Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #15

These so called weight police experts would problably really like to have Peterbuilts pulling popups.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iawoody2 View Post
These so called weight police experts would problably really like to have Peterbuilts pulling popups.
All kidding aside, it's more a matter of trying to help the newbie who has come into iRV2 wanting to know how to size a truck/towable RV when the truck and/or RV salesman has told him that he can tow a 16K GVWR 36' 5th wheel RV with an F150. All too often the salesman doesn't know how to size a rig, or if he does know, his first objective is to sell the truck/RV.

Some of us will try to help the newbie size a truck or RV that will stay within all the respective manufacturer ratings, but at the end of the day, it's the buyer's choice of who he wants to believe and which (if any) ratings he decides that it's OK to exceed. No one can "make" him do anything.

Way back in my "green" days of RVing, I've had RV salesmen tell me too many times that my truck (whatever it might have been at the time) could "...pull anything I've got on the lot!" I had to learn the hard way that wasn't true. I paid for my education as there wasn't an Internet to learn from in those days; I only hope that someone else can learn what I did without having to make the $ame mi$take$.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I was not

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Was not aware that duallys had smaller front tires.
I was not aware of that myself. All 7 tires on my 3500 are the same size and are interchangeable on ant position on the truck.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Many duallys have smaller tires than their SRW siblings.

For example 2013 F-350 4x4.
The SRWs have LT275/70R18E, 33.6" diameter, weight capacity 3,640 pounds each, with 20" tires/wheels optional.
The duallys have LT245/75R17E, 31.6" diameter, weight capacity 3,195 pounds each, without other optional sizes. There are optional A/T tread patterns, and optional OWL on the sidewalls of the 4 outside tires, but not optional tire sizes.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Right, but all 6 (7 with the spare) tires are the same size from the factory.

Rusty
Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
caissiel,

What is the GVWR of your truck and what is the actual GVW when loaded, fully fueled and towing your 39 foot long, 15,500 lb GVWR 5th wheel?

Rusty
Rusty, you should know by now that caissiel is NEVER going to give us any weight information on his truck. He enjoys telling folks about the mods he has made to prop up his overloaded truck.

You can compare providing educational material to providing a horse water. Like leading a horse to water, you can provide educational information to some people and that horse will not drink just because he has water. Some some folks choose to remain lacking in knowledge.

If he can post some real weights for his rig, and he is under ratings, I will gladly apologize to him.

Ken
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's getting a bit too heated in here with the personal jabs. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. Let's discuss the subject calmly & rationally, ok? (please?)

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #22

Thanks Lori.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #23

Yeah, I've seen comments from posters on other websites that this forum isn't very friendly with over the top comments.

Back to the OP topic.

Carrying weight over the trucks GVWR isn't unsafe nor is it illegal to do so.

Carrying weight above the GAWRs/tire capacities is unsafe and its illegal to do so.

The GAWRs are certified by the truck maker. Thats why dot says the sum of the GAWR can be the trucks GVW. This is the way trucking has operated for more years than RVs have been around. So carrying weight at that thresh hold is safe and we do it for several hundred thousand miles. Before the certain members jump in here with their uninformed "commercial theories" this how it is for any truck on the road. Even a RV.

Now having said that LDT makers give us a GVWR which can be within a couple of hundred lbs of the GAWRs. Or as some of the older trucks GVWR is much lower. Either way GVWR has no legal status as loads a trucks front or rear axle can carry.

And thats why we have disagreements.

Now the heated rhetoric problem comes from certain members that disagree with others and make argumentative comments comparing them to a drunk or a texter or leading a horse to drink or other bullying comments to another member about his weights or some of the other rude comments we have to endure on this forum. They do nothing but make themselves sound silly.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #24

My truck is certified by Ford for a capacity of 23000 lbs and I have 14000 lbs of trailer capacity leaving 9000 lbs for the truck. I will never load my unit to full capacity although I have travelled with full fresh water tank of 70 imperial gallons. I see more SRW trucks towing heavy units and I also see duals hooked up to small units with no load in the box.
I am set up for comfort and drive accordingly. And never would leave home with 30psi on the rear tire because the F450 drives to rough like my neighbour does. He was very surprised when I told him I had full air pressure in my tires. The larger SRW tires provide an extra cushion thus improving the ride and tire strenght. Noting rides better then a loaded tire and easier on the drive train in our northern rough roads.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
caissiel,

So why won't you answer my question? What's the GVWR (the manufacturer's maximum total allowable weight of the truck and carried cargo) of your truck, and what's the actual GVW of the truck loaded, fully fueled and towing your 39', 15,500 GVWR 5th wheel?

Rusty
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Carrying weight over the trucks GVWR isn't unsafe nor is it illegal to do so.

Now having said that LDT makers give us a GVWR which can be within a couple of hundred lbs of the GAWRs. Or as some of the older trucks GVWR is much lower. Either way GVWR has no legal status as loads a trucks front or rear axle can carry.
The manufacturers are crystal clear on this. GVWRs are NOT to be exceeded. Statements such as this are the whole point of this thread - self-justification to exceed the manufacturer's ratings on the tow vehicle. If you choose to run over the manufacturer's ratings, that's your choice, but to recommend it as SOP for newbies or everyone else is a whole other matter.

Rusty
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 AM   #27
laj

the problem Rusty with all this is people don't understand or take the time to learn the mechanicals of what goes into how the manufactures determine weights, no matter which ones. goes all the way from Hardening on the bearings, flexing of the axles, tire size and type to the whole build of the truck, from LDTS all the way to class 8's. it's really easy, the manufactures have done all this for them, just read the gawr, and the gvwr, load it to or below that and go enjoy rving with no worries. like we say in aviation, follow the manufactures rules, or become a test pilot jmho
Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
My truck is certified by Ford for a capacity of 23000 lbs and I have 14000 lbs of trailer capacity leaving 9000 lbs for the truck.
Your truck is certified by Ford for a GCWR of 23,000 pounds provided you do not exceed the GVWR or GAWRs of your truck. Unlike some other brands, with a Ford SuperDuty with a GCWR of 23,000 pounds and a properly-loaded RV trailer, you will never reach the GAWRs without first exceeding the GVWR. And with a tandem-axle RV trailer loaded for RVing, you will never reach the 23k GCWR without first exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle. So the GVWR is your limiter.

If you choose to ignore Ford's very clear weight limits, that's up to you. But you should not be encouraging others to follow your example of ignoring the GVWR of your tow vehicle.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
Closed Thread