RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 PM   #1

Payload Overload? Buying First Trailer - Insight Appreciated!

Greetings all!

I could use your expertise in ensuring I am safe and within my means here as this will be my first trailer and towing experience. I certainly don't want to buy something I won't want to tow or is unsafe. First, I am pulling with a 2015 RAM 1500, 3.21 gears, 8 speed transmission, Laramie crew cab, 4x4, 5.7L V8 Hemi. It does have the heavy duty transmission cooler and the heavy duty engine cooler. It also has a class 4 hitch of course.

I have a modified suspension (Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.0) and am running on E rated Nitto Ridge Grapplers (stock size @ 33").

From the manufacturer's manual, I have the following limits:
  • Max Trailer Weight Rating: 8,000
  • GCWR: 13,800
  • Payload: 1,530
  • GAWR: 3,900 front and rear axle

I am looking to purchase either a 27' or 30' travel trailer. I swear I meant to start at 20', but at roughly the same prices we would be much more comfortable with the layouts of the larger ones. They are both rated at 7,000 pounds gross. My concern is the payload. From my really rough math, I will be really close if not over, depending on some variables. Confirming that payload includes the hitch weight on the vehicle?

The way I see it, the hitch weight of the trailers is between 560 and 610 pounds according to vendor. Manufacturer says it is 560 pounds dry or 590 dry for the larger. Add myself, my wife, and two dogs into the truck, we are at 525 pounds. That is about 1,135 pounds payload. Add in the batteries and the propane tanks, I am concerned I will be at or exceed my payload.

I saw numerous 1500's at a camp site over the weekend moving 27' and 30' foot trailers, but I want to ensure I am safe here.

Any insight into the weights here? I will have a weight distribution hitch, anti-sway bar and likely get air bags into the back springs to support the truck as I am not a fan of sagging.

I will be using this for multiple long road trips throughout the year, several thousand miles. I'm wanting to try and visit all of the national parks over the next few years.

Appreciate your recommendations and thoughts!

Trailers I am looking at are Venture RV 261VRL (30'), Venture RV 231VRB (27'). My gut tells me the 231VRB is the better option for towing at 5,240 dry and 7,000 gross max and 27'.

Exeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

Only 2 of those mean anything
GCWR and GAWR

Max Towing number and payload number from a brochure are meaningless

You need to load your truck up 'camp ready' (fuel, all pasengers, all the stuff in cab, stuff in bed etc) and then go to a CAT Scale and get weighed
Front axle weight, rear axle weight and truck total weight

Now you have REAL numbers concerning your truck
Compare those real numbers to GAWR (tire max load ratings on sidewalls), to GCVWR and then you can figure out how much weight you can add to truck

Remember hitch adds weight and trailer tongue weight should be 12% - 15% of trailers GVWR

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 PM   #3

First, those TW are estimated and second they are probably estimated on the dry weight. That means you have no water or anything you plan to bring on your trip in the trailer. You're going to be heavier than those weights once loaded, how much just depends.

A good WD hitch will do more for sag and stability than air bags in this case. Invest the money in the hitch and hold off on the bags. The bags will just give you a false sense of security. A good hitch will help control that weight.

You're going to most likely be over capacity if not right at. Some are ok with that, others (I'm one) aren't. You'll either need to go smaller on the trailer or larger on the truck.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Only 2 of those mean anything
GCWR and GAWR

Max Towing number and payload number from a brochure are meaningless

You need to load your truck up 'camp ready' (fuel, all pasengers, all the stuff in cab, stuff in bed etc) and then go to a CAT Scale and get weighed
Front axle weight, rear axle weight and truck total weight

Now you have REAL numbers concerning your truck
Compare those real numbers to GAWR (tire max load ratings on sidewalls), to GCVWR and then you can figure out how much weight you can add to truck

Remember hitch adds weight and trailer tongue weight should be 12% - 15% of trailers GVWR
Appreciate it. I'll go grab some numbers in the morning. Looks like there is a scale about twenty minutes from me. Going to have to take my tent and awning off from my last trip since those may be retiring!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

I hate to tell you because I've been through it and it sucks, but the modified suspension reduced your factory payload by a lot. The numbers you listed were for the stock suspension. The ICON suspension you installed is designed to be more compliant, giving a better ride off road, but you have to give to get and what you gave is payload.

The only off road suspension that lets you keep factory payload is AEV. It's not as forgiving off road as the others on the market but it retains factory payload.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:03 AM   #6

GoLeafsGo hit on the issue. You have a modified truck. All bets are off on what you can tow safely. It will be much lower than the stock truck. Any numbers you use will be for the stock truck not your modified truck.

I would try to rent a small trailer just to see how your truck does.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:54 AM   #7

I have no idea what the suspension mods were for but if this is a lifted or semi lifted truck that makes for a terrible tow vehicle. 33" Nitto Grapplers? That isn't stock size if you ask me but post the real numbers on the sidewalls or better yet, pics of that AND the entire truck.

I see lifted trucks try and tow with ridiculous adjustable hitches, they wallow and squirm all over the place with a real load.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

The truck is not "lifted" as I would consider it. It has factory ride height. Only adjustment was the front coilovers I raised to level the truck but can adjust them.

The reason for the suspension change is the truck is used heavily off road. The goal of having a camper is to get a base camp so I don't need to keep using a tent. It is much more comfortable.

Tire rating is max load single for 3,195 pounds, max load double is 2,910 pounds double. Tire and wheel size on my truck stock was 33" wheels with 20" rims. I changed them to 33" tires with 17" wheels.

Pics of truck as requested below from Imgur. Links in case they don't work as well.

https://i.imgur.com/bmz06ZJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZaAIIi3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ak9qoJr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HaJRNux.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2D6en3z.jpg
Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Your trucks fine. My question is are you getting the payload for the truck from the manual or off the door jamb sticker?
Regardless though, you may want to down size a tad on your trailer choice.
Another thing is even though you have an 8sp the 3.31's are going to kill your towing performance. You'll be working the 5.7 a little harder in the lower gears to compensate. Not a big deal but it won't tow as easy as if you had the 3.92's. Keeping the TT weigh down will be easier on your truck as well as staying under your weight limits.

BTW, nice tent setup.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply! Fully understood, wish I had the 3.92! The numbers are from the manual.

The yellow sticker on my door states “the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,254 pounds.” Both axles are true to manual at 3,900 max.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
Thanks for the reply! Fully understood, wish I had the 3.92! The numbers are from the manual.

The yellow sticker on my door states “the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1,254 pounds.” Both axles are true to manual at 3,900 max.
That 1200lbs on the yellow sticker is the actual weight your truck is good for capacity wise. That's what you want to go by
Old 06-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #12

Thanks all! Just left the CAT scales.

Steer axle was 3,780 pounds and drive axle was 3,240. Gross weight was 7,020 pounds. That is with my tent and awning and spare in the truck. Also have a full sized jack in here. According to the manual my GVWR is 6,900. I was out of my truck standing on the scale when it weighed at 259 pounds.

Hmm.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeter View Post
Thanks all! Just left the CAT scales.

Steer axle was 3,780 pounds and drive axle was 3,240. Gross weight was 7,020 pounds. That is with my tent and awning and spare in the truck. Also have a full sized jack in here. According to the manual my GVWR is 6,900. I was out of my truck standing on the scale when it weighed at 259 pounds.

Hmm.
It's the half ton truck game man. They just don't hold much. I had to upgrade from a Nissan Titan with the tow package to a F250 to keep my weights good.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #14

Yeah I’m now looking at KBB to trade lol. If I take the tent off, awning off, that’s about 350 pounds less, but still will leave me over adding in tongue weight of basically any trailer.

Now my tires are much heavier than stock, coming in at 70 pounds per piece. Wonder how much I should consider that as well over stock. I know from a transmission point for sure, but not sure impact of that otherwise. Hmm this sucks a bit!

Tags
buying, trailer