Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #85

If it's an early 99 then you need to get a pcm from a 2000. I don't know all the specifics but read that Ford changed the programming and will make a new truck out of an early production unit. Read online or maybe smokeywren knows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #86

Nor'easters Club
There is a bit more to it than just the PCM. early 99 trucks had a smaller turbo for one. There are a few other changes. But if I remember correctly from early on in this thread, this truck is not an e99, so its the same as the 2000 - 2003 7.3 trucks (for the most part)

Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
But if I remember correctly from early on in this thread, this truck is not an e99, so its the same as the 2000 - 2003 7.3 trucks (for the most part)
Your rememberer has gone racin'. Or somewhere. Delmarrey's truck is an early '99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Is was built in Nov. of 98, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
All "early" '99 7.3Ls, even those sold in Texas, had a catalytic converter. And the cutoff date between early '99 and '99.5 was early December, 1998. So yours came with a cat.
The following, written in 1999, is based on TheDieselStop.com FAQ, which I helped write:

Changes for the 1999.5:

Changes affecting performance:

•New front-intake "cool-box" air filter box. The early '99 drew intake air from the front fenderwell, and the '99.5 drew air from the front grill area.

•New down pipe. The early '99 down pipe was very restrictive, and the 99.5 downpipe was much more free-flowing.

•Larger turbo

•Catalytic converter removed

•New injectors

•Lower restriction intercooler

And a few minor content changes:

•Bed body side molding removed.

•Passenger side airbag standard across the line

•Passenger lumbar removed

•"Superduty" added to the rear tailgate badge for F-350
Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #88

Nor'easters Club
I stand corrected SmokeyWren.

Nice to see the list, I often wondered exactly what the differences were.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #89

Quote:
There is a bit more to it than just the PCM. early 99 trucks had a smaller turbo for one. There are a few other changes. But if I remember correctly from early on in this thread, this truck is not an e99, so its the same as the 2000 - 2003 7.3 trucks (for the most part)
Nope!
You need to go back and re read. Smokey's description is right on as far as I know except it does have a passenger side airbag, and never checked the lumbar support. I'll have to see when I get back from the Philippines.

But I'm happy with it now with all the performance goodies. I'm laid back when hauling and it gets me where I need to go so no hurry. I just need to take it EZ on the 4 speed auto.

One thing I didn't mention, is that it cruises better at 65 then at 55. It seems to have more hp/torque at the higher RPMs.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
One thing I didn't mention, is that it cruises better at 65 then at 55. It seems to have more hp/torque at the higher RPMs.
Yep, my 7.3L when stock had to be going at least 62 MPH when towing 8,000 pounds to not downshift for every little bump in the road. Study the HP curve to see why. The torque peak is 1,600 RPM but it doesn't make enough horses at 1,600 RPM to maintain speed without constant downshifting. 1,700 RPM is better, but still not ideal. You need at least 1,750 RPM to get up high enough in the HP curve to make enough horses to pull the load. I found the minimum speed with 3.73 axle and LT235/85R16E tires was 62 MPH, which was almost 1,800 RPM.

Even when pumped up to 300 HP and 600 torque with intake, exhaust and tuning mods, it still towed good at 62 MPH and not so good at lower speeds. That hot-rodded diesel pickup would tow that trailer at 90 MPH with no sweat, but MPG went in the gutter in a hurry at speeds over 62 MPH. So I usually laid back and cruised at 62 MPH when towing. (I towed that trailer about 100,000 miles over 10 years).
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #91

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Yep, my 7.3L when stock had to be going at least 62 MPH when towing 8,000 pounds to not downshift for every little bump in the road. Study the HP curve to see why. The torque peak is 1,600 RPM but it doesn't make enough horses at 1,600 RPM to maintain speed without constant downshifting. 1,700 RPM is better, but still not ideal. You need at least 1,750 RPM to get up high enough in the HP curve to make enough horses to pull the load. I found the minimum speed with 3.73 axle and LT235/85R16E tires was 62 MPH, which was almost 1,800 RPM.

Even when pumped up to 300 HP and 600 torque with intake, exhaust and tuning mods, it still towed good at 62 MPH and not so good at lower speeds. That hot-rodded diesel pickup would tow that trailer at 90 MPH with no sweat, but MPG went in the gutter in a hurry at speeds over 62 MPH. So I usually laid back and cruised at 62 MPH when towing. (I towed that trailer about 100,000 miles over 10 years).
That sounds about right, due to my larger tires, my speeds need to be higher than 62, but the rpm range is exactly what I do. If I fall bellow 1650, then the hill climbing ability goes out the window.

What did you use for your HP and TQ figures there Smokey? Just curious, its always interesting to hear about someones setup.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What did you use for your HP and TQ figures there Smokey? Just curious, its always interesting to hear about someones setup.
Automated chassis dynometer. I forgot the name of the outfit, but it was a speed shop in north Dallas. Later confirmed by a portable dynometer at a diesel truck rallye somewhere up north - probably at Indianapolis for a Brickyard 400 NASCAR race at IMS combined with a NASCAR truck race across town at the "other" Indianapolis race track.

Beginning with a stock '99.5 PowerStroke, the actual mods were a Western Diesel TurboRamAir intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo-back 409 stainless exhaust system (with Western Diesel's name on it), and DP-Tuner 80-tow tune. Full gauges, of course. I think I still had the stock tranny then. Later I replaced the tranny and torque converter with a BTS, but that was for longevity not performance.

And I probably had LT295/75R16E tires when I had the rig dynoed. But I didn't like towing performance with those tall tires, so I eventually went back to stock-size LT235/85R16E Michelin XPS.

Western Diesel went belly up a few years later, so the TurboRamAir is no longer available. The TurboRamAir fell apart after about 10 years, so I replaced it with the Ford Severe-Duty Air Induction System (AIS). Performance and EGTs were almost identical with the TurboRamAir and AIS.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #93

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Automated chassis dynometer. I forgot the name of the outfit, but it was a speed shop in north Dallas. Later confirmed by a portable dynometer at a diesel truck rallye somewhere up north - probably at Indianapolis for a Brickyard 400 NASCAR race at IMS combined with a NASCAR truck race across town at the "other" Indianapolis race track.

Beginning with a stock '99.5 PowerStroke, the actual mods were a Western Diesel TurboRamAir intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo-back 409 stainless exhaust system (with Western Diesel's name on it), and DP-Tuner 80-tow tune. Full gauges, of course. I think I still had the stock tranny then. Later I replaced the tranny and torque converter with a BTS, but that was for longevity not performance.

And I probably had LT295/75R16E tires when I had the rig dynoed. But I didn't like towing performance with those tall tires, so I eventually went back to stock-size LT235/85R16E Michelin XPS.

Western Diesel went belly up a few years later, so the TurboRamAir is no longer available. The TurboRamAir fell apart after about 10 years, so I replaced it with the Ford Severe-Duty Air Induction System (AIS). Performance and EGTs were almost identical with the TurboRamAir and AIS.
Thanks for the info, that sounds pretty good. I was wanting to do the DP tune on mine as well, but with the bigger tires I fear it might be too much, so the computer remains stock for now. I plan on keeping the 7.3 for many years to come.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #94

goneracin,

When I bought my DP Tuner I had to fill out a questionnaire. And some of the questions dealt with modifications, including tire sizes.

You might want to email and ask if tire sizes are accounted for in any of their programs. I know they have been dealing with the 7.3 for a long time now.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #95

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
goneracin,

When I bought my DP Tuner I had to fill out a questionnaire. And some of the questions dealt with modifications, including tire sizes.

You might want to email and ask if tire sizes are accounted for in any of their programs. I know they have been dealing with the 7.3 for a long time now.
Yes, I have spoken to Jody at DP a few times, just trying to decide if I want to bite the bullet. I dont really need it for my trailer, but it would be nice to have.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dont really need it for my trailer, but it would be nice to have.
That's what I said before I added a towing tune to my '99.5 F-250 diesel. But after towing with the towing tune for a while, then I hated trying to tow without it.

My main computer (PCM) went south one time, and my old chip wasn't compatible with the new PCM. Then I had to make a long tow from west Texas to Seattle and back without the chip. That was a miserable trip for the driver. As soon as I got back home I ordered an Edge Evolution programmer/tuner. That was certainly better than a stock tune, but not as good as a DP-Tuner custom tune. Then Bill Cohron, the Edge guru, joined Jody at DP-Tuner for awhile (before Bill later started up Power Hungry Performance). For a reasonable price (around $100) DP-Tuner offered to replace the generic Edge Evolution tunes with DP-Tuner custom tunes . So I had it done. 80-tow, 80-Economy, 100 performance, the best of the Ford stock tunes, plus another performance tune I never used, all installed in my Edge Evolution. I was a happy camper for several years, running 80-tow almost all the time, loaded or unloaded.

I haven't considered adding a tune to my EcoBoost. First I have to find a guru programmer for the EcoBoost as good as Jody Tipton or Bill Cohron are for the Ford 7.3L diesel. And that's hard to do. If you find one, please let me know.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #97

Nor'easters Club
I couldn't agree more Smokey. I have heard nothing but positive remarks about Jody and his company. And I'm sure it will be night and day with a quality tune such as his. I just think I should really focus on getting the truck re-geared first before adding more power. However, as you know, there is quite a cost difference between a chip and a gear change. Its a constant discussion in my head of how much I want to put into a 13 year old truck that already does what I need, and I only drive her once a week. (just to keep her moving)

But I think you touched on a very good point. A custom tune from someone who knows the 7.3 very well, will be far better than a canned tune from someone who does a little bit of everything.

Tags
power, weight