Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #15

Might be storing it at a friends for sometime. Kinda a good idea since it saves me $$$ on storage but hate that it's not on my lot

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #16

This is a shame but has a lot to do with where you live. It's going on all across America, people being beat to death with rules. That's one of the main considerations we took when we moved. No HOA's within sight of my property.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
This is a shame but has a lot to do with where you live. It's going on all across America, people being beat to death with rules. That's one of the main considerations we took when we moved. No HOA's within sight of my property.
It really might not be a HOA or 'govment' regulation issue, the OP said his trailer tongue stuck onto the driveway "about half a foot." Ever bump your shin on a trailer hitch? Ever have a Big Wheel sidewalk racer or bike rider clip a hitch? Someone might have been just looking out for the OP's fiscal security by not allowing such a hazard in the community.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #18

Good point BF, actually I think city reps were out enforcing front landscape maintenance or lack of. They must have noticed the trailer popping out the sidewalk. There's not a HOA.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you will find that about every community has some type of city code about rv parking. Our code reads that you must be at least 10 feet back from the street curb and parked on a pad that measures the entire width and length of the vehicle. Also you cannot be on the street no more than 24 hours and only for loading or unloading. Here is my old (I no longer have it) 5th wheel that is in violation. Thanks to my dear friendly neighbor who turned me in I had to move it ahead 6 ft within 24 hours. I not only got to do this in February 3 years ago but with 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. Oh yes, I had to move my son's 5th. wheel so that I could get to mine. His was only there for 3 weeks prior to him moving to North Dakota. Nice to have friendly neighbors who look out for you. Check your local ordinances. My rv driveway is over 60 foot long and I was un-intentionally breaking the code.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1747.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	85469
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #20

I sooke to someone from the city, they basically said that a trailer cannot be left out in the driveway. If the home has a 2 car garage that it needs to not block access (even if I only drive one car). The drive needs to be accessible and used as intended, my only option/non option is behind the house or the side which is not possible.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Why dont you check the city law, policy, or HOA or neighborhood policy if you really want to know? Most neighborhoods dont want trailers parked in driveways bring down the housing values. Put it in storage like most do.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #22

What happens if you "disable" the garage door in back of the trailer?. Maybe construct a removable panel to create a "one car garage" (heh-heh).

Also, get a written copy of the ordinance to see the exact wording. Does it restrict boats on trailers?. I bet you could find some examples of this if you drove around the city.

I'm of the opinion that an RV, boat, camper doesn't detract from property value if it doesn't project beyond the front plane of the house, is on pavement, and not denied by a HOA (of course, others are free to disagree with this...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeymozzer View Post
I sooke to someone from the city, they basically said that a trailer cannot be left out in the driveway. If the home has a 2 car garage that it needs to not block access (even if I only drive one car). The drive needs to be accessible and used as intended, my only option/non option is behind the house or the side which is not possible.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #23

I would not live in a place that told me what i can and can't have in my drive.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Talking "to someone" from the city is a very good step. However trying to understand the ordnance is another. I would try talking to the city engineer and then to the local alderman. And, have a copy of the ordnance for them to read during the "tea time" is a good thing too.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #25

Called again and was directed to the MC number. They said it has to be behind the garage door line, not in front. It's too tall to fit inside and construction isn't an option. I do have a buddy that offered to park it inside his 1 acre lot

Here's the code:

(b)

Location of parking facilities shall be as follows:

(1)

No parking space for a residential use shall occupy any part of a required front yard or shall occupy any part of a required street side yard of a corner lot.

(2)

Where an accessory garage or carport is accessible to vehicles from an alley, it shall be located not less than ten feet from the edge of the property line. Where the required off-street parking spaces are provided within an accessory building, a driveway to serve the off-street parking shall be a minimum of twenty feet in length from the garage structure to the property line.

(3)

Recreational vehicles can be stored on any lot provided:

(i)

the required off-street parking areas are not utilized and access thereto is not obstructed;

(ii)

said recreational vehicles must be under the same ownership as either the owner of the residential lot or the tenant; and

(iii)

no parking occurs within the area located between the front and/or side property line and the primary plane of the building abutting any street; unless in a designated driveway that does not exceed the width of the garage.

These regulations shall not restrict the storage of a recreational vehicle on a residential lot in compliance with previous regulations. Recreational vehicles under ownership by an individual or individuals other than the residents of the subject property may be stored on any lot in compliance with subsection (3)(i) so long as a permit is obtained from the Victorville Development Department and a fee is paid in accordance with the adopted fee schedule to cover administrative costs. Said recreational vehicle shall not be stored more than twenty-one consecutive days per quarter annually. No quarterly twenty-one-day periods, or portions thereof, shall run consecutively;

(4)

The off-street parking facilities required by this Article shall be located on the same lot of land as the use they are intended to serve; except, in the cases of practical difficulties, the Planning Commission may approve a substitute location which meets the following conditions:

(i)

For Residential Uses. The substitute location abuts the property for which the use being served is located.

(ii)

For Nonresidential Uses. The owner participates in a community lot or parking district, or all or part of the substitute location lies immediately adjacent to or directly across a public alleyway from the principal use for which the parking is being provided.