RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What claims has BTBRV made that are bogus? Can you please put some examples behind your "clown" comment?

I will admit he is a bit long winded but I do not believe his statements are bogus.
Possibly. I really hate to give the guy the view counts and im really not that much of a gluton for punishment that i would want to put myself through that any more than i have already. Its going to take a really crappy day at the shop to get me to do this.

Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
I pulled a fifth wheel for over 100k km in a 2001 7.3 Super Duty-but with a 6 spd std. trans. It could pull a stock trailer with 15 head of cows with no effort. I only due speed limit, not always trying to be the first one. ford 6.0 and 6.4 are the Powerjokes that Ford sued International over. Nobody that has done the bullet proofing keeps there unit long enough to find out if it'll do another 100k miles- they're always trying to sell them- no mas. Best trucks I've had were Dodge 2003.5 with6 spd std. Do near 25mpg mt and low teens pulling 30 ft 5th wheel. Second best is current 2007 with 5.9 and built 48re automatic. Crappy mileage at 16 mt, and 10 ish pulling our heavy 29' 5th wheel. Cumins is the most simple and being 6 cylinder the toughest of the diesels. The biggest problem is they are encased in a pos Dodge body. I wouldn't entertain any thing other than 4wd, if you do any camping at all, with 2 wd you can get stuck on wet grass. If you simply travel from one paved parking lot to the next one on a paved road- 2wd will do nicely. Throw some snow into the mix and you'll thank your choice of 4wd. The newer trucks all get less mileage than those of yesteryear- when they are worked. For an overall best combo in gas- has to be GM 6.0 gas with 6 spd Allison auto- hands down. The Allison is the premium trans in the light duty pick up segment. Careful of newer GM- they are labelling their GM copy of an Allison as being a "Labelled Allison"

Old 12-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
I pulled a fifth wheel for over 100k km in a 2001 7.3 Super Duty-but with a 6 spd std. trans. It could pull a stock trailer with 15 head of cows with no effort. I only due speed limit, not always trying to be the first one. ford 6.0 and 6.4 are the Powerjokes that Ford sued International over. Nobody that has done the bullet proofing keeps there unit long enough to find out if it'll do another 100k miles- they're always trying to sell them- no mas. Best trucks I've had were Dodge 2003.5 with6 spd std. Do near 25mpg mt and low teens pulling 30 ft 5th wheel. Second best is current 2007 with 5.9 and built 48re automatic. Crappy mileage at 16 mt, and 10 ish pulling our heavy 29' 5th wheel. Cumins is the most simple and being 6 cylinder the toughest of the diesels. The biggest problem is they are encased in a pos Dodge body. I wouldn't entertain any thing other than 4wd, if you do any camping at all, with 2 wd you can get stuck on wet grass. If you simply travel from one paved parking lot to the next one on a paved road- 2wd will do nicely. Throw some snow into the mix and you'll thank your choice of 4wd. The newer trucks all get less mileage than those of yesteryear- when they are worked. For an overall best combo in gas- has to be GM 6.0 gas with 6 spd Allison auto- hands down. The Allison is the premium trans in the light duty pick up segment. Careful of newer GM- they are labelling their GM copy of an Allison as being a "Labelled Allison"
What model year did you see a GM gas 6.0 with an Allison trans in it and was it a 2500 or 3500HD? AFAIK all 6.0 gassers come with the 6 speed 6L90 which is not an Allison but it does work very well once the adaptives are learned.

I do know the 2020 Duramax comes with an "Allison branded" trans but from what I heard they should be OK IF they don't shudder. Most 8 speed+ trans appear to have shudder issues.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #60

Thor Four Winds and Chevrolet Spark

We, too, considered a truck and trailer but didn't want to drive a truck to family gatherings and around cities. So we decided on the Four Winds and the Spark. Have never regretted the decision and have often observed that it was a good one.
BobDye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
1. Spending 8-10k on "bulletproofing" a 6.0 is just stupid. Most shops will do headgaskets, head rebuild, studs, egr delete, and turbo rebuild for under 4k.

2. Btbrv is full of false information pedaled as fact. The guys an idiot.
Apparently, you didn't even read the "bulletproof" article I posted. EGR delete isn't even part of the fix, nor is a turbo rebuild or a head rebuild in many cases. What they do to resolve the actual problems is far more extensive.

Quote:
SO WHAT DOES IT TRULY MEAN - A BULLET PROOF 6.0L?
A Bullet Proof 6.0L starts with getting educated on the 5 main pattern failures that occur with this engine. These pattern failures are:

OEM Oil Cooler - The OEM oil cooler is a common source of failure. The small coolant pathways within the oil cooler can become plugged and this, in turn, can lead to failed EGR coolers as well as hot, thin engine oil. Our solution is the BulletProof Engine Oil Cooler. Learn more: BulletProof Engine Oil Cooler

OEM EGR Cooler - The OEM EGR Cooler is often blamed for being "the problem" on the 6.0L engine. While it is a common failure item, it often fails because of the plugged coolant pathways in the oil cooler. Understanding WHY this item fails is an important aspect to owning and operating one of these engines. Our solution is the BulletProof EGR Cooler. Learn more: BulletProof EGR Cooler

Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) Power Supply - The FICM is the electronic unit that controls the injectors on the 6.0L/VT365 engine. The FICM controls the injectors by sending 48V to the injectors at precisely the right time. Over time, however, the power supply built into this module can become tired and see the output voltage drop below the specified 48V. As this voltage drops, the performance of the injectors (and therefore the entire engine) will suffer. Upgrading this power supply with the Bullet Proof Diesel version is the only long-term path to reliability. Our solution is the BulletProof FICM Power Supply. Learn more: BulletProof FICM Module

Head Studs - The 6.0L engine utilizes ten head bolts per cylinder head to affix the head to the engine. To help minimize blown head gaskets, companies such as American Racing Products (ARP) have developed head studs to replace the factory head bolts. For various engineering reasons, a head stud allows for a higher clamping force than a similar bolt does, thereby increasing the reliability by reducing the chance of a head gasket failure or stretched head bolt. We have complete head gasket kits available for you. Learn more: Complete Head Gasket Kits from Bullet Proof Diesel

The OEM Water Pump - The OEM water pump comes equipped with a plastic impeller. The pattern failure observed on this water pump is that a crack can develop within the impeller, greatly decreasing the amount of engine coolant that the pump is able to move throughout the engine. Our solution is the BulletProof Water Pump. Learn more: BulletProof Water Pump

ISN'T AN EGR DELETE AND HEAD STUDS THE WAY TO MAKE A BULLET PROOF 6.0?
This is a very common misconception, but the answer is NO.

First consider the EGR delete. As discussed above, the EGR cooler often fails not onto its own... that is to say, it doesn't fail "just because", rather, it fails because something else causes it to fail. That something (among other factors) is the heat that builds up within the EGR cooler because there is little to no coolant flow through the upstream oil cooler and therefore, no flow of coolant through the EGR cooler (downstream of the oil cooler). So the question really becomes - if the EGR cooler doesn't fail by itself, then what problem are you masking or ignoring by simply deleting the EGR cooler? Said another way, the failure of the EGR cooler is a sign, a symptom of other, bigger problems that need to be addressed, not ignored.

Another factor to consider with the EGR delete is that they are illegal in all fifty states. The EGR cooler is designed as part of the emissions system on the 6.0L engine. Deleting any portion of the emissions systems on a vehicle is strictly against federal law in most cases. Learn more here.

Again, a 6.0L is not a "Bullet Proof Diesel" engine unless four of the five pattern failures are addressed with genuine Bullet Proof Diesel parts. This includes the problematic OEM oil cooler as well as the FICM module, EGR cooler and water pump. Keep in mind that some businesses will promote the "Upgraded Oil Cooler" in a way to make it sound like the problems have been addressed with the original design. Click this link to learn more about the so-called "Upgraded Oil Cooler" and judge for yourself.
And I see you decided to retract, or at least radically back off, your comments about BTBRV, instead of providing examples as tuffr2 suggested. I realize he does seem to bother some people a lot because his advice is apparently radically contrary to their own personal opinions. However, he isn't saying or even claiming anything which isn't echoed by many knowledgeable industry experts. He also makes it quite clear what he states is his own personal opinions, and to be sure to do your own research instead of merely taking his word for anything.
Paul Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Foster View Post
I realize he does seem to bother some people a lot because his advice is apparently radically contrary to their own personal opinions.
Or the guy is a complete idiot and is nothing but a shill who uses his youtube subs/views to line his pockets with sponsored "honest" reviews and free stuff which he keeps or sells for an "honest review".
Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Foster View Post
Apparently, you didn't even read the "bulletproof" article I posted. EGR delete isn't even part of the fix, nor is a turbo rebuild or a head rebuild in many cases. What they do to resolve the actual problems is far more extensive.

And I see you decided to retract, or at least radically back off, your comments about BTBRV, instead of providing examples as tuffr2 suggested. I realize he does seem to bother some people a lot because his advice is apparently radically contrary to their own personal opinions. However, he isn't saying or even claiming anything which isn't echoed by many knowledgeable industry experts. He also makes it quite clear what he states is his own personal opinions, and to be sure to do your own research instead of merely taking his word for anything.
Your definately confused on that second point, i have not backed off that dimwit. One example i can remember was comparing different price point 5th wheels. He said they were the same, even though the more expensive one had taller frame rails, heavier axles, higher load range tires, more storage, and better furniture and cabinets, he said they were the same. Right. The guys a clown.

I did read the article that bpd put out promoting their own products. Their oil cooler is 2000$ last i checked, their water pump is 400. I can get the water pump for well under 100$. I dont remember how much their other parts are. A ford oil cooler (which is more than adequate if you dont run coolant with silicates that will clog it) is 400$ and labor for install would be included in having studs done since it has to come apart anyway. Ficm (which always has an underlying cause for going bad, bad batteries, charging system, heat etc) is a 400$ repair with a lifetime gaurantee on the work. Oh, and the heads and block 1000% have to be checked for straightness and made straight if they arent, which involves rebuilding and remachining the heads. If the heads arent going to a machine shop that mechanic wouldnt get the work.

Im seeing alot of cp3 failure class action lawsuits against gm going across my facebook feed lately and the prices people are claiming to have paid is just under 10k. Thats about double what it should cost to bulletproof a 6.0.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
By the time the 1999 7.3 was built the days of 180 HP were history. I had a 96 F250 7.3. 5 speed manual crew cab 4x4. The truck wasn't fast however it would pull 12K like it was 1K. Torque is the number you want to pay attention to. I have a 2002 F-350 7.3, 6 speed manual,4:10 gears,crewcab dually 4x4. Cruises all day long with a 36 foot HRC Imperial 5th wheel at 75 MPH getting 15 MPG. We had it dynoed once. Bone stock. Factory rating 300 HP. Dyno numbers were 318 HP. Torque was 566. Not much compared to the new trucks, but ample to do the job! Old Fords suffered automatic transmission issues. Manuals run forever. I am leery of any Ford diesel built after the demise of the 7.3, except for ones built in the last couple of years. Dodge drivetrains are solid. The truck not so much. I would rather have a truck that continues to run even if the accessories and trim are poor. Chevy builds a good powertrain, however the bodies can rust badly if not well maintained. Our 2002 F-350 is still getting it done 18 years later. Still getting 20 MPG empty and 15 loaded. The only repair was a failed fuel sending unit 10 years ago. Lots of maintenance and TLC!
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #65

Quote:
Your definately confused on that second point, i have not backed off that dimwit. One example i can remember was comparing different price point 5th wheels. He said they were the same, even though the more expensive one had taller frame rails, heavier axles, higher load range tires, more storage, and better furniture and cabinets, he said they were the same. Right. The guys a clown.
He was talking in general terms about production fifth wheels. He also specifically claimed that "better furniture and cabinets" was a large part of the difference between the entry models and the higher priced ones, as well as specifically mentioning the tire differences. He also specifically mentioned he was distinguishing between the models that have bigger frame rails and those which do not as a major difference between lower priced models and higher priced ones.

As far as the heavier axles are concerned, that is really a matter of the GVWR. Higher end production units are typically heavier so they obviously need heavier axles. When it is not a matter of GVWR, he even specifically mentions this difference in some models in the second video.

Are you sure you watched the videos instead of repeating a comment someone else made?

Quote:
I did read the article that bpd put out promoting their own products. Their oil cooler is 2000$ last i checked, their water pump is 400. I can get the water pump for well under 100$.
And they will have the very same design problems and plastic impellers as the ones that now fail. The bottom line is that Ford miserably screwed up with this engine, just as they did with all their post-2000 engines until 2012. That they will all need costly repairs at some point.

You even claimed that EGR delete was the way to solve part of the problem when they made it quite clear that not only was it illegal to do so, that it didn't fix what was really wrong at all.

You obviously don't have to purchase their parts, even though tens thousands of people have done so with no significant problems afterwards. These pitfalls are quite well known in the industry. Yet you apparently think they are quite different.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Or the guy is a complete idiot and is nothing but a shill who uses his youtube subs/views to line his pockets with sponsored "honest" reviews and free stuff which he keeps or sells for an "honest review".
It is very easy to say anything about someone who is not here to respond, and apparently the very same rules that would not allow you to make that comment about a member of this forum don't apply to people who aren't here for some odd reason.

BTBRV is also quite clear who sponsors him, which is an extremely few number of companies which he typically doesn't even mention in his videos except for the beginning scenes. He also makes it perfectly clear whether he made a purchase of the item he is reviewing or it was given to him to review. He also quite frequently makes negative comments about the item and even goes back to the vendor to try to get it corrected, which they have done in the past.

So go right ahead and try to come up with a few specific examples which show he is a "complete idiot", as tuffr2 suggested above.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #67

His opinions arw like anyone else. Everyone has one. I perfer a Big Block 8.1L or 7.4L and a tall.rear gear 4.10 or higher. Many want a diesel to haul heavy. I choose gas at let it roar a little. As long as you get job done and there safely who cares. Some things work better for others. And everyone wants to think there repair was best way to do it as it was there money spent. Relax!
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #68

The only gas engine that had the Alison trans mated to it was the 8.1 big block in some 1 ton pickup trucks and Workhorse Chassis until GM discontinued the big block. I believe that Duramax equipped Chevy and GMC 3500 Vans had 4L80E transmissions until 2008 or 2009
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #69

Yes thr 8.1L in my topkick has the 6 speed allison behind it. With 4.88 rear gears its a great heavy RV hauler

The vans ans suburbans had the 4L85E and updated 4L80.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
We mostly tow with our diesel powered dually, however we sometimes tow with our F-150 supercrew 4x4. The F-150 is set up for towing with 3:73 gears, and the tow package, however it does not compare with the 7.3 PS, 6 speed manual, and 4:10 gears. The big truck stops shorter, moves out faster, has better wind resistance, and the weight of the truck adds stability.

gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.7 hemi, diesel, gas, tow, tow vehicle