Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Its called Russian Roulette. Ultimately it is not "if but when" the wheels fall off.

Engineers spend considerable time and process developing the specifications. It has to do with common sense, practicality and use based on accepted guidelines. By ignoring or rationalizing standards you are taking your life in your hands. Worse yet you are jeopardizing the lives of people around you.

And the Darwin Awards continue!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
That is an internet myth. Even the Minnesota State Patrol say that your insurance WILL cover you in the unlikely event of an accident if you are over weight. The reason is because there is no law against being stupid. You may have a problem getting insurance afterwards, but you will be covered.
I would ask the insurance company - and get it in writing. I doubt the State Patrol can speak for any insurance company.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
while it is clearly NOT the smart thing to do, you will have insurance just the same.
If it was true you have no insurance for being over Your weight specs, then no insurance company would cover some one who has a DUI crash.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say one thing again... This is regarding the word "ILLEGAL"

(Running overweight is illegal in many states but laws vary state to state)

The law that varies is one that basically says if they run you over a scale and it's too heavy you can be sited,, The law is often quite complex and the legal definition of OVERWEIGHT may be different than the manufacturers.

But as I said before: IF there is an "Incident" and someone gets hurt,, You may find yourself on the wrong side of a Civil (If there is such a thing) Suite.. (Uh, Very uncivil of the plantiffs don't you think).

And if they have a smart attorney and HE finds out you were running heavy...... Well let me tell you of one such legal posterior who was a "poke-a-longus" on the Turnpike in Ohio or so the story goes.

A Semi was attempting to pass him, As traffic opened the Driver would speed up and try to make it over a lane to get past him, but then traffic would show up in that lane preventing him from moving over and he'd drop back.

Well the lawyer yammered about how he felt threatened, the truck was being waved around there iike a big cannon and so on and so forth. There was NO Contact between the semi and the attorney's car, the Attorney was NEVER in any danger, the Driver of the truck was driving responsibly.. and the Attorney still won half a million for "Reckless Endangerment"

Imagine how much easier it woudl be for me to sue you if you actually HIT me due to running heavy.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #19

Especially running heavy and knowing it...i'm not a lawyer but negligence is not good.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
while it is clearly NOT the smart thing to do, you will have insurance just the same.
If it was true you have no insurance for being over Your weight specs, then no insurance company would cover some one who has a DUI crash.
Interesting question.

I know a couple fellows with DUI and they still can get insurance but if they thought insurance was expensive before. I know one fellow who could not get anyone to insure him at all.

I have no personal experience with DUI or DUI crash but wonder if the insurance company actually will replace the DUI vehicle. I think the law says the other party has to be covered but . . . .

Anyone with better knowledge.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
There are traffic laws, criminal laws, civil laws, and the laws of physics. If you violate the laws of physics, you could have any or all of the prior laws applied against you. I guess my 'law of conscious' would make it very hard for me to knowingly violate any of the other laws. Final point:

Negligent Homicide Law & Legal Definition

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #22

Dam !!!!

I love ! This forum, and it has been a fantastic help to me/us in rebuilding a used TT we bought, and thinking about our next , and asked a simply question.

I'm not going to go on a killing rampage with over towing, i respect my life and familys as much as yours, sorry just pissed right now.

That's why i want to "KNOW "
Jim:banghe ad:
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #23

Sorry Guys !!

I thought this was the place too ask . All i wanted to know is just to want to look out for ! ???????

Jim
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Sorry Guys !!

I thought this was the place too ask . All i wanted to know is just to want to look out for ! ???????

Jim
Weighing TV and trailer, then compare to manufacturer's specifications is the simple answer. There is no other way to tell except obvious appearance clues. (headlights in trees, blow outs, sagging springs, etc.) Other than that, you could be cruising down the road when a gust of wind, passing truck, tire blow out, or a bump in the road starts you wig-wagging out of control.

Not sure why the 'pi$$ed off' attitude, all the 'head banging. This IS the place to ask.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #25

Don't let them get to you Jim. The weight police are ever present and ever watchful. Death, destruction, mayhem... and lawyers will always be a reoccurring theme.

Use common sense, know your absolute limits, and plan accordingly.

Perhaps that means taking two cars,
Perhaps that means not having any water in your tanks,
Perhaps that means taking less food and drinks and then buying more when you get to your spot.... there are other solutions that might help you be within the "legal" limits and still get you out there camping safely.

Remember, this is the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt and skepticism... including my post!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #26

Best case scenario: the early demise of your tow vehicle.
Worst case scenario: you get nominated for the Darwin Award.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #27

I don't want to be un-safe to us of others, that's why i asked. This is all just theory at this point, just trying to learn.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Sorry Guys !!

Jim
You're okay, this was a very appropriate question to ask. It only shows you are a conscious, responsibly thinking adult .