RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #57

I will want a mid profile 5th wheel if I can not find a travel trailer I like. A salesman yesterday was consistent with the 5th wheel is much better than a travel trailer. He was saying a 32' 5th wheel is better than a 37' travel trailer. So he had me look at both and I agreed. This is probably what the OP has run into. He has a truck that is good to tow a travel trailer but wants a 5th wheel. The salesman was saying on a 12,000 lb 5th wheel you carry 3,000lbs and tow 9,000lbs. With a 38' travel trailer you need to tow all 12,000lbs.

But unlike the OP I still have travel trailers on the table. I kinda like this big Jayco. Jayco makes the exact floor plan in 5th wheel also.

To the OP, the travel trailer will put 1,230lbs. dry (around 1,500lbs wet) hitch weight on your truck while the 5th wheel version will put 3,000lbs of weight on your truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191016_135822863.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	264108

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I will want a mid profile 5th wheel if I can not find a travel trailer I like. A salesman yesterday was consistent with the 5th wheel is much better than a travel trailer. He was saying a 32' 5th wheel is better than a 37' travel trailer. So he had me look at both and I agreed. This is probably what the OP has run into. He has a truck that is good to tow a travel trailer but wants a 5th wheel. The salesman was saying on a 12,000 lb 5th wheel you carry 3,000lbs and tow 9,000lbs. With a 38' travel trailer you need to tow all 12,000lbs.

But unlike the OP I still have travel trailers on the table. I kinda like this big Jayco. Jayco makes the exact floor plan in 5th wheel also.

To the OP, the travel trailer will put 1,230lbs. dry (around 1,500lbs wet) hitch weight on your truck while the 5th wheel version will put 3,000lbs of weight on your truck.

Attachment 264108
I've said it before, I would not want to go back to a travel trailer. I like the easier (IMO) hitching of the 5er, no stupid wieght distributing hitch and heavy, bulky hitch to put on and pull off. 5er never sways. 5er has more room, more storage and takes up way less space than the TT. As I've said before, I get the same fuel economy with a 13k loaded 5er as the 5500-6000 lbs loaded TT.

It will all depend on the capacity your F250 has in RAWR and payload.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #59

Im in the opposite boat. We really want a toyhauler but the floorplans are way different when you go from a bumper pull to a fiver. Weve looked at several bunkhouse and mb fivers and tts but i really want a place to put a golf cart and a motorcycle and i want the kids to have their own room. Be very glad you guys even get to have this discussion. The wife cant figure out why im casually looking at medium dutys too since the dually shouldve been good for anything less than something like a drv but she likes the 44ft 16klb dry toy haulers.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #60

I can see the appeal of getting a MDT and skipping right over the LDT's if you want a big heavy toy hauler. I towed 18,000lbs plus twice with my LDT. It can do it but it was less comfortable than towing my 16,000lb 5th wheel.

I also loaded it once with 3,500lbs of cargo and drove it 950 miles. I could tell it was carrying that weight.

You already have the inside track to those big trucks so I would seriously think about getting an MDT...or an HDT???
Old 10-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
Forget about your engine being able to "pull" a heavy load. That's not the issue. Diesels are much heavier than gas engines and actually reduce your available payload.

Your rear axle is the weak link. That's what separates 3/4 tons from 1 tons and dually's...

Stick with the lighter TT.
I disagree with" stay with the lighter tt" a fifth wheel is going to tow much better than a travel trailer you're not going to have all that swaying taking place while you're driving down the highway your question is is will your truck stop whatever you're towing.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #62

Totally agree with the fact 5ther will tow better from TT. However, I understand everyone’s point about payload and rear axel being weak link as well as 5ther will tow better. At this point it leaves me to decide whether or not my truck will be capable of handling 13,400 GVWR 5ther going 1-2hours trips away from home vs guys using same exact truck and towing same GVWR from NY to FL and back without any issues. So how would anyone decide what will work or not or should or will there be issues!
hans-barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #63

I think if you check with truck manufacturers you'll discover it violates federal code for OEM tires exceed the capacity of the axles or the rest of major drive train components.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I disagree with" stay with the lighter tt" a fifth wheel is going to tow much better than a travel trailer you're not going to have all that swaying taking place while you're driving down the highway your question is is will your truck stop whatever you're towing.
Thats why you have trailer brakes. If you dont you arent legal hauling a 13k fifth wheel. Period.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Thats why you have trailer brakes. If you dont you arent legal hauling a 13k fifth wheel. Period.
I guess I was suggesting that he purchased a new fifth wheel and a new truck.
I agree pct about legal.
As I was very illegal towing my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel with my 05 Silverado Duramax 2500.
I now own a 2015 Silverado Duramax dually and I'm legal with room to spare.
It doesn't matter what modifications you do to a truck, you cannot change the MFG dot Sticker on the door.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #66

I just picked up 2018 GMC duramax and was thinking to upgrade to 5th wheel but looks like it will be a no go for some time...
hans-barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans-barak View Post
Totally agree with the fact 5ther will tow better from TT. However, I understand everyone’s point about payload and rear axel being weak link as well as 5ther will tow better. At this point it leaves me to decide whether or not my truck will be capable of handling 13,400 GVWR 5ther going 1-2hours trips away from home vs guys using same exact truck and towing same GVWR from NY to FL and back without any issues. So how would anyone decide what will work or not or should or will there be issues!
I recently updated my truck. I didn't buy new. I did make sure that I had a balance of factory warranty on the drive tran. I purchased a 2015 Silverado Duramax dually ltz for $40.000. So happy I did.
Plus I'm now legal. Before I was 4000 lbs overweight. I was under the impression that all my chassis and suspension and tire upgrades kept me legal, but no it doesn't matter. Can't change the dot sticker on the the door.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #68

Yep, live and learn. Now you know that most 5th wheels will put 2,500 to 4,000lbs of weight on a truck. And now you know to look at the 'occupant / cargo' capacity of a truck. You know a truck like yours with a cargo capacity of 2,155lbs should not carry a 5th wheel with a wet pin weight of 3,000lbs.

On the typical 5th wheel with the basement storage in front of the axle and a front bedroom with storage under the bed and front closet it is easy to add 1,000lbs to the pin weight.

I will continue to look for a travel trailer during this winters RV Shows because I have a F-250.

But I want to look hard at a new 2020 F-350 SRW with the 7.3 gas engine. I hope that truck can tow at least a mid profile 5th wheel.

If I can not find a travel trailer I like as good as a 5th wheel I will open up my truck search to all brands and pick the best deal.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I guess I was suggesting that he purchased a new fifth wheel and a new truck.
I agree pct about legal.
As I was very illegal towing my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel with my 05 Silverado Duramax 2500.
I now own a 2015 Silverado Duramax dually and I'm legal with room to spare.
It doesn't matter what modifications you do to a truck, you cannot change the MFG dot Sticker on the door.
It drives me wild seeing people say about the truck stopping the trailer. The truck shouldnt be stopping the trailer is all.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 AM   #70
laj

your absolutely right, as long as the trailer brake gain is set correctly as well as the controller. funny how many don’t know what a properly adjusted trailer feels like.

laj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, air