Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Our camping friend just upgraded his TT from a 26 ft (no slides) Sunnybrook to a 33 ft (2 slides) Sunnybrook. He has a 1999 Dodge Diesel 6 clinder and he is afraid it will not pull the new TT. Does anyone have any experience with the performance chip that plugs into the engine? And does it help any with performance?

2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38PDQ
Click on SHIP to enlarge CGC Sagebrush
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Our camping friend just upgraded his TT from a 26 ft (no slides) Sunnybrook to a 33 ft (2 slides) Sunnybrook. He has a 1999 Dodge Diesel 6 clinder and he is afraid it will not pull the new TT. Does anyone have any experience with the performance chip that plugs into the engine? And does it help any with performance?

Old 03-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Toby, I have read both plus and minus about the chips. I tried one in my 454 for about 6 months and did'nt notice any difference + or -. Maybe a diesel would be diffrent. as a side note, I bought the chip from Auto Zone in Florida for about $125. I returned the chip and they gave me a credit under their satisfaction guaranteed policy. Thought that was nice.
Klamath Falls, Oregon:The Right Side Of The Cascades!
1990 Rexhall Airex 29I,Ford 460cid,Gear Vendor,Granning Tag Axel
'87 GMC Suburban 2500 W/454 CID
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
One thing u have to be carefull about when putting a chip in a diesel or any motor for that matter is, it will void any warranty u may have left; u can usually chip most engines up to a point before u have to start beefing up other components to handle the extra power demand. Here is a good free website for info on the Cummins engine.
This forum will answer just about any question u might have on the Cummins engine.........

RustyJC on this forum is also pretty knowledgeable about the Cummins motor............
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Chips work best on a diesel engine. To max the engine performance you need a set of gauges installed first. You will need a EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge and a boost gauge and finally a trans temp gauge.
After the gauges you need to improve air intake and then the exhaust.
Just installing the chip will not have much effect unless the intake and exhaust is improved.
Contary to sales literature. It will not usually inprove MPG. It will help you get over the 6% grades but that is about it.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
I have a diesel and I have it chipped. First let me tell you it makes a world of difference. It is like losing 1000-1500 lbs off your truck. The acceleration pins you agains the seat. And this is all done with a tow chip (60hp 110ft/lb torque). You can get more aggressive chips, but for towing I would say leave them alone.

Ok, that all being said, the above posts are correct in that you WILL need gauges. The most important being EGT's (exhaust gas temp). The boost is nice and tells you how your turbo is doing. I also have the tranny temp. If you have a fairly light load 8000 lb or so you may be able to get away with chip and gauges. I have a heavy trailer. Approx 12500 loaded. When the truck would hog in to make a climb up a grade I was running into EGT problems. The temp would redline and I had to back out of the throttle to get it down. On a trip to AZ from MI this got to be quite a pain. I was struggling on some of the mt climbs, not because of lack of power, but because of temps. Had to keep backing out of the throttle all the way up the climb. So, when I got back I added the Banks Monster Exhaust (4"). I now have no problem with temps. IN fact if I hog in enough to hit passing gear I will not go into the red on temps.

Chip & gauges $800, exhaust $800 (put it on myself), making that mt climb in overdrive with cruise control on, Priceless.

P.S. I put this all on after my warrenty was up except for the 100,000 mi/5 year on the engine. This will be up this fall, so I didn't really worry about it. The rest of the warrenty of 3 years was up.
2000 35' Carri Lite fifth wheel with triple slideouts. Rear living room with a 20' awning.
99.5 Ford PSD crewcab Dually, with a Western Diesel tow chip. Set of 3 gauges, Pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Banks brake with smartlock and a Banks Monster ex
kerfcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #7
mucho thanks. I'll pass this info on to my buddy. Better yet, I'll try to get him to read and join irv2. s/Toby
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are running a SuperChips Micro Tuner on this truck and had one on the previous one as well. The Ford tranny is a weak spot and the extra power takes it toll. As suggest, it does the most good on a diesel, but now you have to consider the warranty issue.

You can really feel the boost in performance though.

I went with a SCMT since I can put the stock program back into the computer and Ford has nothing to prove other wise.

The gassers often will require preminum fuel and you get a small gain in power.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm assuming your buddy's truck is Cummins diesel powered - if not, the following won't apply. (Surely he's not towing with the 3.9L V-6 gasser! )

Is your buddy's truck an automatic or 5-speed manual? If it's a manual, the Edge EZ is a nice, safe towing box. It fattens up the torque curve substantially from probably 1500 to 2400 RPM - just where you need it for towing! It's good with an automatic as well, but you need to be careful - it makes enough extra torque to smoke the torque converter lockup clutch on a 47RE transmission that is tired or otherwise in marginal condition, or if he nails the throttle below 1700 RPM where transmission line pressure is low.

With the EZ and mild-to-medium-sized injectors, my truck is making 347.2 rear wheel horsepower and 761.7 lb-ft of torque, per a Dynojet 246C chassis dyno. Allowing 15% for driveline losses (manual transmission), that would be something like 408.5 BHP and 896.1 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel (245 BHP/505 lb-ft at the flywheel was the stock rating). At this power level, an upgraded clutch (South Bend Con OFE) was required, and I do have to watch EGTs. If I want more power, I'll need to upgrade the turbocharger (I already have a BHAF and 4" exhaust) to get more air to efficiently burn the additional fuel and lower EGTs.

Oh, and the 99 should handle the new Sunnybrook just fine in stock trim if it's healthy - it just depends how fast your buddy wants to go. The other guys are right - boost and EGT gauges are a must for towing. Since the fuel lift (transfer) pump is a weak link in the 1998.5-2002 24-valve Cummins, a fuel pressure gauge is a must since a failed lift pump can take out the Bosch VP-44 fuel injection pump which depends on excess (return) fuel flow for cooling and lubrication, and that's an expen$ive proposition!! If he has an automatic, I'd recommend a transmission temperature gauge as well. With Westach's dual combo gauges, he can get all 4 readouts in 2 gauges on an A-pillar mounting pod if he wishes.

On Edit: I'm going to try to link this topic down to the 5th Wheel and TT - Towing Issues forum where it will get more exposure.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins and auto. tran. When I bought that truck we had a 30 FT. Mallard TT that was some where around 7000 LBS. I had no trouble pulling it at all. We then traded for a 33 Ft. Sprinter with 2 slides. It is almost 10000 LBS. The 01 Ram was having a hard time with that much weight. I was ready to change the gears from the 3:55 that came in it to a 4:10. Then I started reading about computer chips on http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
so I looked om eBay and found a used Edge EZ and bought it for a little over $300. The same guy sold me a BHAF, which is a large open air filter, which lets more air into the engine so it runs cooler. Let me tell you that EZ made a world of difference. That truck came alive and did not have any trouble pulling that trailer. I did put gages on just before I went to the iRV2.com Rally in Nashville TN in 2003 because I was going to be going through some mountains to get there. I never did change the exhaust on that truck, but I did keep an eye on the EGTs and had to back off a little when it started to get too hot. I traded the 01 last Summer for the 2004.5 with the 325 horse 600 FT. LBS torque Cummins with the 4:10 gears and this truck does not have any problems pulling the 10000 LBS at all. It just likes Diesel a little more than my old truck.

Bill & Camillla
Thor Four Winds 31L Class C and Jeep Liberty
WA4SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #11
Toby, I had a 1999 Dodge with the Cummin's diesel and pulled a much heavier fifth wheel with two slides than your friends Sunnybrook with no problems, the only thing I would recommend would be to change the exhaust system from the 3" to 4" from the turbo back, your friend will notice a greater change in performance. Ed.S
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire W-24 , 2006 Jeep Commander Limited towed vehicle Newmar Kountry Klub 7284L, Pennsylvania State Directors
Edmund A Skibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cannot imagine that that truck, with 5.9L Cummins diesel, could not easily pull that trailer. MAybe add the bigger exhaust as some others suggest, but basically it has plenty of power.

Your friend would be wiser to worry about stopping it and keeping it going in a straight line. Save the money for the chip and instead get the brakes overhauled and new shocks installed. And maybe a new antisway device if he doesn't already have a good one.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
If he has a 99 with a 3:55 rear axle he will need all the help he can get. The power box will help but the auto trans will not handle it. Bottom line is he needs to trade it off for something that will handle the load better. I've been there and done that. The 99 CTD/auto with 3:55 is a slug and anything over 10k is a done deal. I've struggled over level ground with it not capable of maintaining overdrive and not being able to run over 55 in 3rd because of the RPM'S. Just a real mess trying to pull a load with. They just don't have the power.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
There is a certain amount of info missing from your post to be able to give perfect advice but here I go anyway.

The 1999 Dodge CTD will pull the 33 ft trailer. The question is: How fast do you want to pull the hills?

There are a bunch of different 'fueling boxes' that will give great towing power and might even increase your mileage if you drive sensibly. I have a Bully Dog Torque Dog. They can easily be removed when you have to take the truck in for warranty work.

If the power bug hits:
1. Add fueling box.
2. Add bigger, free flowing exhaust.
3. Upgrade clutch or automatic tranny to handle the power.
4. Add bigger injectors.
5. Add a bigger Turbo.
6. Add free flowing air filter.
7. Add exhaust brake to slow you down.

2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2004 Terry Quantum AX6 365flts
rtluft is offline   Reply With Quote