Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

our first blow out ...

... hopefully our last! We always have our tires checked at Les Schwab before we leave. They gave us the green light. Later, I noticed one tire looked a little rounded on top. We figured it was OK, thinking Les Schwab would be happy to sell us new tires if they were needed. Wrong.
We were unsure of the proper procedure for changing a tire, and even if we had done it ourselves, the spare was not properly inflated. AAA changed it. Thankfully there was no damage to the wheel or the trailer.
Note to self: When having the tires checked, be sure to check the spare.
Les Schwab is convenient because they're located really close to where we store our trailer and we can have the tires checked cold, but I'm going back to Goodyear. A second tire is looking bad and we've got a few miles to go yet.
Learn something new every day ...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
... Learn something new every day ...
Clay, What doesn't *** us, makes us stronger. Live and learn every day of the week I say!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

A tire pressure monitoring system like this is a good investment. Truck System Technologies, Inc
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Wouldn't hurt to check the age code on the tires. Tires may look good but if they're over five years old they're are a problem waiting to happen.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #5

We repalce them every 5 years, even though they have very few miles on them. Now my husband tells me we have two rounded tires. This really sucks! We have 15" wheels so our selection of tires is very limited. We're thinking of putting the spare on the worst tire and trying to get home. Then we can take our time and look into putting 16" wheels on. Sure doesn't make for a peaceful drive.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
We repalce them every 5 years, even though they have very few miles on them. Now my husband tells me we have two rounded tires. This really sucks! We have 15" wheels so our selection of tires is very limited. We're thinking of putting the spare on the worst tire and trying to get home. Then we can take our time and look into putting 16" wheels on. Sure doesn't make for a peaceful drive.
I'm curious, what's wrong with 15" wheels?
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Only that your selection of tires is much more limited. For instance, the highly regarded all-steel commercial construction Michelin XPS Rib that many of us have used to solve tire problems on 5th wheels is only available in 16" sizes, although some of the -75 aspect ratio XPS Ribs have comparable diameters to many 15" OEM tires so can usually be interchanged with suitable 16" wheel replacements.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I thought this was gonna be a PARTY thread.................
Rusty, since we're on the topic, what weight and inflation are you carring on your Michelins? Our 5er came with Goodyear, but I've become a big fan of Michelins after the set I had on DW's Tahoe went 65,000+ and only changed due to age (8 yr) and ones on my last truck went 50,000+ when I traded it.
I've also heard some low opinions of GY on 5er's - any input/comment?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I used the Michelin XPS Ribs on our previous 13,500 lb GVWR Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 5th wheel. Being a load range E tire (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG for the LT235/85R-16 tires I used), they don't have the load capacity I need for the current 16,000 lb GVWR 5th wheel, unfortunately.

I'm running 215/75R-17.5 load range J (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG) Michelin XTA tires on our Mobile Suites and have had no problems with them, unlike the Goodyear LT235/85R-16 G614 RST load range G (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG) OEM tires they replaced.

Although Goodyear has stood behind them, always replacing the tires and repairing the resultant damage, I unfortunately have suffered multiple tread separations with 15" Goodyear Marathons on a previous Jayco Designer 3030RKSS 5th wheel as well as the 16" Goodyear G614 RSTs on the Mobile Suites. I've never had a problem with a Michelin.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for your input. Kinda confirms what I've been hearing. Guess I'll run the GY's until they show some wear and change to Michelins at the first sign of wear or a problem developing.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CLAY many manufacturors will put on the minimum size tire to get an empty trailer to the dealer. Your thoughts on going to 16 inch rims and at least one load range higher are good. Many of us don't realize it but the camper gains weight as we use it. We find more essentials every trip and some things like pretty rocks and such get hidden and sometimes forgotten when we get home.
PS My last flat tire slung off the tread and it slapped off the valve stem of the next tire and damaged the camper. Two flats at once not a pretty sight.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #12

Our original tires were Goodyear and did fine, but I've been reading up and seeing that since moving production to China the Goodyears are not so good. Not so impressed with any of the 15" tires. Keep your fingers crossed we make it home without another blow out. We stop at every rest stop and inspect them. I know we're taking a chance ...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
You have an upgrade option for 15" trailer tires if you wish to stay with them. https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...+Tires&season=. Your present rims will do if you do not exceed their air pressure limitation. Inflating a LR "H" tire to sidewall maximum will require new rims.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #14

Well, we made it home without incidence. We took it really slow and easy. And we now know how to change a tire on our trailer.