diesel) 4WD is almost a necessity. I don't notice any different maintenance expenses and you only take a one or two MPG hit with 4WD.

My truck is 15 years old with 160,000 miles and I'd sure like to get a new truck, but I can't justify the cost of a new truck when mine is still doing great! Jammer's new truck sure looks good, though!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
It doesn't even have to look iffy before you loose traction in thick gravel or grass when your towing 17,500 lbs. I've had to use 4wd twice in the past week. I only used it for probably 200 ft, but it was needed. The maintenance factor isn't a big deal. The front diff, and transfer case are easy to change oil, and it the maintenance schedule is at least 30,000 miles if you only use it a few times a month. I wouldn't own a pickup without 4wd.

Now there are many pages of this argument if you want to read, and make up your own mind. Check it out sometime.
I really appreciate your opinion, jammer3025, because you're doing what my wife and I will be doing in a year. I shall rethink my position on this because if I get the 5th wheel that I want, which is an Elite Suites 43 Manhattan, I don't want to ever be in a position that I'll wish I'd have purchased a 4-wheel drive. That's a heavy trailer, and I won't want to be calling Coach-Net to pull me out of some place in the desert. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #93

No problem. Seriously though the 4wd has been great for those situations that you didn't count on. It's not like I drag this 43 footer down muddy logging roads. All the places I've needed to use the 4wd has been either at an rv park or campground. All the roads have either been, packed sand, dirt, or gravel. Some of these entrances to these places can be very steep. If your like me you don't go to fast through trees and what not when entering to territory. So your going slow up hill on loose ground. The 4wd allows you to go slow and maintain good traction. I know it's more $$$ but it has already paid for itself. I can't imagine what the cost would be to get a stuck truck and trailer out of a jam.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #94

Quote:
I really appreciate your opinion, jammer3025, because you're doing what my wife and I will be doing in a year. I shall rethink my position on this because if I get the 5th wheel that I want, which is an Elite Suites 43 Manhattan, I don't want to ever be in a position that I'll wish I'd have purchased a 4-wheel drive. That's a heavy trailer, and I won't want to be calling Coach-Net to pull me out of some place in the desert. Thanks again.
With the pin weight you will have I would not even consider 4X4. 5kish squarely on top of axles. It won't spin. And if the park needs a 4 wheel drive I don't want my home in there.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #95

With the RAM the front axle is free spinning so no fuel loss. It's the times when you are are doing some exploring and the road turns to sand. Or your wife takes the road the GPS tells her to and the road turns to sand or when your site is very out of level and you have a hard time backing up on the blocks. All scenarios have happened to me and having the 4wd and 4 low was priceless every time!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #96

Just last Sunday, I pulled into a field next to a diner and it looked all nice and dry till I got to the back to turn around to face out. Spun a little and LOCKED it in 4x4. I feel I would have needed a tow truck without 4x4.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #97

I am in Florida east coast. My 4 x4 has been used in each CG I parked the unit. My truck with traction tires would just ruin the wet grass on my site without 4x4.

My wife moves the truck and trailer on the level blocks and I shift into 4 x 4 every time.
The 4x4 for me is very valuable and makes it an easy sell while getting back the initial investment.
I value 4x4 much more then leather seats which sometimes cost more.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #98

And I don't even know if mine works.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote