Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Performance Chip for Duramax 6.6L Diesel

Can anyone tell me of their personal experience with the various performance chips available from Banks and others? I am looking specifically to improve mpg on my 2008 Duramax 6.6L diesel. What is involved with putting them in, cost, expectations, etc., etc.....?
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthomann View Post
Can anyone tell me of their personal experience with the various performance chips available from Banks and others? I am looking specifically to improve mpg on my 2008 Duramax 6.6L diesel. What is involved with putting them in, cost, expectations, etc., etc.....?
pthomann, Call Jon at Brazels RV Performance!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #3

First, and this is important only if your truck is still under warranty. Any tuner/programmer/chip can and will void your warranty. You may end up fighting with GM a lot and still loose in the end.
Now, as to cost, 400 to 600 dollars depending on brand and features. Installation, all are now plug and play. Benefits, none that I can see. Adding HP/Torque to your package will eventually break the weakest link in the drive train. The only ral reason I can see to add one is to remove all of the emission junk found on newer diesels and use it to eliminate all the codes at startup. But that is just me. The only way to improve mileage is to lighten the load and tow at slower speeds.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Don, ....My experiences differ, although your perspective is valuable, mine differs ...

"......First, and this is important only if your truck is still under warranty. Any tuner/programmer/chip can and will void your warranty. ....."

It can but I have heard of only a few cases where this occurred as versus many, many where it was No issue at all. FORD worked on my truck for the full 100,000 mile warranty WITH a chip installed by me with no problems. I didn't hide it or remove it at service time. They asked me at Service about my experiences with the chip to further their own opinion about it.

"... Now, as to cost, 400 to 600 dollars depending on brand and features. Installation, all are now plug and play. Benefits, none that I can see. ......"

What?? Benefits are big in my (and many others) opinion. My truck runs on less diesel per 1000 mile average trip, with a few more ponies 'neath the hood. That is a BIG benefit, that I can see. I do not hotrod. My truck has run solid except for Ford's curious tranny the venerable 4R100, mine which had problems and was repaired by FORD at their cost, with chip installed.

".... Benefits, none that I can see. Adding HP/Torque to your package will eventually break the weakest link in the drive train. ....."

I have added HP/Torque to my pickup, and because I drive smoothly and calmly I have increased mileage and kept my family safer by being able to pass slower rigs going uphill along Grapevine Pass here in SoCal when necessary. I don't hotrod.

"..... The only way to improve mileage is to lighten the load and tow at slower speeds. ..."

No. There is at least one other way.
I have always towed a bit 'neath my legal limit, but have been able to slightly increase my speed while decreasing my temps.
But you DO have to be a smooth, calm driver. I hotrod in my hotrods, NOT in my tow rig.
(But ...... IF you did want to see a diesel pickup fly down the road with gusto, those chips do provide that ability. I admit I have tested that ability once or twice for a "blow back your hair ride YEEHAH."

you guys have a good day
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
First, and this is important only if your truck is still under warranty. Any tuner/programmer/chip can and will void your warranty.
I expect that you have not heard of the Magnuson Moss Act?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I expect that you have not heard of the Magnuson Moss Act?
I have and it will not work if your vehicle has been altered from the original. Plane and simple a tuner/programmer is altering your vehicle.