Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Performance chip in F350 Diesel

Greetings forum,

Got a question to ask and would like to know if anyone has had a problem with or rave reviews about putting a performance chip in their tow vehicle. I have a 2005 F-350 dually and have had several people tell me I should install a performance chip to get better gas mileage and power from my truck when towing my 5er. This is my first diesel I have ever owned as well as my first 5er (36ft Heartland Big Country) so I'm really behind the power curve (no pun intended) on this one. I currently get about 9ish miles to the gallon when pulling my 5er and about 13-14ish without it. With it being an after market device I am a little leery and not sure if it would really screw up my truck if I get it installed. On the other hand, I am very interested in getting better power and gas mileage. Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
2005 is a 6.0L Powerjoke. With the problems on this engine, I would never push it by adding a chip. Go over to Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #3

Leave it stock ... I'm pulling a 36 ft 5er getting 10 to 10.5 mpg at 62 to 65 mph with plenty of power and don't go by the onboard comp for mpg do it buy calc ... You'll be happy with the numbers and I'm avg 18 mpg empty at 72 mph
Chipping a 6.0 is hard on it
Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
While I did tune all my recent ford diesels, I always de-tuned them to tow...

there are some tow tunes that are usable, but you'll never recoup the cost of the tuner and tuning in mpg savings - more power and fun, yes, but not cost effective....
Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

I would never chip it but I use a Superchips tuner which has a heavy tow setting that really helps and won't mess up your engine.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Thanks guys for all the input. Didn't know about the Ford 6.0 till after I bought the truck so there isn't much I can do about it now. I'll stay away from the chip especially if it's going to hurt the engine. Haven't had any issues yet, but was trying to stay ahead of the game.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

Wanting more HP and torque is one thing, needing it is totally different. If I were contemplating an engine programmer, my first stop would be a reputable diesel shop to ask their advice.

There are several things one can do to the 6.0 Ford diesel to practically eliminate the inherent problems you have read about, do more reading on that subject and you can have a very good dependable engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Howdy,

Why not just add a Power Bank's System Kit not only are you adding H.P but your also adding M.P.G so the forget the chip and do it right all the way not half it...
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #9

I use an SCT tuner and custom tunes from a popular site on my 2006. When not towing the daily tune makes around town driving so much easier with an MPG gain.

For towing, the tune uses the default fuel parameters and mostly stock settings but does give me gains of 2-3 mpg. But I also have a 10k TT and not a fifth wheel.

I already had the ford tuner from my mustang so for me the $100 for the additional tunes was worth it.

I would say for towing, it's not worth the cash. If you use it as a daily driver, it makes a ton of difference in drivability.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Thanks guys for all the input. Didn't know about the Ford 6.0 till after I bought the truck so there isn't much I can do about it now. I'll stay away from the chip especially if it's going to hurt the engine. Haven't had any issues yet, but was trying to stay ahead of the game.
You have a good engine but need some mods to make it bulletproof:

1- IF you can delete the EGR cooler. This is what plugs up and blows the engine.

2- Replace the Ford Gold coolant with CAT ELC and make sure you flush it good. the ford coolant plugs up the EGR cooler and oil cooler.

3- Install a coolant filter to collect sand and gunk so your oil cooler doesn't get plugged up.

4- Get a scanGauge II to monitor your oil, water, trans temps and volts.

5- ALWAYS use Motorcraft filters because they have a patent and will filter ALL your oil and fuel.

6- If you want to increase millage put in a turbo back 5" exhaust system and a Banks intercooler. Both will help the motor and MPG.

7- If you want more power then go with the SuperChips tuner and the heavy tow. It will give you 48 more HP and 150 more FT pounds of torque without harming your engine. OR the SCT is a good tuner also.

I've spent a lot of hours on the Fordpowerstroke site and my F-350 6.0 has over 200,000 miles and going strong. 17 mpg empty and 11 mpg towing a 17,500 5th wheel. LOVE my truck.

Tags
diesel