Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Q.. Are recreational vehicles subject to Interstate axle weight limits?
Yes."

That bit would refer to the federal bridge formula which is (in general) 16000# per axle and not applicable to a small rig like the OP, and doesn't mean you need to stop at scales.
Interstate axle weight limits is more than just fed bridge formula's.
Also ;
road surface maximums
20k lb single axle..
34k tandem axle..
80k gross weight..

vehicle maximums
truck mfg steer axle ratings
axle/tire load ratings

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Just an FYI
I was retained as a expert witness on the cause of an accident that involved a change in tire size from the OE size. While these facts are different than yours they show that there are some lawyers out there that can do their homework. Fatality was involved so the money was in the 6 figures.

BUT on GVWR and GAWR everyone seems to forget that part of the reason for limits is vehicle stopping distance. Exceed the rating and stopping distance can go up so if in an emergency you don't stop soon enough and hit someone that usually makes you at fault for failure to maintain assured clear distance. If someone did their homework and discovered you were exceeding the vehicle capability this could lead to charge of negligence which can increase the penalties significantly.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Just an FYI
I was retained as a expert witness on the cause of an accident that involved a change in tire size from the OE size. While these facts are different than yours they show that there are some lawyers out there that can do their homework. Fatality was involved so the money was in the 6 figures.

BUT on GVWR and GAWR everyone seems to forget that part of the reason for limits is vehicle stopping distance. Exceed the rating and stopping distance can go up so if in an emergency you don't stop soon enough and hit someone that usually makes you at fault for failure to maintain assured clear distance. If someone did their homework and discovered you were exceeding the vehicle capability this could lead to charge of negligence which can increase the penalties significantly.
Makes sense. I think I'm gonna figure out a different way to get both of my quads and my camper to where I'm going. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #32

Tireman9,
Can you expand on the OE tire size change? What about it that caused a legal issue?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Tireman9,
Can you expand on the OE tire size change? What about it that caused a legal issue?
Joe
Here's guess: they went to a larger tire/wheel size to handle a weight load greater than the manufacturers posted GVWR number.
i.e.; INERTIA was increased without additional braking capacity
Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #34

Tires,wheels,air bags,springs,or gear changes will not turn a 3/4 ton into a 1 ton. Nor will change the door sticker.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #35

Over on one of the other forums there is a fella who used to be a certification engineer with GM. He says he has been a witness in several overloaded accident cases. So, yea it is possible.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #36

Getting sued for being overweight happens so often I guess that's why we never read about and it's mostly 2nd party stories.
I've been reading theses RV forums for 5 years and have never once read a 1st person account of anyone being sued.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Getting sued for being overweight happens so often I guess that's why we never read about and it's mostly 2nd party stories.
I've been reading theses RV forums for 5 years and have never once read a 1st person account of anyone being sued.
Dont know. I personally know a fellow who was pulled onto a scale by enforcement with his 1/2 ton truck pulling a u-haul trailer. He was overweight, fined 800 and had to get another truck and trailer to share the load before they would let him go.

I posted this on another thread and someone wrote the same thing you did. Mine was a 2nd party story. Still true but you pick what you want to believe regardless of the truth.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Tires,wheels,air bags,springs,or gear changes will not turn a 3/4 ton into a 1 ton. Nor will change the door sticker.
Please tell me what you think is the difference between a 3/4 ton and a SRW 1 ton from 2003.5 to a 2013.5 Ram pick-up truck. I would really like to know.

They have the same frame, axles, brakes, engine, transmission, cooling package, shocks, wheels, tires, steering components and front suspension components. The only difference that I know of is one extra leaf spring on each side of the rear axle and the weight placard. In fact the brakes and 95% of the 3/4 ton truck is common to a DRW truck with Ram trucks.

Jim W
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #39

Only difference is on paper. Some states allow different registration procedures.
In my province my F250 has similar registration as a F350 dualie
Actually had to reduce the GVW registration on my F250 to stay below the 26000 lbs with RV in tow.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Please tell me what you think is the difference between a 3/4 ton and a SRW 1 ton from 2003.5 to a 2013.5 Ram pick-up truck. I would really like to know.

They have the same frame, axles, brakes, engine, transmission, cooling package, shocks, wheels, tires, steering components and front suspension components. The only difference that I know of is one extra leaf spring on each side of the rear axle and the weight placard. In fact the brakes and 95% of the 3/4 ton truck is common to a DRW truck with Ram trucks.

Jim W
For those years I can't say because I don't have one to compare, but it really isn't going to matter much when and if you get inspected for being overloaded. I like to be legal, and not have to worry about going to jail and possibly killing someone because I lost control of an overloaded vehicle.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #41

If you are legal in one state then you are legal in all states, correct?

In IL you need the proper truck licenses plate weight load such as a D ( 8,001 LBS +) instead of a B plate ( 8,000 LBS and under) for the truck and the correct tire size to carry the load. To be legal.

Jim w
Old 08-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
No Jim,
you have to be within length and within weight for the state you are towing in is what I've heard...

but didn't read all the thread as it went on a tangent very quickly...
but has the OP spent the 15 minutes and $10 to go by a cat scale to weigh his axles loaded ?

Without that we are just guessing and 'pontificating' as all weight police have a tendency to do

One thing he can do is go to HIS state to register and pay the few dollars to upgrade his dmv weights... I did on my F-350 to tow the heavy redwood I had. IIRC, it was like $50 more per year for 1000 lbs more !