Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #15

If everyone re-reads the original post, they state weighing 8900 loaded with passengers, fuel etc. My 2009 F350 diesel 4x4 CC SRW short box weighs 8,700 full of fuel, hitch tool box, etc and NO passengers. It's a little heavier than the average as I have a Renegade grill guard on the front and full length stainless steel running boards, so I suppose that could add 300 lbs quite easily.

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #16

Apples and oranges, but my 450 weighs 10400 ready for long trips...
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Yes, provided you have that much weight rating available on the rear axle,(RAWR),
Does it seem odd that the GVWR would be more than the RAWR would practically allow (for a pickup where additional weight would likely be added) ?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
8900# sounds about right for a Ford ccsb 4x4 diesel with passengers and hitch, Dodges are about 500# less and GM about 1000# less. These pickups weigh a lot more than people realize, This is why the tow ratings that are stated are so inflated to create the image of being better than the competition, where in reality, to stay within the GVWR and RAWR they all can tow a 5er within a couple hundred # of each other.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #19

Very true Frank. Most folks don't see it that way. I like my Fords and it sounds impressive to have "best in class GVW" but in reality if it weighs more, it didn't gain you anything.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Very true Trent, I am partial to GM, but you notice that I didn't slam any brand, the new trucks are very close on power and tow capacity, including payloads, so it is up to the individual which brand they like. You would be surprised at how many snowbirds are towing big 5ers with 3/4 ton and 1 ton SWR trucks, and say, well it is within the towing capacity, my salesman that sold me the truck said so. These are the same people whose truck is nose high in the air and tires half flat and they won't listen when you try to tell them that they are dangerously overloaded.
Frank
Old 04-15-2015, 10:48 PM   #21

The weight police won't like us. Loaded for a trip we are 5280 on the steer (6k rated), 7040 on the drive (7k rated) 12,320 gross (11.4 rated), 23,500 total (23.5 GCWR) So we are sightly over the GVW of our truck. Im not concerned as its not excessive, and the axles aren't over capacity as the rear is rated for 9k+ in other applications. I have a new set of Toyo tires rated at 4k a piece to be installed in the next week or two. We bought the F350 figuring it would handle any coach we would want. Wife and I sold our Copper Canyon bunkhouse and found this Mobile Suites that we both liked. It weighs more dry than the spec sheet indicated. We weekend camp and don't carry water or everything we own in it. If we did, I'd find a dually. We are in our late 30's and our truck and trailer are aid for, so we will run it a while. If we find we want to take longer trips and pack more belongings then we will look at a dually.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
The weight police won't like us. Loaded for a trip we are... 12,320 gross (11.4 rated), ...
So you're almost 1,000 pounds overloaded over the GVWR of your tow vehicle, and that doesn't concern you? Don't blame the weight police, blame yourself.

Quote:
If we find we want to take longer trips and pack more belongings then we will look at a dually.
Whether one mile from home or 2,500 miles from home, you can have an accident that will ruin your life, plus it can ruin the lives of anyone on the road with you. Your short trips rationale is not a good reason to travel in a severely overloaded rig. And yes, 1,000 pounds is severely overloaded. To understand how much is 1,000 pounds, go to home Depot and buy 1,000 pounds worth of play sand or other cheap weight. When you get home, carry that weight up one flight of stairs. Then come back and explain how 1,000 pounds overloaded can be ignored.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #23

I think all the posts after #3 are superfluous. Including this one.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #24

Smokey, I have followed you since I was a kid in college 15+ years ago when everyone frequented Jason's first Powerstroke diesel page. I have read your numerous posts all these years and have always respected your opinion....and I still do. That being said, here are afew links to various conversations where you admit to doing just what I have done.

Here you state you pulled your 5th wheel with your F150 and was overloaded 830lbs. As a wise man once told me, it doesn't make any difference the length of the trip....overloaded is overloaded.

Trip Report - Overloaded towing a 25 fifth wheel with an F-150 EcoBoost

Here you tell about towing with your F250 for 200K mi, mostly trouble free towing miles....overweight by several hundred pounds.

Buying an older 7.3 Diesel Truck?

Here you tell about how you tow a light weight trailer with your F150, and with you, darling wife, hound dogs, 6 pack of soda, box of Geritol, and $8.72 worth of change in the cupholder......you are over the GVW of your tow vehicle.

Should I get the ecoboost or F250? - Page 9 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Here is a post telling a party about towing with their Suburban (good advice too...not arguing that) However you admit to pulling your camper all over the US for many years....again overloaded.

"We have a Keystone Sprinter 25RKS (25' 5er with rear kitchen and a big slide) parked outside our back door right now. We bought it new in 2000. Wonderful RV trailer that we've drug all over the USA. But it weighs 8,000 pounds when wet and loaded, and it overloaded our F-250 tow vehicle. So it's parked now"

Suburban beast towing question

Now, never in any of the above posts do you indicate that what you're doing was right....and neither do I. I am going to run what I have, just as you did...and get by just fine. until I have cash to upgrade. Yes the new coach is heavier than I expected, it's dry weight is a good 1,000 lbs over all the specs I could find online. I did all the homework I could before purchasing it. Also we loaded around 1,200 lbs of "Stuff" inside....as others have said, it adds up quick. Now I could remove some extra weight by removing items we don't use, I could lighten the truck up by removing the grill guard, tools, and running boards....if I did that, I could leave the wife and kids at home, as they couldn't climb in without running boards! (LOL!) I didn't see anyone telling you that you were putting your life and everyone else's life in jeopardy as you have indicated I will. I have never seen anyone say "damn you're not concerned about running overloaded....you better buy a dually."

Now all this being said I hope you understand, I'm not upset and I still respect the advice that you give.....it's spot on. but by the same token, I don't appreciate being called out that what I am doing is so wrong that I'm going to Hell and Damn Nation for it.......from a man who has done the same for many years. It's kind of like the old saying...."Don't preach to me how good of a Christian you are....show me." If my comments here have offended anyone, I apologize...it's not my intent. If my comments get me kicked our of this forum, I again apologize. I do enjoy reading posts and learning from others and maybe helping someone too.

Sincerely

Trent
Old 04-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #25

Trent,
Not sure I should comment about your post above, but I sure gotta admire your memory and ability to find old posts.
Thanks,
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Trent,
Not sure I should comment about your post above, but I sure gotta admire your memory and ability to find old posts.
Thanks,
Joe
I thought I had remembered this correctly from years past, and a quick google search provided the information I needed. I'm not one to make uneducated comments and wanted to be sure I had my facts straight before opening my mouth. Again this is NOT to place blame on anyone...neither one of us is right as far as that goes....I'm just not going to sit back and take it when the one making the statements has done or is doing the same thing.

It's like being pregnant.....you either are, OR...you're not!

I certainly don't want this to turn into a pissing match, I made my point...that was all I needed to do.

Trent
Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
I certainly don't want this to turn into a pissing match, I made my point...that was all I needed to do.

Trent

Nice post, well said and professional I thought. I think most everyone towing an RV has been overweight at some point.

While I've towed a lot of trailers I've only been towing a 5th wheel for a little over two years. I knew better than to buy a 40 foot plus toy hauler but also thought my F250 was well within the weight limits of the 35 foot toy hauler I bought until I had it weighed. I was over the rear axle weight, which has been discussed repeatedly by many as an issue with the F250/2500 trucks. The more I thought about it the more uncomfortable I became. Wife, two young kids, and all that weight right behind them on two tires and knowing I was overweight. Did I really think it was absolutely dangerous per say, not really. But, I knew better and knew it wasn't the safest course of action also. I'd never want to second guess myself if the "what if" scenarios ever happened which also included being sued by someone else.

So, I informed and educated myself by reading many forums and looking at tow data on the trucks. I traded to a DRW, got my Class A license, and absolutely love the new truck. I also know I've done everything I can to provide my family a safer towing environment while also decreasing my liability by not being overweight.

I think all of these arguments or discussions about being "weight police" are just people trying to educate others and help them make the best informed decision to begin with. Best informed usually means the least costly in the long term I think also. No one is really trying to be the "weight police" or spread unnecessary fear. They are just trying to give the best advice which is, or should be, what's also within the legal limits of the tow vehicle recommended. I'm still learning but for those people asking advice, especially new people, they deserve the best advice which is always what will keep them within the limits of the law. I'm definitely not here to judge, I've learned the hard way which is the costly way of trading tow vehicles. If I'd known four years ago what I know now I'd never bought an F250. I could have bought an F350 SRW or even a DRW for within a few hundred dollars difference but I didn't know any better. The people coming here for advice want to know better and are here for the best advice which is great.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
C130,
Well said. To add a little something to your post, For all those that already have their units and don't believe what the "weight police " are saying, run your unit on a set of CAT scales and then look at your door sticker. Then you will know what is going on.
Frank

Tags
weight