Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
I agree that many pick more than they can comfortably tow. Did it myself. Don't shoot for 80-80% of truck capacity, 60-70% is easier on the truck and driver.
My (hopefully) useful input on this is why such a big trailer? If you are doing mostly long weekends and such a smaller box will be easier to learn on and require less truck. We are doing 3-4 day trips in a 19 footer with a 1500 chevy and getting 13mpg. Total cost to get in is less, traveling cost is less and it is easier to park. Yes it is a little cramped but there is a full bath, separate shower and enough room for 2.
We may or may not actually get into a trailer that large - that's just the largest I imagine we would ever get into. I'm using those weights to say that we would not be in anything larger than that. Realistically, I think we would be really comfortable in about a 26' trailer.

For me, the tricky part comes down to the trucks that are available around me. I can't really get a half ton for much cheaper than an old used hd truck. For the most part, any truck I find here, regardless of whether it's a half ton or a one ton is either going to have:
1) over 200k and be completely beat down
2) over 200k and way overpriced OR
3) about $10k more than the prices listed above - this truck will not be my daily driver so would like to get it as cheap as possible

Then there are the few random trucks that are a good balance, which are what I consider the trucks I listed above.

The only thing I can get in between the prices $14K and > $20k are Fords with either 6.0 or 6.4 PSDs and I don't want to get stuck with one of those and the possible headaches they can bring.

It's actually been kind of hard finding any half-ton worth looking at that isn't as much or more than a slightly older 3/4 ton or 1 ton.. at that point I would rather just be in a heavier truck that's more stable towing any trailer we chose.

For instance, I really like the ecoboost for towing because of the torque it generates, but, in the price range I'm looking at, I can't get one with less that 220k miles on it.

Anyway, you make a great point, and I have definitely been exploring that route as well, but I'm a bit stuck with what I have available. I would rather be able to go look at what I'm buying in person than start into a nationwide search.

In the end - it's not so much that I can't find half tons that are in my price range that would be nice trucks, but it's just that I know that there are also some bigger trucks that would offer a lot more margin that I can get for the same price. I think that's what's made it a bit tricky for me to look too much into half tons.
williet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #16

You should be able to get a 6.0 thats had the problem areas addressed for well under 20. Like 15ish.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
You should be able to get a 6.0 thats had the problem areas addressed for well under 20. Like 15ish.
I can get a 2007 duramax dually, which is known to be a pretty good year for the duramax for under 14k.. see above.. and side step any 6.0 headaches at all..

I can definitely find 6.0s for that price.. they are always going to be lower on my list, though, even if the previous owner claims to have fixed the problems properly..
Old 11-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by williet34 View Post
I can get a 2007 duramax dually, which is known to be a pretty good year for the duramax for under 14k.. see above...
I was referring to a loaded 4x4 drw with probably 100k less miles.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 AM   #19

Quote:
I was referring to a loaded 4x4 drw with probably 100k less miles.
Definitely haven't seen anything like that in my market.. would be willing to look into it though if one did come up. I'm still going to be pretty cautious about a 6.0 or a 6.4 though..

I have been keeping a very close eye on my local market for several months now. Again, I'm sure trucks like that are out there, they're just not in my market...
Old 11-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Definitely haven't seen anything like that in my market.. would be willing to look into it though if one did come up. I'm still going to be pretty cautious about a 6.0 or a 6.4 though..

I have been keeping a very close eye on my local market for several months now. Again, I'm sure trucks like that are out there, they're just not in my market...
Did you read my suggestions on a GM 6.0 gas?
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #21

A 6.0 can be a good buy if you know what youre looking at and how to buy. Parts are cheap and theyre pretty easy to work on. A 6.4 is never a safe buy. They wont blow a headgasket, the whole motor lets go. They arent even in the same league of problematic. A 6.0 can beat you up some if you pick wrong like any other motor. A 6.4 can bankrupt you.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Did you read my suggestions on a GM 6.0 gas?
Yes, I did - same boat as I mentioned before - it's all a matter of availability.

Apparently everyone in my area either really likes their gas 6.0 or they never get rid of them.

There just aren't many on the market and the ones that are have had roughly 250k miles or more.

It's a great suggestion, though. I've only heard really good things about the Chevy 6.0. In fact, I had even looked into the Express 3500 with the 6.0 as well.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #23

Quote:
A 6.0 can be a good buy if you know what youre looking at and how to buy. Parts are cheap and theyre pretty easy to work on. A 6.4 is never a safe buy. They wont blow a headgasket, the whole motor lets go. They arent even in the same league of problematic. A 6.0 can beat you up some if you pick wrong like any other motor. A 6.4 can bankrupt you.
I'm sure they can be, but I have some other good options listed above that I like too.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy a Ford 6.0, but there are more things that are known to be issues with those.. I know that they can be made to be reliable, but there are other trucks that are just more reliable. If I have other options, I'm going to explore them above the Ford 6.0 or a 6.4.

Right now, I'm looking at the trucks listed in the original post, which is what I was asking folks opinions about.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Yes, I did - same boat as I mentioned before - it's all a matter of availability.

Apparently everyone in my area either really likes their gas 6.0 or they never get rid of them.

There just aren't many on the market and the ones that are have had roughly 250k miles or more.

It's a great suggestion, though. I've only heard really good things about the Chevy 6.0. In fact, I had even looked into the Express 3500 with the 6.0 as well.
Geez, I dunno where you live but there are tons of them in fleets. Some fleets have low miles and change every 8-10 years,some drive them into the ground. 2500HD with a 6.0 gas is probably the most popular truck around here and many other locations.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #25

My experience with a dmax is that the motor is awesome. The transmission is awesome too. Theyre a real powerhouse and extremely reliable. The problem with the gm vehicles is the rest of the truck will literally fall apart around you. We had an 05 that was a shop truck where i worked, 2wd 2500hd. We actually had a hard time keeping rear tires on it. It got retired with just over 400k miles on it. Nothing in the hvac worked except for high heat, the mirrors fell off on the highway and got replaced with some napa crap, a couple of the windows didnt work, the wipers only worked on high, the dash was cracked, and the drivers seat was destroyed. That was with 400k hard terrible miles on it. It would still haul the mail in a hurry though. That would be my vote out of the 3 if its in decent shape.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #26

If you only plan to use this vehicle to tow your TT, and want the most bang for your buck, you hit it in your last comment: a 3500 series van. These vans are very capable, and can be had for thousands less than a comparable year and mileage pickup. Many are fleet or commercial vehicles that have been serviced regularly by the dealer.

You do not need a diesel dually to pull 8000 lb.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

It doesn't sound like you need one tomorrow. Why not consider something out of your area?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
If you only plan to use this vehicle to tow your TT, and want the most bang for your buck, you hit it in your last comment: a 3500 series van. These vans are very capable, and can be had for thousands less than a comparable year and mileage pickup. Many are fleet or commercial vehicles that have been serviced regularly by the dealer.

You do not need a diesel dually to pull 8000 lb.
For sure - I agree and know that a diesel isn't necessary for this weight. I have found a few vans, but they are roughly the same price as the DMax listed above, which brings me to the point that's making this a bit difficult for me. It's not that I haven't been able to find some other gas trucks/vans that are capable of handling the weight, but rather that they are roughly the same price and mileage as the DMax above.

I think the part I'm getting hung up on is that, for a similar price that I can get a lot of these gassers, I know that there's a DMax for the same price that's only a few years older with similar mileage.. I know the diesel is overkill, but I know I would always have plenty of margin and probably wouldn't have to consider another TV for a very long time unless the Chevy does just fall a part first.

The second reason the DMax seems so appealing to me right now is that it has an immaculate Carfax on it. It's a one owner vehicle that was a fleet/commercial truck so it has always had regular maintenance, which I can see on the Carfax.

The other problem I'm running into with the vans are that most of the ones I'm finding are cargo vans and not passenger vans. I'll be hauling a growing family for years with whatever I get.

Anyone have any other thoughts on the Ram with the 5.7 HEMI listed above? It's a really clean truck with low miles and it's newer.. Would the 5.7 be comparable to the 6.0 in the Chevy? That truck is rated to tow around 11K, according to Ram.

Thanks for all the great feedback

Tags
5.7 hemi, diesel, gas, tow, tow vehicle