Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #43

Isn't the door jam sticker a federal rating? I don't know the laws of the 50 states. I can't see a state saying if you put wheels and tires with a greater weight rating on your truck you can carry a heavier load than what the Society of Auto Engineers have rated it as. How do insurance companies view this? Are they OK with people who disregard the manufactures specifications? If you are honest and tell them that you are 2,000 lbs over the
GVWR, will they still happily insure you?

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
. . .
It would be way too simple if the tires were the limiting factor. That would mean if any manufacturer wanted a higher load rating all they would have to do is put bigger tires on. If if were only that simple.
Ahhh, but I believe that it is that simple in some cases.
The trick at the dealer's lot is to make them leave you alone while you inspect the trucks.
(They are such an annoying bunch of helpful dogoodies.)

Do so by visiting the dealer multiple times and taking up enough of their time that they will leave you alone to inspect their truck inventory on your own.

The SRW F350 has a big tall aggressive looking tires on it. I mean, it looks tough!
The DRW F350 has smaller looking tires.
Spring packs look the same - axles looked the same - tires are different, sticker GVWR and rear axle ratings are different.

Even the Dually GVWR is based on it's combined tire load capacity - observe it's tire load capacity printed on it's tire side wall and compare it to it's RAWR - it is always a within a hundred pounds load.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Tireman9,
Can you expand on the OE tire size change? What about it that caused a legal issue?
Joe
The intent of my post was to point out that legal action does not have to be based on scientific fact but on the ability of lawyers to convince a jury that someone other than "the victim" is at fault and should pay $$$$$$$.

Many times lawyers can find a person that makes a living of developing plausible arguments that supported the position of the lawyer.

My point was that there are some lawyers that will dig deep to find someone to blame. If they check your GVWR and find that you have exceeded that rating then a good case can be made to hold you responsible as it isn't too difficult to convince a jury of non-technical people to believe that.

PS I was able to establish with test data that the tire change didn't contribute to the accident, but it was pure luck that they found me and that I could use my background as a tire design engineer and as an evaluator of vehicle handling to establish the needed defense.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #46
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
For those years I can't say because I don't have one to compare, but it really isn't going to matter much when and if you get inspected for being overloaded. I like to be legal, and not have to worry about going to jail and possibly killing someone because I lost control of an overloaded vehicle.
A bit prophetic.
Here is story of Catilyn Jenner being charged due to overloaded vehicle and traffic fatality.
She has the $$ for good lawyers. Do those that intentionally overload have the $$ for good lawyers?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighatnohors View Post
Ahhh, but I believe that it is that simple in some cases.
The trick at the dealer's lot is to make them leave you alone while you inspect the trucks.
(They are such an annoying bunch of helpful dogoodies.)

Do so by visiting the dealer multiple times and taking up enough of their time that they will leave you alone to inspect their truck inventory on your own.

The SRW F350 has a big tall aggressive looking tires on it. I mean, it looks tough!
The DRW F350 has smaller looking tires.
Spring packs look the same - axles looked the same - tires are different, sticker GVWR and rear axle ratings are different.

Even the Dually GVWR is based on it's combined tire load capacity - observe it's tire load capacity printed on it's tire side wall and compare it to it's RAWR - it is always a within a hundred pounds load.
While it is true that tire capacity is equal to or slightly greater than GAWR but this is based on federal regulation.

While many components may look the same there are a number of items such as master cylinder and brake bias that are not always the same between vehicles of different ratings.
Maybe you need to sit down with a parts manual an do an item by item comparison.
If it really was as simple as you are suggesting then dealers could stock 3/4 ton trucks and a supply of tires and stickers and not have to spend the $ to stock any 1 ton trucks. Have to wonder why no car dealer never thought of this.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Here is story of Catilyn Jenner being charged due to overloaded vehicle and traffic fatality.
I've read over the above story but missed the part about an overloaded vehicle. The best I got was, "based upon Jenner traveling at an unsafe speed for the prevailing roadway conditions," Can you point out where the accident was due to his overloaded vehicle? I'm getting where it more a DWHUA accident.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Maybe you need to sit down with a parts manual an do an item by item comparison.
Out of curiosity, I did for my 2007 GMC Duramax, limited to the rear axle shaft. Here are the results. It appears the axles, at least, are the same.

12471329 AXLE SHAFT, RIGHT 3/4 & 1 TON, 10.50 RING GEAR O.E.M
6 12471486 AXLE SHAFT, LEFT 3/4 & 1 TON, 11.50 RING GEAR, W/O DUAL RR WHEELS
6 12471486 AXLE SHAFT, RIGHT 3/4 & 1 TON, 11.50 RING GEAR, W/O DUAL RR WHEELS
6 15898642 AXLE SHAFT, LEFT 3/4 & 1 TON, 11.50 RING GEAR, W/DUAL RR WHEELS
6 15898642 AXLE SHAFT, RIGHT 3/4 & 1 TON, 11.50 RING GEAR, W/DUAL RR WHEELS
6 26045426 AXLE SHAFT, LEFT 3/4 & 1 TON, 10.50 RING GEAR
Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #50

There is no difference in the part numbers between the Ford F250 and F350 SRW trucks either. Until recently there were very few part differences even in the F350 DRW trucks except rear springs.

Also I can tell you that the door stickers on trucks have no legal merit and are not even required after the sale. To be legal you only have to follow the weight laws of the state you are registered in. In my state I only have to register my truck for the max weight It actually will weigh and make sure the tire ratings also meet that same weight. I got this info directly from my DMV and local law enforcement.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #51

Quote:
The intent of my post was to point out that legal action does not have to be based on scientific fact but on the ability of lawyers to convince a jury that someone other than "the victim" is at fault and should pay $$$$$$$.

Many times lawyers can find a person that makes a living of developing plausible arguments that supported the position of the lawyer.
Man you got that right, people and lawyers will sue you for anything, even if you do nothing wrong.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I believe the premise is based on negligence. Everyone is at fault but lawyers and judges try to prove and determine who is the most negligent. Then it becomes a matter of determining value to the difference in negligence.

Sometimes "the victim" is actually the victim who through no fault or design on their part was in the wrong place at the wrong time. We go out and about in public as well as live in our house believing that there is a set of rules followed by all that will cover us to a reasonable extent. Sad to say many of the "accidents" are preventable.

IMO if I were running overweight I would not be on any public forum defending the position because I have done it for years without consequence. With search engines it would not take long to find out who was knowingly ignoring accepted engineering standards thus was negligent. I also wonder about the prudence of coaching or encouraging others to ignore the limits.

Why else is it that there is such a proliferation of lawyers in the personal injury field?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #53

Exactly

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote