Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I did a quick look at the CA rules and found a page that said the only restriction on double was the hitches had to be of sufficient capacity for what they were towing.

Other jurisdictions I looked at specify the first hitch must be a 5 wheel pin.
Gordon, would you mind sharing the link you found? I'm(and others might be) interested in reading that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I have an email saved from Valley division of CHP that answers the question i asked about pulling two bumper pulls. What Gordon said is right that hitches need to be sufficient to pull the weight and not to exceed 65ft in length. I too have a Class A cdl and try to keep up on the regs that apply to what i do.
Valley Division is who I was communicating with (about 5 years ago). The email he sent me was a complete contrast to your email. Had I known that there would be different information from the Authorized Source, I would have saved a copy of my email. Do you carry that 'Golden Ticket' Email with you when your traveling with your doubles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
doubles max length in Cali is 75'.
The CHP Commercial Supervisor stressed that my setup be no longer than 65' from front bumper to the rear of last trailer. IDK, but me thinks the 75' is for Truckers not RVers.

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Never seen doubles in Cal without one being a fifth wheel. I did see a guy with a van pulling a trailer and 2 boats on a back road in Tennessee. I almost fell off my bicycle and wasn't able to get a picture.

Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE=r___r;3131909]Gordon, would you mind sharing the link you found? I'm(and others might be) interested in reading that info.
QUOTE]

CA Codes (veh:29000-29009)

29003 is the relevant section. This is as far as I looked. Double towing does not affect me so extent of interest.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
CA Codes (veh:29000-29009)

29003 is the relevant section. This is as far as I looked. Double towing does not affect me so extent of interest.
Yes, as doubles won't interest you or most here, that's still a good quick search find. Thanks for the link.

I read a little further and think that NevadaNick might find 29007 (f) interesting.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Some great feedback here, thanks all. Decided to get the trailer and the journey starts mid September, west to Calgary (from Windsor) then south to Utah then Nevada then California for Christmas. Then east and finally north back to Canada re: the six month out of country requirements. Excited and apprehensive as well. Jimmy B
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I came across this PDF document which I have attached entitled Federal Size regulations for Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV).

Look at Page 11 which references Figure 16, Recreational Vehicles.

These regulations are in effect on the entire Dwight Eisenhower Federal Interstate Highway System.

However, when not driving on the Interstate Highway System then each state has authority over their state highways BUT still as they pertain to Recreational Vehicles NOT commercial vehicles unless of course you use your recreational vehicle for commercial purposes which some people do.

You would need to research EVERY state to see what regulations they have specifically for recreational vehicles. An example would be CA that prohibits 45 foot recreational vehicles on certain highways.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Federal Size CMV Regulations.pdf (1.11 MB, 15 views)