Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2brving View Post
The weight police on this site really suck. Nice rig get out and enjoy it.

Thanks. We took it out this past weekend and loved it. Huge upgrade for us. Planning for a long weekend next month before winterizing
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
Thanks. We took it out this past weekend and loved it. Huge upgrade for us. Planning for a long weekend next month before winterizing

Good for you guys. Be safe. Have fun. I'm a halftime guy too. It surely gets passionate sometimes but most are trying to help. Enjoy it! See ya out there.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSKIBUM View Post
Good for you guys. Be safe. Have fun. I'm a halftime guy too. It surely gets passionate sometimes but most are trying to help. Enjoy it! See ya out there.

Half ton not halftime that's on weekends lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #32

Enjoy the new rig. You've told the local weight police everything they need to know.....you are under all limits. Good for you!

If you post your actual numbers, they will tell you that you are not safe because you are not XX%, pick a number because that is what they do, under your limits. And NONE of them can post any direct link to any regulation or specification to back up their BS. I especially love the pencil neck geeks that sit behind their keyboards and call you a liar. Takes a real man to do that.

Have fun and spend as much time as you can in the new rig. Life is too short for sitting at home.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
Enjoy the new rig. You've told the local weight police everything they need to know.....you are under all limits. Good for you!

If you post your actual numbers, they will tell you that you are not safe because you are not XX%, pick a number because that is what they do, under your limits. And NONE of them can post any direct link to any regulation or specification to back up their BS. I especially love the pencil neck geeks that sit behind their keyboards and call you a liar. Takes a real man to do that.

Have fun and spend as much time as you can in the new rig. Life is too short for sitting at home.

I appreciate it. I understand their concern, just bothers me when they call me a liar. Oh well, it’s in the past.

We just made plans to go on another weekend trip before winterizing next month!
Old 09-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #34

If you participate in this forum you need to accept he fact that others will offer opinions and if they don't agree with you then you can't complain all the time. I haven't seen anyone attack you or be rude. They have asked for weights and you can't complain because that is what's needed to give an accurate assessment of your ability to tow your trailer safely.
That trailer seems to be a little large for your tow vehicle. If you would give me the ratings from the door jamb and the weights from a certified scale then I would be glad to help you with your position that you are ok.
We are all happy that you have upgraded but there is concern for your safety.
Friendly communication is the name of the game.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
The numbers in posts 16 and 19 came from comparing the drivers door sticker/vehicle brochure with the numbers from a CAT scale that I paid $11 to use.
I can understand the concern, but after learning more info, I got weighed and shared my results. No need for implying I’m lying in posts 21 and 23 just because I didn’t format it the way they wanted.
I shared the info, you may just have to scroll back a bit to see it because I’m not repeating it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #36

The rudeness is Happercamperz at no time solicited advice for his weights in his post. The rudeness is that people are implying that he's lying about his weights.
The weight police can be vicious on here, and instead of just going after people who have grossly overloaded rigs they decide they're going to jump on people who are under their limits because "that's too close..." "you'll be white knuckling..." "SUV's are unsafe for anything more than a bass boat..." "if you're even a pound over your limit you and your family WILL die in a fiery crash taking out everyone on the highway with you!"
Ok, that last one was a slight over exaggeration but similar comments have been made and been made frequently on other posts.

Yes this is an open forum and people are welcome to say their opinion. I just think it would create a better forum for all when those opinions are shared on topic and when solicited.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
The rudeness is Happercamperz at no time solicited advice for his weights in his post. The rudeness is that people are implying that he's lying about his weights.
The weight police can be vicious on here, and instead of just going after people who have grossly overloaded rigs they decide they're going to jump on people who are under their limits because "that's too close..." "you'll be white knuckling..." "SUV's are unsafe for anything more than a bass boat..." "if you're even a pound over your limit you and your family WILL die in a fiery crash taking out everyone on the highway with you!"
Ok, that last one was a slight over exaggeration but similar comments have been made and been made frequently on other posts.

Yes this is an open forum and people are welcome to say their opinion. I just think it would create a better forum for all when those opinions are shared on topic and when solicited.

Thank you. I’m not trying to be over dramatic here, but I got off Facebook because I was bothered by the amount of people who need to control things in every situation by forcing their beliefs and opinions on others from their basement computer. This seemed like a more mature group of people. I am not breaking any laws, so we are good. I went above and beyond by sharing the numbers on a post that is unrelated to weight, so take it or leave it.

I have my weigh ticket, a picture of my door jamb sticker, and a copy of the ford towing brochure all together in my glove box and will happily pull it out for anyone wearing a “______ State Highway patrol” shirt, if you’re anyone else, you’ll have to take my word on it. Now if you see me out at a campground somewhere, come on over, I’ll have a cold beer for you, and we can chat about it.

If you have an opinion or experience relating to Keystone Bullets, this would be a great place to post about it, as that’s the topic of this post. If you would like to continue the weight conversation, use the search bar at the top to find an appropriate post, as there are many out there relating to that.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, can I get in on the fun ?!?

My life with a SRW and large 5'er was a concern for some too...
and while I was "CLOSE", I always made it there and back somehow.
My wife would always say to our rv'ing buddies... my shoes don't match because HE wouldn't let me take one more pair

I did all the weights, etc. I could to prove it and my biggest issue was not GCWR or GVWR, but rear GAWR and rear tires.... I made sure everything was loaded just right, never had water in the rv tanks, and the rear tires were aired to their max so they were never overloaded.

good luck with your new rig !

Previous rigs:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wash Passenger.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	177986   Click image for larger version

Name:	RW and 350.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	177987  

Old 09-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is why I make it a point to never discuss my weight, the DW's weight, my dogs weight or my trailers weight on this or any other forum. I am on here to learn from others observations or experiences and pass mine on to others who may find it helpful. This forum has many people who have a lot of good information that others can benefit from and the tone and context of a text message can be taken differently by different people.
That is one nice looking TT and I hope you get much enjoyment from it.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Wow, can I get in on the fun ?!?

My life with a SRW and large 5'er was a concern for some too...
and while I was "CLOSE", I always made it there and back somehow.
My wife would always say to our rv'ing buddies... my shoes don't match because HE wouldn't let me take one more pair

I did all the weights, etc. I could to prove it and my biggest issue was not GCWR or GVWR, but rear GAWR and rear tires.... I made sure everything was loaded just right, never had water in the rv tanks, and the rear tires were aired to their max so they were never overloaded.

good luck with your new rig !

Previous rigs:

Thanks JohnBoyToo, my closest number is the rear gawr as well, close, but not over. It’s close enough that I’ll keep more gear in the trailer and less in the tow vehicle. I have already upgraded the tires as well.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The 420 number is a close estimate, the last digit on the scale ticket was smeared.
In my experience, the last digit on the weight numbers is always a zero. It's a good assumption.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Now if you see me out at a campground somewhere, come on over, I’ll have a cold beer for you, and we can chat about it.
Now THERE'S a winning idea!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote