Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #1

Overly concerned with pin weight?

I've been reading all these different forums and find the 5th wheel crowd very (overly?) concerned with pin weights. Yet the folks who carry heavy campers in their beds seem only concerned with the amount of power to move everything down the road. TC crowd is ok with a 3200 pound camper in the bed of a 2500 truck but the 5er weight police go ballistic if that were pin weight.

Am I missing something here about how much weight our trucks can really handle?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #2

Pretty logical assumption, but can't answer that question

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
TC crowd is ok with a 3200 pound camper in the bed of a 2500 truck....
Oh, well, then, I guess that justifies everyone running 1000 lbs or more over their vehicle's rated GVWR. Hey, Mom, all the TC kids are doing it, so it must be OK.

It looks like this is nothing more than another round of self-justification for running overloaded vehicles.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Azdryheat seemed to have a legitimate question didn't seem like he was asking for a fight. Seems that there might be a logical answer to his question. If the pin weight governs the size of a 5th wheel it can handle what governs the size of truck camper. I subscribed to this thread to learn the answer myself not to hear sarcasm.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The truck's GVWR minus the curb weight of the truck determines both. The question is whether or not the GVWR is ignored. This has been discussed literally hundreds of times on this forum over the last 13 years that I've been here.

Rusty
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

I have a 2012 dually truck with the camper package. I have a certification paper in the glove box that shows mounting points for a slide in camper. It also states that the contents of the truck can not be more 3740lbs. I carry about 500 lbs of stuff in the truck. Me, fuel, tools, chain, DW etc. That means my dually truck can carry a max of a 3240 lb. camper. (3740 minus 500).

I doubt a SRW truck would have the same certification. I get the impression that I need this certification if I buy a slide in camper.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

Define a legally overloaded truck.

As far as the TC forums vs 5th wheel forums IMO most TC forum folks (mods and members) are more tuned to DOTs legal description of a overloaded private use truck such as a truck and RV.

I don't think snippy replies to a serious question helps other than stirrin' the pot.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'm one of those "police", cause I don't believe in exceeding the GVWR whether with a trailer of a TC or a load of bricks.

That said, any vehicle weight rating is an arbitrary number. The wheels don't fall off if you go one lb over, nor are you bullet proof cause you stayed 1 lb under. So, yeah, you can exceed a weight rating and you can get away with it, at least for awhile. But it is going to cost you in the long run, in wear and tear and maybe worse than that in an emergency handling situation.

You can also exceed the speed limit, text while driving, drive under the influence, and all sorts off ill-advised things. It's just pushing the envelope a bit, right?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #9

If the "TC crowd is ok with 3200lbs in a 2500 series truck" that is their decision. Weight is weight and ratings are ratings--what someone does with the info...campers load the rear axle just as pin weight does, if its over with the pin weight, its over with the camper at the same weight.
As to my personal opinion, having seen 250/2500 trucks with large campers going down the road, it seems more of a problem with the campers the the fivers due to the high center of gravity.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #10

Some trucks can carry their loads much better then others when in stock form. My 98 GM diesel was rated for a 8600 lbs trailer and the 8.1gas was rated for 12000 lbs. Well I towed an 11400 lbs GVW unit for 9 years and my only problem was front tire traction when applying the brakes. Since the gas unit had same limitation with less weight on the front I drove accordingly with antilocks disabled which gave me better brakes.with loads. No way I was going to have smaller front tires like the duals had. 4000 lbs seamed to load the rear just right.

My F250 with same trailer and stock springs and camper overload plies drove like a buckboard and the top helper was not hardly loaded. But one extra ply made it ride as well as the Stock GM.
Now with the heavier unit I had to add one additional ply to keep the load off the overload ply. It rides like a top and braking has been fantastic. My 265 x17. At 75 lbs initial pressure read 80psi when loaded and ride very well. I hit the pot holes with the truck rather the the trailer whenever I can and so fare my rear tires have taken the blows. One tire on rear is the original 8 year old spare that I have run on the rear for the past 6 years and still is the best performing tire on my truck. Hay for BFGoodrich.
Unless its over 2100 lbs unloaded I will stick to SRW. But unlike what I here I would never reduce rear dually tire pressure for the sake of ride and comfort. If one of the dual tire fails it overloads the remaining tire and replacement of both is requited. Seen it so many times by friends that insist on duelly trucks. In most circumstances the toyhaulers are pin heavy and should never be loaded on SRW. and for that reason I will never own one. Most well made 5th wheel can be towed safely with SRW but the heavy ones I have no use because they are to heavy to be on the highway behind a common pickup. They are more for 2 ton units. As are some toyhaulets.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #11

Was not aware that duallys had smaller front tires.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
caissiel,

What is the GVWR of your truck and what is the actual GVW when loaded, fully fueled and towing your 39 foot long, 15,500 lb GVWR 5th wheel?

Rusty
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I've been reading all these different forums and find the 5th wheel crowd very (overly?) concerned with pin weights. Yet the folks who carry heavy campers in their beds seem only concerned with the amount of power to move everything down the road. TC crowd is ok with a 3200 pound camper in the bed of a 2500 truck but the 5er weight police go ballistic if that were pin weight.

Am I missing something here about how much weight our trucks can really handle?
I know I will hear from some of the so called weight police but I do not go by what they say. They are EXPERT's in their mind and the engineering definition of an EXPERT is X is an on known quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure.

Now I do not know what GMC publishes but Ram trucks have a PDF booklet that is called the Ram Body Builder’s Guide. In this booklet Ram published information from the Ram vehicle engineers on what size trailer the trucks can tow and what size slide in camper that can be used in what model of truck. For the 2008 MY truck which I have I included the link at the bottom of the post. Each model year has their own unique information and is available for free to read and down load from this site. This is what I used to determine what size camper and slide in camper to use.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2008/docs/dr/cgrqc.pdf

Jim W.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Also in the Ram Bodybuilder's Guide on the same page as each truck's towing and payload ratings is the following statement in item #4 of the footnotes:

Quote:
Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.
Using the bodybuilder's guide is great - I highly recommend it. However, if one is going to use it, use ALL of it.

Rusty

Closed Thread