Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #1

I am trying to find the pin weight on a 5th wheel RV. It is a 1997, 28 foot Wilderness Mfg. by Fleetwood.

I know how to find info on current modles, but not older ones.

If anyone knows the pin weight, or knows how I can find it, I sure could use some help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #2

I am trying to find the pin weight on a 5th wheel RV. It is a 1997, 28 foot Wilderness Mfg. by Fleetwood.

I know how to find info on current modles, but not older ones.

If anyone knows the pin weight, or knows how I can find it, I sure could use some help.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 1998 Wilderness 28' model 275T that has a pin weight of 1,190 #. The following is from my 1998 Wilderness brochure:

27-5J 1,070#

27-5N 1,030#

These are dry pin weights. You would need to add about 20-25% to account for whatever you pack into the trailer. I have to believe that the pin weight would not have changed all that much from `97 to `98.

Oh, and welcome aboard to irv2.com. Lots of good info here. Hope to keep hearing from ya.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #4

Published "Pin Weights" are approximate only. They can be out by +- 20%. Only way to know for sure is weigh it yourself.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally they put an info sheet inside of the kitchen cabinet also. I realize that with a trailer that old it may not be there, however it is worth looking for. As others have stated the numbers listed are for a stripped down base model so you will actually have to ge ot a scale ans weigh the truck trailer combo and separate to get the true hitch weight as loaded.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you need a number for a thumbnail calculation, 20% of the 5th wheel's GVWR is normally fairly conservative for a loaded RV.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #7

Assuming the mfgr published pin weights are representative; most all calculate to between 14%(Titanium), and 18% (HR Presidential, Hitchhiker, etc). I did not find even one mfgr that calculated to 20% of the 5er weight. This is advertised weights only. We just bought a Grand Junction 5er, and the advertised weights amazingly enough, were accurate. I weighed both truck and new 5er on a CAT scale prior to purchase. Actually weighing your rig on a CAT scale is the best $8 you'll spend.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Please note where the basement storage is located on most 5th wheels, as well as propane tanks, 2nd A/C units, etc. Advertised dry pin weights don't reflect the fact that a lot of the incremental weight of an actual, loaded 5th wheel is being placed well forward of the axles where it severely impacts pin weight.

The actual laden pin weight of our previous Jayco Designer 3610RLTS was 20% of the total laden weight. I've seen other scale results for other laden 5th wheels that produce pin weights as high as 25% and some as low as 16% - that's why I said that 20% of GVWR is not a bad number to use for a thumbnail calculation.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 AM   #9

To add to Rusty's comments, the following weight was added to my 5th wheel after delivery from the factory:
propane - 80 lbs,
batteries - 120 lbs,
generator - 160 lbs,
hitch - 190 lbs.

Much of the weight of the above items end up on the pin. The 190 lb hitch comes off the truck's usefull load right from the get-go. See the link in my sig on RV wiehgts for more details.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #10

Ken, You can only get 64lbs. of LPG into two 40 pound tanks due to the OPD valve that closes at 80% of capacity. The hitch does not add to the pin weight, it adds to the truck weight. There are so many variables and add-ons that I just used the published figures, otherwise the calculations were useless. The CAT scales are guranteed accurate, and super easy to use. Speaking of hitches, our new 5er has the mor-ryde axles,and pin box, it really makes a difference in towing!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 190 lb hitch comes off the truck's usefull load right from the get-go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 80# propane was mentioned as an exmaple of additional weights that are not obvious. I did not intend the list to be a critical analysis.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Appears to me that anything added to the truck bed (including the hitch) adds to the pin weight of the trailer. While not necessarily a part of the trailer weight when unhitched it becomes relative when the rig is hooked up. I agree with Ken's comment.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #13

I would hate to guess how much extra pin weight is added by the full wardrobe in the closet out over the pin, the few we change out after a trip are hard enough to carry, much less everything in that closet

2000 Ford Crew Cab Dually
Offroadtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:17 PM   #14

Howdy, I'm new to this 5er stuff. I pulled the 29'er home from Santee, about 100 miles last summer, but haven't taken it anywhere. It was supposed to be for son-in-law to live in. We've since had a 'falling out' and the inside was TRASHED. Rotting food in fridge, crap on the walls, fleas etc. Sorry. When I take this rig to get it weighed, how do I get just the 'pin weight'? Are the people working at the scales tolerant of us RVers?