Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWhoTris View Post
Thank you for the answers. I didn't realize there was a potential problem until reading this forum. Now I have a decision to make and i don't like the conclusion. I don't want to be unsafe so will have to sell the trailer. I am not sure a class A is a possibility and my family/wife won't consider a class C - not sure how well we'd fit anyway. We may have to give up RVing until I get some of these kids out of the house.
I think you are making a wise decision. A class a MH may not be a solution either because most MH's do not come equipped with the ability to strap 5 kids and 2 dogs down. In an emergency stop or God forbid, an accident you will have kids and dogs flying everywhere. Keep the SUV and get a really big tent.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #44

Felony Charge

Hi

X2 on all of the above.

In addition to all of this you have an additional problem.

In most states when you have a “serious” accident with an overloaded vehicle this takes you out of the “Administrative Law” that most of the vehicle regulations are written under and puts you into the “Common Law” bracket. This results in a Felony charge.

Bottom line, you could go to jail if your luck doesn’t stay in your favor.

3665RE
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #45

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
The second one is a park model and wind, where there as plenty of warning that there was too much wind to tow in.
The TT in the second video has a TV antenna and air con on the roof as well as two good sized propane tanks on the tongue, none of which will be on a park model.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi

X2 on all of the above.

In addition to all of this you have an additional problem.

In most states when you have a “serious” accident with an overloaded vehicle this takes you out of the “Administrative Law” that most of the vehicle regulations are written under and puts you into the “Common Law” bracket. This results in a Felony charge.

Bottom line, you could go to jail if your luck doesn’t stay in your favor.

3665RE
I suppose it could happen but I have yet to hear on this or any other forum of anyone with an RV having it happen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #47

Look at the wedge front, overhanging roof and the underside - park model.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #48

Vehicular Homicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I suppose it could happen but I have yet to hear on this or any other forum of anyone with an RV having it happen.
You will not hear about it on the forums. The first thing an attorney will do is advice the party he is representing not to talk to any one especially on the Internet.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your view I had a long time friend that was a Florida Highway Patrol investigator. For this reason I heard about a lot of the instances when the person towing had their luck run out.

The most serious event is when there is a fatality involved. The over loaded vehicle is then at fault regardless of what happened.

The 2 I remember most was a F350 pulling a lawn trailer. A car turned left in front of the truck. This resulted in 2 fatalities. The truck and trailer were towed to a scale before the owner could have it back. Fortunately he wasn’t over weight but my friend said that if so he would have been charged with vehicular homicide.

The second one was a commercial vehicle. The car ran a red light. 1 fatality the truck was over weight. Truck driver charged with vehicular manslaughter because his weight slip showed proper weight but the driver had fueled up making him over weight by 800 lbs.

There were many more. The investigators don’t differentiate between and RV and a commercial vehicle when an accident involves a fatality. Most of the rules, regulations and laws involved are the same for the commercial vehicle and the private truck being operated for personal use. This is because the states have put in place rules, regulations and laws that apply to all vehicles that very much reflect the commercial vehicle regulations.

3665RE
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #49

I never imagined the responses this thread would get. Thank you very much. It has been educational not only for me but also for others I am sure.

This weekend we did take the trailer out so we could get it cleaned up and take some good photos. I did everything I knew to minimize weight. Emptied all tanks, eliminated any unnecessary items (which I don't carry much of anyway) and even didn't grocery shop until we arrived. If the published numbers are correct my trailer dry weight is towable with my vehicle so I got as close to dry as I could. We also posted a for sale sign on the trailer. I hear you loud and clear that I need to go to a scale. There wasn't one convenient to this trip so it hasn't happened yet.

While we are looking for solutions we haven't found one that we feel is best. I am looking at a 3/4 ton tow vehicle as one option. Another option is a class A with seatbelts for all of us. That is a must have criteria and there are some out there. Right now we are trying to sell a house (rental property) and will feel much better about this decision when that is gone. Both my wife and I put a lot of miles on our cars so are considering some form of downsizing to save on gas and make them easier to drive in Houston. Plus with a 16 yr old we are facing a jump in insurance We are looking at many different options to find the right solution for us. But definitely agree that something must change. And soon.

Fortunately the trailer will be idle for a while now so we have a little time to figure this out.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #50

After much deliberation I think we've found our solution. I will be trading my BMW 750Li for a GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab. I am testing a new one now (took it home overnight and even took the trailer for a ride to see the difference). Also, I found one nearly identical to it with 21,000 miles - nothing for a diesel and about $15K less. I am going to look at it tomorrow. It will be one of those two.

I hate to give up my BMW. Its a fun car to drive. But with the CPO warranty running out within the year it makes the most sense. When we have all five kids we will just have to take two cars. Not ideal but we aren't doing long trips anyway. Plus I can easily carry all of our bikes and other race gear now. It was always a challenge before when three or more of us were racing.

Thanks again for all of the input. I know I have plenty of towing capacity now. It really is great to have a forum like this.

Safe travels.
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good luck to you and your family. See you on the road. I love a crewcab truck. Will not give mine up.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #52

General rule of thumb, if you think you're too heavy, too long, or on the ragged edge of having control of your vehilcle, you probably are.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
5 from Jordan, Minn., killed in Kansas motor home crash | StarTribune.com

Here is a prime example of being overweight and underskilled driving an RV can result in.
Background stories also have them losing 7 tires on the trip to blow outs.
1 blowout = chance
2+ blowouts = seriously overload/under inflated/ ignorant tire care

Weights limitations are stickered on vehicles and tires have load ratings. I would seriously look at load E tires if you constantly run a "full bus".
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #54

GWT, sounds like you have found a good solution to your problem. No overweight problems now. Happy trails and Godspeed on your travels.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #55

Just my 2 cents. I had a 2009 Nissan Armada and recently bought a 31 Foot Gulf stream Innsbruck.

Long stoyr short, yes, my Armada would pull it but I knew it was back there and if I got into a hilly area, my Armada would let me know it was having a go at it.

with that being said, my Armada did not have the tow package which increased the tow capacity to 10,000.

I read these (and other boards) time and time again and I knew I was at 100% towing capacity at best case, a good bit over at worse.

Went back in forth in my head and it just wasn't worth my family's safety or other peoples safety on the road either.

As much as I did not one to, I trade my Armada ( which was my baby and probably one of my favorite vehicles I ever owned) for a 2012 F250 Super Duty (did I mention my Armada was paid off and now I have a vehicle note). At the end of the day, it is worth it.

I want to make more family memories camping, but I want them to be good safe memories.

I don't want to get in the argument of what size truck one person needs vs the other. I am not that versed. For me, peace of mind is what I am after and i have it now. My truck will be pulling about 1/2 of what its towing capacity is and I am good with that.

Hope to see you in a Campground one day !

Thanks !
drakethib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #56

GWT, I am glad to hear you have found a potential solution to your conundrum.

When my beloved and I started talking about trailers, the first thing I did was a *lot* of math. I wanted to know what the theoretical and real limits to my truck were.

I didn't like those numbers. At all. What I thought I could do, I had no hope in doing without being a max manufacturer ratings. Sales guys said I'd be fine.

So, I went back to my spreadsheets, and re-ran the numbers. Again and again. Each time, I wasn't comfortable when the math was complete.

The numbers pulled us away from TT and to a PUP, because I did not want to exceed 70% of capacity. I ended up at 30% of capacity with a vintage popup, and the piece of mind going to the road that I am "doing it right".

My hats off to you, GWT, for exactly that: getting it right. Safe travels my friend, and the open road hold you and your family safe.
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote