Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #15

Drive it! My uncle has an '02 F350 SRW Long Bed and Tows a 38' Fifth wheel. He has towed that thing from one end of this country to the other. They live in Idaho, so when they come visit us in Texas they see plenty of Mountain terrain. He is 230K+ miles, still on the original engine (no mods) and original transmission/torque convertor. He takes care of everything and is very serious about servicing. They plan to keep the truck another 100K miles at least.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now that I'm almost settled and having time to read, I find that this 99 F350 King cab dually w/7.3 diesel 4.10 w/16" tires and 4R100 trany 68K miles w/all the bells and whistles, a Mark III..... may not be sufficient.
You will probably be over the weight limits of your truck, but with some mods and careful driving it will get the job done.

Quote:
The GCVW is 23K, so I'm right on the boarder.
The GCWR of a '99 F-350 DRW is 20,000 pounds, with a "tow rating" for a 4x2 of 13,800 pounds. Notice that in order to tow a 13,800 trailer and stay within the GCWR, the wet and loaded dually must gross less than 6,200 pounds. Ain't gonna happen. Count on a wet and loaded dually weighing around 8,000 pounds, leaving you a 12,000 pound actual tow rating.

Quote:
It this going to be OK but as slow as a snail?
Your Mobile Suites is going to gross a lot more than 12,000 pounds, even if you always dump all the holding tanks (including fresh water) before you hit the road. So you're not going to win any races. But since you plan to stay west of I-5, with the right mods your rig will do just fine - provided you don't try to climb the Grapevine with that rig.

Quote:
I've also read that the 4R100 tranys crap out in short but one can buy a HD or supreme rebuild for around 5K. The one I have now shutters between 35 & 45 after it shifts into 3rd.
The first thing to go will be the torque converter, and provided you replace the torque at the first indication of "marbles in a coffee can" before it goes south and takes the tranny with it, then the tranny should last until a bit over 100,000 miles, provided you took excellent care of it and always change the ATF to Mobil 1 every 30k miles. When you do have to replace the tranny, there are three basic choices:

1)Ford OEM 4R100, probably less than $3000, good for another 100,000 miles, provided you never allow it to get over 225 sump temp and change the synthetic ATF every 30k miles.

2) Ford HD4R100, around $4,000, probably good for 200,000 miles provided you never allow it to get over 225 sump temp and change the synthetic ATF every 30k miles.

3) John Wood or BTS bulletproof 4R100, around 4,500 to 5,000, guaranteed for as long as you own the truck if they don't find indications you abused the tranny by overheating it. Mine was a BTS, but John Wood is a lot closer to you in CA.

Note that allowing a tranny shop - even a Ford dealer's tranny shop - to overhaul your tranny is NOT one of your choices. It's cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
I've looked at the newer 350's and the only difference is they upgraded the 5er towing in 2014 to 22600# from the 13200# in 1999.
You missed a coupla steps up the ladder. In 2005 model year, GCWR went from 20k to 23.5k. In 2011 with the new 6.7L Ford diesel engine, it jumped up to 29,000. In 2013 model year, it was up to 30,500. I haven't looked at the 2014 specs yet.

Quote:
So is there any difference in the chassis or is just a stronger motor?
There are all sorts of differences. But for GCWR, the big factor is engine power/torque and axle ratio.

Quote:
So, am I screwed or can I just crawl along at my own pace?
You can spend some money and turn your sows' ear into a silk purse. Well, maybe not as good as a silk purse, but certainly better than a sow's ear. I'll summarize the mods you need, then go into more detail.

1. Gauges. If you increase engine power even a tiny bit, you must have good gauges to monitor your temps. Heat is the killer, and you don't want a dead dually. But without gauges, you're flying blind.

2. Intake. The stock intake on a '99 and even a '99.5 was awful. Replace it with a "cold air intake".

3. Exhaust. The stock exhaust was restrictive. Plus if it hasn't already been replaced, it's probably stopped up after 15 years.

One result of better intake and exhaust is faster speeds or heavier loads or steeper grades without exceeding the 1,250 pre-turbo EGT red line. You can "drive by the gauges" and maintain EGT between about 1200 and 1250 the same way you maintain a constant speed with the go pedal.

4. Tranny cooling. Look closely at your tranny cooling system. If the cooler lines run into the radiator, then your truck had the Ford warranty fix that is a lot better than the original oil-to-air (OTA) heat exchanger. But if the tranny cooler lines go around the radiator and into the OTA cooler, then you definitely need a lot more tranny cooling capacity.

5. Engine power. The 7.3L can handle a lot more horses than the factory settings, without reducing longevity or reliability. You can go hog wild with mods to increase power and torque, or you can do what I did and simply use a mild towing tune with gauges to add about 80 ponies. I made one long trip without my towing tune, and as soon as I got home I ordered a new towing tune. It's just so much more pleasant towing with around 300 horses instead of 230.

Details:

1. Gauges. You need three aftermarket gauges
- pyrometer with a top mark over 1,250 but not much over 1,500. Be certain the thermocouple (sender) is installed in the exhaust manifold or the up pipe to the turbo. That's called pre-turbo. Never allow more than 1,250 pre-turbo EGT.
- turbo boost gauge, with the max on the dial of about 30 PSI. Never allow more than 25 PSI.
- Tranny temp gauge, with the sender installed in the pressure port on the driver's side of the 4R100. Up to about 210 is normal. 210 to 225 is hot. The red line is 225. Don't allow it to go over 225 unless you can see the top of the pass right in front of you. Be sure the bottom peg on the gauge is 100 and not 140. With 140 as the bottom peg, you'll not see the gauge move in the wintertime, so you'll wonder if it's working.

My choice is ISSPRO gauges from Diesel Performance at DieselManor, Inc.

2. Intake. Best is the Ford Severe Duty Air Induction System (AIS) for a 7.3L. But Ford no nonger makes it, so you have to find a diesel truck supplier that still has some made by the original supplier, Donaldson. Here's one: Ford AIS Severe Duty Intake System 98.5-03 7.3L Powerstroke FA-1759

3. Exhaust. Tear it all out and replace it with a turbo-back 4"performance exhaust system. Here's a good one, except get the one for a Ford and not for a Dodge. MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust-Single Outlet 04.5-07 5.9L Dodge Cummins S6126409

4. Tranny cooling. Ford learned their lesson with the inadequate tranny cooling system on the 7.3L/4R100. They fixed it right with the 6.0L/5R110. So your mod is to replace the dinky little OTA cooler (heat exchanger) with the much bigger one from a 6.0L. Search on TheDieselStop.com and you'll find instrutions for how to connect the 3/8th lines to the 1/2" cooler connections. You can buy the 6.0L cooler fron any Ford parts counter, and at a discount on the internet. You want the 26-row cooler. That's the newer one and more efficient than the older costlier 31 row cooler: Here's one source: AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford Parts)

5. Engine power. You need a 60HP or maybe an 80HP towing tune. At least three ways to get it:
1) flash the PCM with the towing tune
2) install a multi-position chip that has the right tune(s) on it
3) install a "programmer" or tuner black box that includes your towing tune.

My choice? Go with a chip that includes 60-tow, 80-tow, decel (exhaust brake), the best of the OEM tunes, and maybe one tune for acting stupid on a Saturday night (but not more than about 120 HP). I really liked my 80-tow tine from DP-Tuner, so that's probably where I would go for the new chip. Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke - note that DP-Tuner can also flash your PCM or sell you a programmer that includes the tunes you want. (But you cannot have a decel tune on a programmer. Decel requires you to switch into decel tune at the top of the pass and switch back to your towing tune at the bottom of the pass. But it takes a coupla minutes to change tunes on a programmer, whereas on a properly set up chip you can "switch on the fly".

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Oops! If your '99 is really a '99.5, then no problem. You're in CA, and if your '99 is an "early '99" then you have a cat converter. In that case. you need a new downpipe, exhaust pipe, performance muffler and tailpipe, but keep the cat so you don't get into trouble with CARB. If the cat is restrictive, then replace it with a new performance cat. Yes, performance cats are available, even in CA.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #18

Wow all that for a 14 year old truck that has already been proven tuff.
They were the beast of the times and I am sure they were well tested since.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Oops! If your '99 is really a '99.5, then no problem. You're in CA, and if your '99 is an "early '99" then you have a cat converter. In that case. you need a new downpipe, exhaust pipe, performance muffler and tailpipe, but keep the cat so you don't get into trouble with CARB. If the cat is restrictive, then replace it with a new performance cat. Yes, performance cats are available, even in CA.
Is was built in Nov. of 98, but for the state of WA. So not sure which exhaust is has but I'll only be in Cal. as a visitor.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Is was built in Nov. of 98, but for the state of WA. So not sure which exhaust is has but I'll only be in Cal. as a visitor.
All "early" '99 7.3Ls , even those sold in Texas, had a catalytic converter. And the cutoff date between early '99 and '99.5 was early December, 1998. So yours came with a cat. If you don't register the truck in CA, then you may get by without a cat, but you may not either, because lots of states - even Texas - have cracked down on diesel exhaust emissions.

So if you must go through a state inspection that will verify you still have a functioning catalytic converter, then you cannot simply replace the exhaust system with a turbo-back system. You need either a cat-back system, or preferably a new less-restrictive downpipe plus a cat-back exhaust system. And if you want a 4" system instead of the OEM 3.5" exhaust system, then you'll need a 4" cat too.

In my long post above, I explained what you need to convert your 7.3L into a good towing machine, but I didn't sleep because I was worried about not explaining why. I noted that heat was the reason for all the mods. But here's diesel engine 101 to explain how to get rid of the heat.

A diesel engine is a big air pump. When you increase fuel to the engine, you increase power output, but you also increase heat. The need for a huge engine cooling system is obvious, but the stock Ford OEM cooling system is big enough if the water pump, radiator and engine fan are working as designed. So keep the proper clean coolant in the radiator, with the proper balance of diesel coolant additive (DCA), and no worry about the engine cooling system.

The automatic tranny produces a volcano worth of heat when working hard with an unlocked torque converter, so the need for a huge tranny cooler is obvious.

But why intake and exhaust? You want to make all the fresh cool air available to the engine that it can handle to control exhaust gas temp (EGT) when you add fuel to the fire to produce more power. And after that hot air has passed through the engine, you want to get rid of in a hurry, again to control EGT. So you need much better air intake and exhaust systems than stock.

Your aluminum pistons can handle only so much heat before they begin to evolve into phunny shape and blow up. The diesel experts determined that about 1,250 EGT is the red line before those pistons begin to soften into putty. So you must have a pyrometer to monitor EGT, then control the amount of fuel added to the fire with the go pedal to maintain EGT below 1,250 pre-turbo.

A good intake and exhaust system doesn't "reduce" EGT, but it allows the engine to burn more fuel and thus produce more power before you hit the EGT redline.

Can you add a towing tune without intake and exhaust mods? Yes, of course. But you have to drive by the gauges and not allow more than 1,250 pre-turbo EGT. And with your heavy trailer you'll hit the EGT redline very early in the power curve.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #21

I currently own an '02.

Last of the 7.3's (well, some early '03 had then as well, before the 6.blow)

I chose this truck for two reasons ... I'm familiar with the 7.3 and its stout ness , and I cant afford a 6.7 ... yet

I am performing a long list of "longevity mods" to the truck to basically improve on what is there.

Replacing all the Orings, full flow fuel return, oil line crossover, FULL COOLANT SYSTEM back flush w/ filter add on AND ELC !! (I just bought 24 gallons of Dist Water at Walmart for this job) ....maybe a compressor wheel....etc.

One simple mod is to add a 6.0 Tranny cooler to the truck. The 6.0 cooler are much larger, bolt in almost stock, and drop the temps quite a bit.

A Derale fan type is where I might head.

As mentioned, a cool tranny, is a happy tranny.

My truck has 168k on it, and by how firm the tranny shifts, I would have to say it has been overhauled, with some improvements.

These trannys head south anywhere from 100 to 160k.

All things considered, I think you have a great truck there.
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Just keep in mind, you CAN NOT run extended life coolant (ELC) in an e99. The sealant Ford / International / Navstar used on the fuel injector cups is not compatible with ELC. It will eat through it and create on heck of a headache. Late 99 and up used a different sealant.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
Just keep in mind, you CAN NOT run extended life coolant (ELC) in an e99. The sealant Ford / International / Navstar used on the fuel injector cups is not compatible with ELC. It will eat through it and create on heck of a headache. Late 99 and up used a different sealant.
That's correct.

I was referring to move, but should of mentioned that to op
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #24

You mentioned a desire to have more than 4 speeds. Gear Vendors makes a Underdrive/Overdrive unit that will split each gear. They are a very stout product. I added one to a 3 speed behind a '86 Ford 6.9 diesel in a 27' class C and it made a world of difference.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #25

I wouldn't add an over/under to be honest.

A 7.3 w/4.10s will run 2000RPM at 60MPH and a little over that at 65MPH in 4th locked, which is in the perfect range.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I wouldn't add an over/under to be honest.

A 7.3 w/4.10s will run 2000RPM at 60MPH and a little over that at 65MPH in 4th locked, which is in the perfect range.
The real issue with the over/under drive is the cost. For what it cost yes he will be just fine with the 4.10s and 4 speed
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #27

I just went out and checked some dims on the truck and it was actually built in Oct of 98 and it does have the 3.5" exhaust and a cat. Also a bit rusty so a change wouldn't hurt.

So if you go to the 4", is there a new turbo or just an end plate to take the larger pipe. I'll check out the sites you provided earlier and learn what I can. It was too dark to check the trans cooler.

I'll be back!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #28

WTH my post didn't get posted? So I'll start over.

I went out and checked the specs on the truck and it was actually mfg in Oct of 98. It does have the 3.5" exhaust with the cat. It's a bit rusty so a change wouldn't hurt. Its cold and dark so I didn't get to see the trans cooler. Project for tomorrow. So Am I going to need a upgrade turbo too, to go with the 4" exhaust?

I know old diesels from working on boats so this new tech stuff I'm going have to learn. When you say cold air intake, what makes the difference? It looks like any other plastic box with a filter.

And thanks for the links, it's becoming a learning experience. I just need to find some place or someone to do the work since the RV park will not allow it.

Tags
power, weight