Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
That 1200lbs on the yellow sticker is the actual weight your truck is good for capacity wise. That's what you want to go by
If your cargo max weight is only 1200lbs you can barely pull anything. The TW of a trailer that size is going to be 1k lbs. we had a 26tbud that’s 28ft and our tongue weight was right around 1100lbs. You have significantly less capacity then my 2012 1500 Silverado. You are going to have to either find a much smaller trailer or different truck. Your numbers might say you can pull 8klbs but there are a lot of trailer types to pull and RVs have the most tongue weight versus say a boat.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
Thanks all! Just left the CAT scales.

Steer axle was 3,780 pounds and drive axle was 3,240. Gross weight was 7,020 pounds. That is with my tent and awning and spare in the truck. Also have a full sized jack in here. According to the manual my GVWR is 6,900. I was out of my truck standing on the scale when it weighed at 259 pounds.

Hmm.
That steer axle seems quite heavy for empty. My '14 RAM 1500 with Big Horn trim and 5.7l Hemi came in at 3440 empty. I'm guessing that was because you were out of the truck and standing on the same scale as the steer axle. Regardless, there just doesn't appear to be any useful payload left. We've been pulling a small single axle Jayco (3750 GVWR) in order to stay (barely) under the RAM's weight limits. We are planning to upgrade trailers later this year so just went the F-250 gas route to eliminate the lack of capability. If you are serious about the trailer then a much more capable truck is in order.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
If your cargo max weight is only 1200lbs you can barely pull anything. The TW of a trailer that size is going to be 1k lbs. we had a 26tbud that’s 28ft and our tongue weight was right around 1100lbs. You have significantly less capacity then my 2012 1500 Silverado. You are going to have to either find a much smaller trailer or different truck. Your numbers might say you can pull 8klbs but there are a lot of trailer types to pull and RVs have the most tongue weight versus say a boat.
This
Old 06-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #18

You can look up my saga from last year if you're bored, but suffice it to say I had the same goal: upgrade but maintain the ability to off road once camp is set up. The tongue weight of my 25.7' TT when loaded with gear, water, propane, and batteries left about 50 lbs. of payload for our family, dog, and anything else that might go in the tow vehicle. You can do all sorts of machinations, calculations, justifications, etc., but the cold hard reality is you will endanger yourself, your family, and the families of everyone else on the road if you think you can make it work. Many do that, but they're just an example of the selfishness of the "me first" twitter-verse we live in.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah I’m now looking at KBB to trade lol. If I take the tent off, awning off, that’s about 350 pounds less, but still will leave me over adding in tongue weight of basically any trailer.

Now my tires are much heavier than stock, coming in at 70 pounds per piece. Wonder how much I should consider that as well over stock. I know from a transmission point for sure, but not sure impact of that otherwise. Hmm this sucks a bit!
It really does. The only thing worse is when someone owns an SUV and buys a trailer thinking they will be able to do all kinds of great camping with the family. Then they find out they have even less capacity to deal with than a half ton truck and had planned to use the SUV to haul the entire family too. Most SUV's are half ton trucks with even less capacity due to the larger and heavier body
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #20

It's not impossible to match a heavy duty SUV with a trailer, but definitely requires work. We had a Nash 23F that matched really well with our Land Cruiser. We did over 20,000 miles all over the western states with no issues other than the abysmal fuel economy and needing to stop for fuel every 150 miles.

The Land Cruiser has a payload of 1285 lbs. and the same 5.7 as the Tundra. Tundra has an edge in wheelbase while LC has the beefier frame and components. Anyhow, getting into an ORV TT with a 1200 lb. tongue weight ended that.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #21

I have a very similar setup as you have/want. I have a 2019 RAM with a payload of 1352 lbs. I tow a Jayco 26BH with a dry weight of 5000 lbs and GVWR of 7000 lbs. The trailer loaded and ready to camp for a two week trip is 6000 lbs.

In the truck I carry more than you described. I have 600 lbs of occupants plus about 250 lbs of gear in the bed. (Generator and two bikes)

The RAWR on the 2019 is 4100 and I have the 3.92 gear so I have a slight advantage there.
I hit a CAT scale with this setup and slightly exceeded the GVWR but was under both axle weights. My results were:

Steer axle 3400
Drive axle 3880
Trailer axle 5560
GCVW 12840

You should be OK with what you’re looking at if you watch what you carry in the bed and try to buy a trailer with a dry weight between 4500-5500 lbs.
I towed mine on some pretty steep grades through the Smokey mountains and it did fine.
Johnvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvan View Post
I have a very similar setup as you have/want. I have a 2019 RAM with a payload of 1352 lbs. I tow a Jayco 26BH with a dry weight of 5000 lbs and GVWR of 7000 lbs. The trailer loaded and ready to camp for a two week trip is 6000 lbs.

In the truck I carry more than you described. I have 600 lbs of occupants plus about 250 lbs of gear in the bed. (Generator and two bikes)

The RAWR on the 2019 is 4100 and I have the 3.92 gear so I have a slight advantage there.
I hit a CAT scale with this setup and slightly exceeded the GVWR but was under both axle weights. My results were:

Steer axle 3400
Drive axle 3880
Trailer axle 5560
GCVW 12840

You should be OK with what you’re looking at if you watch what you carry in the bed and try to buy a trailer with a dry weight between 4500-5500 lbs.
I towed mine on some pretty steep grades through the Smokey mountains and it did fine.
So even if you had a trailer loaded at 6k with a 12% tongue weight you are still at 720lbs already at hitch weight so if he can only carry 1200lbs of cargo take away 200llbs for the drive you are just about at 1k so he Only has 250lbs to play which is fine if no one else can comes with him. So if what he says is true 1200lbs is his cargo capacity he can’t really pull more then a tent trailer.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:42 AM   #23

If you look at my setup I could basically hook my trailer up to his truck, throw my 250 lbs of gear in the bed and my family of four in the truck and we would be below the axle weights. ( only by 20 lbs on the rear)
The 23 foot he mentioned should be no problem. The larger trailer will be a bit tight. If that’s the trailer he really wants I would try it going in with the plan that an upgrade might be necessary eventually.
Pack light, get a good WDH and set it up well. Keep the bed empty or loaded with lighter, bulkier items. Drive a reasonable speed and make sure tires, suspension and brakes are in good working order. You won’t be a dangerous menace on the road despite what some on the forums will say.
The larger trailer is still half ton towable. If yours doesn’t do the job as well as you’d like, trade it for a half ton that is a bit more capable. Get one that’s a bit higher mileage or a year older than your current truck and you might be able to swap it out at little to no cost. Try trading a slightly used trailer and you’ll lose your shirt.
Johnvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #24

What Beach are you on?looks pretty peaceful.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
What Beach are you on?looks pretty peaceful.
It was. That is on Padre Island National Seashore, south beach. It is a 4WD only beach beyond mile marker 5. There is about 60 miles of beach head you can disperse camp on. Just watch the tides and be able to get yourself out, as there is ZERO cell reception or connection.
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #26

Thanks for the replies all. I'm looking at grabbing a 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins in it in another month or two. May be the better and safe option.

With that said, 1,200 pounds seems extremely low for payload. Is it possible I am reading that wrong or looking at something else? The manual states the 1,530, so not sure what could cause such a significant variation? Would it be the added weight of the comfort modules in the Laramie model?

Also, when looking at a fifth wheel, if I go with a 2500 Cummins, the payload is only at 2,390 pounds with a short bed and 2,190 pounds for a long bed. With a fifth wheel in the bed, that seems crazy low. Does that mean a 2500 isn't capable of towing a fifth wheel? I've seen tons of fifth wheels and goosenecks pulled by 2500's. Am I missing something here?
Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #27

While you are in the process of buying it is prudent to be within the proper weight limitations of the truck and trailer.

The notion however that being a small percentage over will immediately result in death or dismemberment for the population at large is not real.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies all. I'm looking at grabbing a 2500 or 3500 with the Cummins in it in another month or two. May be the better and safe option.

With that said, 1,200 pounds seems extremely low for payload. Is it possible I am reading that wrong or looking at something else? The manual states the 1,530, so not sure what could cause such a significant variation? Would it be the added weight of the comfort modules in the Laramie model?

Also, when looking at a fifth wheel, if I go with a 2500 Cummins, the payload is only at 2,390 pounds with a short bed and 2,190 pounds for a long bed. With a fifth wheel in the bed, that seems crazy low. Does that mean a 2500 isn't capable of towing a fifth wheel? I've seen tons of fifth wheels and goosenecks pulled by 2500's. Am I missing something here?
If considering a diesel I would recommend the 3500 as the 2500 will have a much lower payload with the diesel. As mobilemike points out, the notion that being over some of the limits will immediately render catastrophic results is generally not true. My guess is that many of those 250/2500 diesels you see with 5ver's attached are very close if not over one or more of the stickered limits. You can find ample debates on this specific topic that will keep you busy for hours if so inclined. For me personally, I always endeavour to stay within the stickered limits and therefore the recommendation for the 350/3500 if going diesel.

The 1530 payload in the manual is the probably the maximum available with standard features only. Your Laramie trim is a higher trim level and all of the goodies that come with the higher trim levels eat away at the payload. The door sticker is accurate for each specific truck. In the case of my '14 Big Horn - it had a payload of ~1100 yet I believe the manual stated a payload of 1480 or thereabouts.

Tags
buying, trailer