Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #71

No, i dont need that moron to give me my opinion, thanks.

Oh, and my 200$ water pump has a billet impeller wheel, pretty similar to the 400$ bpd one. The 100$ ones usually also have a steel impellar wheel too but i opted for the ford new housing instead of a remanned deal.

Im going to suggest you get your facts straight before going off half cocked. I also dont care if removing egr is illegal or not, its terrible for the motor. Im not going to destroy my motor because it makes some tree hugger feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Ill also add that ford didnt screw up anything with the 6.0 or 6.4.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking There is no such thing when it comes to an RV

[QUOTE=williet34;5051249]Hi,

I’m trying to get into RVing on a budget, within reason.
ea142003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Even fixing everything yourself is costly. Its a labor of love, for me anyway. That doesnt mean I dont feel the pain in my wallet, and my sanity.
ea142003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
8-10k failure with a 6.0 is just not knowing any better. A 6.4 on the other hand, thats what youll hope for. Do not bother with a 6.4. A 6.0 is about the cheapest diesel you can work on and they aren't hard to work on either.
Common rail is nice for the benefits that it offers, but any repairs on any common rail motor are going to be expensive. If an injector hangs open with a cr motor, your bottom end is finished. Check out commercial truck trader, even if you have to make a drive you shouldnt have much trouble finding a gas 1 ton truck.

Is this btbrv clown week on this forum? Ive never seen so many of his videos posted on this forum. We're usually way better than that here.

I would strongly disagree that the 6.0 is both least expensive and easiest to work on. If you want reliable power and an engine that you can get OEM parts cheaper than after market parts. It is also easy to work on as a in line 6 Cummins 5.9 both common rail or 24 valve.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Foster View Post
It is very easy to say anything about someone who is not here to respond, and apparently the very same rules that would not allow you to make that comment about a member of this forum don't apply to people who aren't here for some odd reason.

BTBRV is also quite clear who sponsors him, which is an extremely few number of companies which he typically doesn't even mention in his videos except for the beginning scenes. He also makes it perfectly clear whether he made a purchase of the item he is reviewing or it was given to him to review. He also quite frequently makes negative comments about the item and even goes back to the vendor to try to get it corrected, which they have done in the past.

So go right ahead and try to come up with a few specific examples which show he is a "complete idiot", as tuffr2 suggested above.
Are you related to him or just in charge of his fan club?
The guy is nothing but a shill
Zero clue of what he is talking about. People that want to learn about either would be wiser to go to a channel where the person actually knows something about the subject.
If you want to learn about rv's, at least look at somebody that camps. If you want to know about trucks you should at least check out a guy who does more then drive in circles.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #76

Personal attacks

I come to this forrum to read and post information not to read personal attacks. When I see the word " morron" it reminds me of the discourse that goes on every day in other places in public. We should practice civil behavior as it relates to our conversation.
FredV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I would strongly disagree that the 6.0 is both least expensive and easiest to work on. If you want reliable power and an engine that you can get OEM parts cheaper than after market parts. It is also easy to work on as a in line 6 Cummins 5.9 both common rail or 24 valve.
I honestly dont see where the dodges with the cummins are any easier to work on than any other vehicle or motor. I volunteered to change fuel filters on one 4500 series dodge just for something to do. That crap wont happen again. I have no idea where the turbo is on the dodge, and all the accessories are still on the front of the motor if anything needs swapped out. Im definately not saying its harder on the dodge, but i sure dont see where its easier.

Except the fuel filters on a 4500, im not getting suckered into that again.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #78

Thanks to everyone for all the info so far.

I'm still weighing my options.. and have still been looking around a bit.

I have found a 1994 F350 with the turbo diesel (not the Powerstroke) that I'm fond of. It has 200K miles and looks to be in pretty good shape for it's age. It's a crew cab dually. I have always been on the lookout for the 94 turbo diesel option because, although I know it's not going to be a speed demon, it's a nice balance between the reliability and cheap to repair 7.3 idi and is already setup with a turbo.. They are asking $3800 for it, but there's room to negotiate.

I've also found a 2013 F150 Supercrew with a 3.5 Ecoboost. It has 250K miles on it, but spent most of it's life in a commercial fleet. It looks like it's in excellent shape and has been serviced very well. It's a 4x4 also. They're asking $10K for it.

I know these are two very different trucks, but each has it's own perks. I feel the old F350 will be cheap to maintain and get decent mileage, but most importantly will handle a lot of weight without much fuss thanks to it's weight and dual rear wheels. I can also get into it very cheap, which I like. I know that it will be loud and ride like a "truck".

On the other hand, I have been very fascinated by the 3.5 eco due to the torque it generates at a much lower rpm, like a diesel. It has a lot of miles, but these engines seem to be holding up as good as any other gas engines. I know that this truck will be much more comfy to ride in, especially when not towing, but I know these are light trucks and can get thrown around quite a bit when an 18 wheeler passes or something... I know that it will get pretty low mileage towing, but seems like it will get much better than an old big block when not towing, which could help offset the towing mpg a bit.

Any thoughts on either of these options?
williet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredV View Post
I come to this forrum to read and post information not to read personal attacks. When I see the word " morron" it reminds me of the discourse that goes on every day in other places in public. We should practice civil behavior as it relates to our conversation.
He isnt attacking anyone on the forum. The only time I seen it mentioned was in reference to a guy on who shills on a youtube channel. To be honest I can understand where he could come away with that impression of the guy.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #80

I would check out the ford truck enthusiast forums for information on either of those. Id be more inclined to get the 93, but i dont know how parts availability is for the idi or for a 93 in general. What area are you in?
Old 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I would check out the ford truck enthusiast forums for information on either of those. Id be more inclined to get the 93, but i dont know how parts availability is for the idi or for a 93 in general. What area are you in?
The Ford Enthusiasts board is where I've gotten most of the info I've read about the IDI.. it's talked about quite a bit.

I've done a little bit of research on parts, etc. and it seems pretty easy to find parts for this truck, at least online it it. Parts are really cheap for these trucks too, which is one of the reasons I'm drawn to them.

There still seems to be quite a few people with IDIs along with companies making parts and modifications for them.

Since I work from home, I won't be putting a ton of miles on the truck I end up.. Realistically, if I could find something cheap that would get me about 50K more miles, then I would be pretty happy. I had my last truck for 4 years and only put about 30K miles on it..
williet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by williet34 View Post
The Ford Enthusiasts board is where I've gotten most of the info I've read about the IDI.. it's talked about quite a bit.

I've done a little bit of research on parts, etc. and it seems pretty easy to find parts for this truck, at least online it it. Parts are really cheap for these trucks too, which is one of the reasons I'm drawn to them.

There still seems to be quite a few people with IDIs along with companies making parts and modifications for them.

Since I work from home, I won't be putting a ton of miles on the truck I end up.. Realistically, if I could find something cheap that would get me about 50K more miles, then I would be pretty happy. I had my last truck for 4 years and only put about 30K miles on it..
Something to think about, depending on how far youll be dragging a camper is how hard will it be to get parts if you break down on the road. Im trying to find it now, but i saw an f350 about this vintage with about 1/4 the miles for not much more money local to me.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by williet34 View Post

How much are you looking to spend when you say "cheap"?

My tow pig is a 2000 f350 7.3 and its pretty much what I think of when somebody wants reliable and affordable.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
How much are you looking to spend when you say "cheap"?

My tow pig is a 2000 f350 7.3 and its pretty much what I think of when somebody wants reliable and affordable.
Have you priced a nice 7.3 lately? Ive seen nice 7.3s with asking prices near what a 6.7 can be bought for. Now, the conditions arent the same, but there are alot of 7.3 owners that think theyre sitting on a gold mine.

In western pa there are nice mid 90s powerstroke trucks over 20k. That would be something like an f350 screw 4x4 with xlt package with under 100k and not rotted out.

Tags
5.7 hemi, diesel, gas, tow, tow vehicle