Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #29

Great idea for the van! I had never considered that but will investigate it. That may be the solution.

When we bought our trailer it wasn't really for camping. Everyone in my family does triathlons, some of which are a bit of a drive. These events are often 2-3 day events. So rather than driving back and forth we would look at hotel rooms. With 5 kids we always had to get two rooms and were still crowded with our gear, bikes etc. my wife had no interest in camping but liked the idea of a cheaper way for us to travel to events. When we saw our TT it was perfect for our needs.

Since then she has come to love "camping" and misses taking the trailer out when we can't for a few weeks. She had never camped at all before. Her idea of roughing it was the La Quinta. So this effort to save some money and still be comfortable has transformed into a lifestyle. She is still pretty picky about where she will camp so it's not like the places I would go with the boy scouts.

Now we need to figure out our best option. Maybe a better way to say that is ultimately it'll be what keeps my wife happy. :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu just go here4 and get one of these and don't worry about it.
Wil-Ro Trail-Hauler

Seriously a lot depends on what you mean by overweight, 100 pounds over a 7500 pound tow limit.. That's one thing, 1000 pounds, is quite a different thing.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #31

so much emotional malarky spread in this thread. finally wa8yxm asks what others should have. Usually there's a discussion of the TV weight, the trailer weight, and the GCWR, and sofar there's no info except we all know a half ton is undersized. But, a later model 3/4 T with a decent hitch, load bars, and overload springs in the back might not be that far off. Need the data....
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #32

Someone mentioned trailer length compared to tow vehicle length. Actually it is a huge factor, especially with the Ford extended vans that have such a long overhang behind the rear axle. Read David's RV tips
and
Hitch Hints.
Do not get discouraged, there is a solution for your dilemma. Research is your friend, hang in there. Your irv2.com extended RVing family will help if possible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is unfortunate that a salesman sold a trailer to the OP which was too heavy for his tow vehicle and then said that it would be okay. He should have told the buyer that he would need to upgrade his tow vehicle! I know how a larger trailer looks better than a smaller trailer. They are so nice and have so much room compared to a smaller vehicle. Secondly, we have a skeptic who doesn't think length matters, just weight. That is wrong and I know from personal experience. I had a long trailer that I towed behind a Suburban. It did fine - EXCEPT in certain situations. One situation was on an Interstate that I regularly traveled. It was a broad turn to the left as I was going downhill. The trailer wanted to keep going straight. I had to be prepared for this turn and slow down before I got to it. Otherwise it felt like it was pushing the rear of my Suburban to the right. It was scary! The length of the trailer vs the tow vehicle will affect any type of emergency handling. Think about a dog or deer running across the road. The other big problem is braking. Your Suburban has been tested and rated by certain standards to stop a certain load. If your load (trailer) is heavier then it will not stop as quickly as rated! And that takes in the fact that the trailer has brakes too. You can drive as carefully as possible and still have issues. I had a case where I was following a car and had left a large following distance. The car pulled off the highway to the right shoulder and stopped. I slowed down quite a bit and planned to go by him by moving a bit into the left, oncoming lane. Just as I got there the car pulled back onto the lane, turned on his left turn signal and stopped! He was waiting for some oncoming traffic to get out of the way before he turned left into a viewpoint. I suddenly had no where to go! I slammed on my brakes and slid all of my tires and ended up stopped about 10 feet behind him. If I had been overweight I am sure I would have plowed right through him! Now I know these examples are unique but they happened to me. Something similar can happen to you. You need to protect your family. That is your job in life. Don't take known risks which will add on top of unknown risks. There are other solutions to your problem than stopping camping. Some have been mentioned already by others. I'll just add a couple of other ideas to the pot. I see a lot of families bring tents for the kids. I have seen people use a class A or C and tow a tent trailer for extra people. I agree with another poster that most class Cs will sleep more people than a class A will. There are some really nice Class Cs out there. There are also ones called Super Cs which are built on truck chassis and they can be very nice. Good luck. And be safe.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #34

Threads like this are what I like about irv2. RVer's helping RVer's. There is no reason for this family to give up RVing.

To the OP, please let us know how you solved your problem with a final post in this thread. Your solution could be helpful to others who are in the same situation. Good luck.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #35

Here are the numbers

Truck
GCWR - 14,000 lbs
Total weight w passengers and cargo - 6771 lbs
Max towing - 7900 lbs

Trailer
Current estimate
Total weight - 7899 lbs including cargo and 5 gal black water. Assumed 500 lbs cargo.

Total rig weight : 14760

I've never weighed the rig so don't have actual weights. I am using published numbers, real passenger weights and an estimate of trailer cargo that I think is high for most of my travels. I am looking at other options suggested here. Am I missing something on my current calculations?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Late to the party, but something like this:
Ford : Excursion Ford : Excursion | eBay

with something like the propride 3P hitch in my garage will do what you asked...

Reason I know is that the Excursion WAS mine, seats 8, and I used the 3p hitch to tow a 35 - 38 footer thru some STORMS and wind here in texas before trading both in on my current 250 and 5er....

good luck and stay safe !
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #37

I think you're probably off on the calculations. Have you actually weighed the Suburban? My Chevy 2500 pickup weighs 7050 lb empty. Does the published trailer weight include any options, like A/C, etc? Many don't. Also, my RV carries 800 lb of fresh water, and when we add food, chairs, a bbq, etc. it's far over 500 lb I'm sure. Point is, I'm guessing you are well underestimating the real weight.

Also, max GCWR is total of both vehicles. Take 14000 lb, subtract the real weight of the fully loaded and fueled car, and that's the tow capacity, assuming the hitch, etc is rated for it. In other words, as shown your tow capacity is 14000-6771=7229 lb. I bet your car has a 5000 lb rated hitch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
Here are the numbers

Truck
GCWR - 14,000 lbs
Total weight w passengers and cargo - 6771 lbs
Max towing - 7900 lbs

Trailer
Current estimate
Total weight - 7899 lbs including cargo and 5 gal black water. Assumed 500 lbs cargo.

Total rig weight : 14760

I've never weighed the rig so don't have actual weights. I am using published numbers, real passenger weights and an estimate of trailer cargo that I think is high for most of my travels. I am looking at other options suggested here. Am I missing something on my current calculations?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #38

You need to find a CAT scale and weigh each truck axle and the whole rig. But honestly,it doesn't sound scarey dangerous bad. You're right around the limit dry, but water will add a bunch. Add the loaded trailer tongue weight at ride height (and you need to make sure that thing is level when hitched) to your truck cargo weight. that will give you an idea of how far off you are WRT the truck chassis rating. Take a look at how much your rear suspension is compressed with cargo and the trailer - you need to have travel left. Make sure you have load range E tires. You might get by with some overload springs, but it sounds like upgrading to a 3/4 T suburban would do the trick pretty easy.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Caravan - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #40

Interesting and funny, but neither of which are really relevant to the OPs situation. In one, you have a trailer with twice the weight and 3x the length of an old, worn out tow vehicle (and FWD at that) pulling a hill.

The second one is a park model and wind, where there as plenty of warning that there was too much wind to tow in.

It is pretty amazing what those little european cars can pull. The hitches are kinda funky too - sort of a curved one piece ball/mount deal.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Fairly relevant: Overweight, and length matters...
Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #42

All the drama and 30 posts before someome finally asked "what do you mean by overweight". Take your rig and trailer fully loaded including passengers, gear, full fuel tank to a scale and stop guessing. There might be lots of things you can do to put you within limits like leaving some stuff behind, travel with empty TT tanks, take a second car, etc.

FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote