Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ordering a new truck and old truck's trade value

We've always bought our vehicles from a dealer's existing inventory. But this time around, we were thinking about special ordering a truck configured just the way we wanted it.

Dealer said he couldn't provide a firm value for our trade since the new vehicle wouldn't be in for 10-12 weeks. He would only provide a definite trade value if I was willing to give him my truck now and then wait for the new one. I went to a second dealer and got the same response.

My question: Is waffling on trade value standard policy when someone orders a vehicle with a lead time of two to three months?

Since his 'discounted' price for the truck wasn't that great to start with, I walked away anyway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I dunno. I've sold my last 2 trucks myself when I ordered the new ones. I drove the old ones until the new ones were delivered. The current truck was ordered on August 5th and delivered on September 11th - about 5 weeks.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

That would have been my response too. You only receive an above wholesale trade-in price when the dealer/salesman can make it up on the new vehicle. Return and ask the straight-out price, no trade-in, you will receive a very different quote. Then sell your old vehicle yourself.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

Prices are not going to change that much over a two to three month period. He wants the opportunity to flip your vehicle and put the money in his pocket now. Make your deal before the order, if he is not willing to do that keep looking.
Remember that the price for the new one and what he allows are meaningless. It is the difference you pay that counts. If he quotes say $50,000 then allows you $20,000 on trade it is no different than getting $10,000 off MSRP and being allowed ten on trade. You still pay $30,000 difference.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

Walk Away. Find a dealer that will work with your numbers. And time frame,you ordered
Johnandcara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #6

I made a firm deal with the dealer before ordering my 2011, trading in my 2005 and have done so numerous times in the past. I wouldn't give up my present truck, suppose something comes up and you need it, will the dealer give you a loaner truck, I doubt it. Keep looking for a dealer willing to work with you.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #7

As stated, you'll do much better if you can sell the old truck yourself.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the same token who's to say the truck may not get side swiped, engine ran out of oil, any number of things that could happen in that time period.

In today's litigious society there would be some that would expect him to honor the original deal even with a few thousand dollars worth of "modifications" to it since the deal was made. There would be those that would seek legal recourse to the deal and regardless of the outcome it still would cost money to defend against.

AS mentioned the sell it yourself is a pretty good route to go.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

There are pros and cons to selling your truck outright. If your state has a rather high sales tax, the amount your trade is worth is not taxed. In the case of my recent deal, I would have had to sell my truck for top blue book to off set the tax savings. So check all your options and make the best choice for you, as each situation is unique.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My last vehicles (from 89 to 07) have all been purchased through the fleet buyer/manager - I have not gone through the front office and the pesky sales process. Here the process is different - you start with the dealer invoice pricing and add a little for advertizing hold back. BTW these guys also deal with what they have on the lot or dealer swaps. The only caveot is that you must have NOT gone through the front door of the trading dealer - they will tell the fleet buyer that the truck is sold. Usually the fleet guy does not want to trade - however they will but usually at low blue book. This time around I ordered my new truck with the idea of selling my Tahoe - however when the truck came in (only 5 or 6 wks) I was not in a position to sell my Tahoe and he agreed to take it in trade and gave me 9K. I feel that I made an OK deal. BTW when I went to order the truck we sat down with a cup of coffee and a donut and went through the option list - often times I took his advice when it came to some options - he was also able to explain in detail how they worked. It was truely an enjoyable experience- the same when we went to pick it up. BTW he found my Tahoe for me in 99 and we ordered an Astro Van from him in 89. He also found my wife new cars in 91 and 05.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Half Dimes - RustyJC is correct about the time frame on the ordering- It should not take that long unless the manufacturer has a planned plant closure OR a shortage (aka a constraint) of a certain component needed for the vehicle build. (This is more common than people realize. )
Another thing people do not realize is that the value of their trade is now re-adjusted weekly. This would be a factor on why the dealer would only lock in the trade value now. JohnRR also has mentioned other valid reasons. (We had a customer driving in to the dealership to take delivery of a "present" for his wife recently - when he hit a deer with his trade-in...so it does happen. )

I would suggest you order the vehicle and then try to sell your vehicle on your own if you are willing to deal with people you don't know trying to negotiate a price on your trade.

Oh- by the way... NOT all states subtract the trade value from the taxable value. California will tax on the original price BEFORE trade equity, rebates or down-payment has been subtracted.

Good Luck!

PS...what type of truck are you considering??

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote