Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
Thank you for the answers. I didn't realize there was a potential problem until reading this forum. Now I have a decision to make and i don't like the conclusion. I don't want to be unsafe so will have to sell the trailer. I am not sure a class A is a possibility and my family/wife won't consider a class C - not sure how well we'd fit anyway. We may have to give up RVing until I get some of these kids out of the house.

It seems the easiest thing in the world to find and make a good deal on would be a vehicle capable of handling your TT and your family. Must be a "ton" of them out there, and yes that is a pun.

Good luck to you what ever you decide.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you for the answers. I didn't realize there was a potential problem until reading this forum. Now I have a decision to make and i don't like the conclusion. I don't want to be unsafe so will have to sell the trailer. I am not sure a class A is a possibility and my family/wife won't consider a class C - not sure how well we'd fit anyway. We may have to give up RVing until I get some of these kids out of the house.
This is a hard reality you will have to deal with. Safety is paramount and sometimes there just any way to cut corners to achieve this. I think others have already provided a bit more detail on some of the bad things that can happen. If all goes well, you can see 2-5 minutes into the future to avoid panic stops, avoid big hills and other things that being over-gross can affect, you could do just fine. That is not an option you can grab on to.

As I have tried to understand your OP, it sounds like your vehicle could be over weight without a TT on it. Not sure but that is an issue all by itself. If that is the case, there is no mitigation other than a new vehicle you can perform without chucking out excess dogs and kids...not highly advisable. LOL

I think you answered your self in the first first post. Well, for the most part you did. I suppose there are some big tow vehicle options that could also work but were not high on your list of plausible choices. It sounds like it has come down to simple math, $ and cents/sense. Been there, done that.

You might find a solution that just wasn't on the radar scope when you started. Getting out of what you have and into what works will be hard but can be done. I think many folks would agree that with the economy we are in a buyer's market. My wife and I didn't see a Class A in our future for a couple years but here we are with on now.

Be safe, best wishes and do some more homework. Keep us posted.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=njs42;1187433]It seems the easiest thing in the world to find and make a good deal on would be a vehicle capable of handling your TT and your family. Must be a "ton" of them out there, and yes that is a pun.

I agree a heavy duty 3/4 ton or more something would be what I would
look for even if it were to just tow the TT with.
I keep a old 75 Chev just to tow my big boat with that is rated at 1 1/2 ton
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GWT,

Though many of the above replies may seem harsh, they are accurate. That said, many of us applaud you for doing something that most in your situation would not do; care... I trust I speak for most, that your awareness and genuine concern of a potential problem is appreciated by all of us that share the road.

Safe travels!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
look at the video in this thread. And look at the size of the truck.
Watch that wind!
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #20

Just want to know "Did a salesman tell you it was okay to pull the trailer with your vehicle?" With that size of family, you will have a hard time finding a vehicle to fit your needs. maybe a 1 ton van would do the trick? You are not the first one to tow such a large TT with the wrong vehicle, but at least you are listening to what people have to say. Another option would be to park your TT at a campground, etc.. and use it as a second home. Selling it is almost always a losing situation for the seller in this market.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #21

Again thanks to all. Fortunately after a brief conversation with my wife we are both in agreement that something must be done. Like some have said there are options and we must weigh them. Actually she and I have been talking about this since my discovery of it a couple of weeks ago. But without fully understanding the risk I didn't know how urgent the situation was. Thus my OP. I have considered a diesel 3500 pickup but it won't fit seven. The kids think it be great fun to ride in the trailer but that isn't going to happen. We could take two cars when we go camping I suppose. I don't think a 3/4 ton suburban is big enough either. If it were that would be the best and easiest solution. I will have to revisit that option.

Harsh reality? Yes. I bought the trailer new so will take quite a hit on depreciation. Plus finding something else that all seven of us like as well as our trailer will be a challenge. Heck it's a challenge figuring out where to go to dinner and make everyone happy. :-). But, after getting input here I don't like my current situation Is unacceptable regardless of the financial impact.

Safe travels!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #22

Sorry. Had a blending of thoughts in the last paragraph.

Of course the dealership said it was ok. Actually the main person I listened to was my dad. He has pulled fifth wheels for 20 years and full timed for 10. I know he was always concerned about his vehicle weight so wouldn't say he turned a blind eye to the issue. But in my case a little more information may have led him to different advice. Again being new to this who knows exactly what info I gave him.

I bought the trailer a year ago and have been on a learning curve ever since. I wish this part of the curve had come before I bought the trailer!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford E series vans can be configured to Class IV 10,000 lb towing capacity. It would have the room for your family of 7.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your risking too much. You may hurt yourself, family and those you get in an accident with. When you recover from the hospital you may be charged with manslaughter or 3rd degree murder for gross negligence.

Would like to know when your on the road so I can rest that day.

Its just not worth it. If you can't afford it ......wait til you can and stay off the road.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
The risk is the TT swaying back and forth and fish tailing to the point you lose control. I have seen many accidents like this by people that thought they could control the trailer. One was in Asheville NC where the rig turned over killing the drivers son and seriously injuring the drivers daughter. The driver was charged with a felony death and injury for not having enough TV to control the trailer. Hopefully he got enough prison time to think about what he had done for a long time.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Ford E series vans can be configured to Class IV 10,000 lb towing capacity. It would have the room for your family of 7.

That is the perfect solution. An E350 is a superb choice; seats 11, so all those kids don't have to touch each other, and can pull a much heavier trailer than a 1500 Suburban. Chances are you can sell the Suburban and get a very nice E350 Club Wagon for the same or less money.

If this is not an acceptable solution, a Class C motorhome is likely a far better choice than a Class A. Typically, Class C coaches are designed to sleep more bodies; with the overcab bunk, convertible sofa & dinette, as well as a rear bed. Not at all hard to find a C Class that will sleep 7-8.

Absolutely no reason this family needs to stop RV'ing, as there are relatively simple solutions that won't cost a lot.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
The risk is the TT swaying back and forth and fish tailing to the point you lose control. I have seen many accidents like this by people that thought they could control the trailer. One was in Asheville NC where the rig turned over killing the drivers son and seriously injuring the drivers daughter. The driver was charged with a felony death and injury for not having enough TV to control the trailer. Hopefully he got enough prison time to think about what he had done for a long time.

I find that very hard to believe. Sounds more like an urban legend than reality. Got snopes?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Why not consider a seasonal site until the right tow vehicle comes into your life? No need to take a financial hit. Just "camp" in one place until you upgrade your TV.