RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Pin weights

I know that this will probably open a can of worms, but it's a question I need answered. I have a 2019, 2500 Duramax, longbed, LTZ, I know what the max load the truck is rated for, but I know some of you have a heavier pin weight or know someone who does and I would like to know how much the truck can handle comfortably.

Saltwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman View Post
I know that this will probably open a can of worms, but it's a question I need answered. I have a 2019, 2500 Duramax, longbed, LTZ, I know what the max load the truck is rated for, but I know some of you have a heavier pin weight or know someone who does and I would like to know how much the truck can handle comfortably.
Your question is unclear to me. Are you asking how much you can haul even IF you're over maximum rear axle and /or GVWR?

The engine and trans could pull a house, the chassis is what keeps it in control.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #3

RAWR - actual rear axle weight = what you can legally haul.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

Used to own basically the same truck. Our fiver loaded ready to travel put the truck 1300 pounds over its GVWR. Never again. It was the scariest time I ever towed. Sadly we had to put up with it for 2 years before we upgraded to a dually. Same trailer was night and day different towing experience.
Somply put DO NOT think about or consider towing over your trucks GVWR.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

3/4 ton diesel trucks use a lot of their on-paper carrying capability just hauling the heavy diesel engine.

OTOH, many newer 3/4 ton trucks are essentially 1 ton trucks with a soft suspension and smaller tires. They say GVWR 10,000 lb on the door sticker so people in states that use GVWR for registration can pay less for their tags.

What are you contemplating hauling?
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwaterman View Post

Well looked back at some of your other post, and what you are looking at is a stretch for your 2500.

2018 Crossroads Cameo 3801 RK
Forest River Sandpiper 377FLIK

Both of the above units are 16K GVWR or just a tat under.

Even going by your rear axle rating you will not be happy.
Get your TV ready to tow with hitch and all stuff, and passengers. Then go to the scales and weigh each axle. Then take the rating of the rear axle less the actual weight on the axle and that is how much pin you can carry.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post

YEP^^^^^

Check what the tires are rated for MAX Load @ Max PSI

2019 2500....gonna be real close with a 14K GVWR 5th wheel (3000-3100 wet pin)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Legally speaking you can only haul what your door sticker says. I am assuming by the jist of your post you are contemplating exceeding that weight limit. If you are going to do so then you should at least add that magical one extra spring or install air bags. Either of these enhancements will in essence, while not legally speaking give you the same capibility as a one ton SRW of the same vintage, providing that indeed, as is usually the case, all the other components are the same. Proceede with caution, as around here the can is full of snakes not worms
Old 12-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
^ again, this.

Just keep in mind that there is a little bit of wiggle room there based on the driver. If you're not concerned with "legal" and are more concerned with actual vehicle ability, you can likely even go 10% above that. That assumes you as the driver, can handle it. If you've never towed before, don't even consider it. Stay 20% under those ratings.

Bottom line: Axle and tire ratings matter, GVWR doesn't.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
^ again, this.

Just keep in mind that there is a little bit of wiggle room there based on the driver. If you're not concerned with "legal" and are more concerned with actual vehicle ability, you can likely even go 10% above that. That assumes you as the driver, can handle it. If you've never towed before, don't even consider it. Stay 20% under those ratings.

Bottom line: Axle and tire ratings matter, GVWR doesn't.

I have a 2012 2500 duramax. I tow a TH travel trailer with a pin weight of of 1400lbs. Before the TH, we had a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 1800-1900lb pounds. I put a super spring on the truck when we 1st got it, so basically a 3500 but not legally. The 5th wheel, I had 0 squat and could barely feel it back there. I would have comfortably been ok with a pin weight around 2500lb.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

Everybody claiming legalities! Please show me the, heck ANY regulation in the USA that says a private vehicle for private use has some sort of legal regulations against towing overloaded. THERE AINT NONE FOLKS!
BC Canada is the only state/province that I have ever heard of that will stop andweigh private vehicles.
Is it dumb to tow overloaded? Heck yes! Illegal? Nope!
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

Well, I would look at the numbers for safety, but especially to cover my ass in case I was involved in an accident. Strong attorney and insurance company could really come after you if you were towing over the limits of the vehicle and you hurt someone.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Everybody claiming legalities! Please show me the, heck ANY regulation in the USA that says a private vehicle for private use has some sort of legal regulations against towing overloaded. THERE AINT NONE FOLKS!
BC Canada is the only state/province that I have ever heard of that will stop andweigh private vehicles.
Uhh dont drive through oklahoma there actively stopping and weighing motorhomes, tt, 5vers and truck campers. pull you over if you look overloaded and scale your rig. go by that little sticker on your door jamb. The law has been on the books 5 years but there just now targeting. if you want the law ill post a link. Theres the link and the statute. Notice it says any vehicle on any road can be stopped for purpose of weighing. That means anyone anywhere. no scales fine they make you drive to truck stop or weigh station to weigh you.

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahom...ion-47-14-111/

my neighbor in the park got dinged going to weigh his new rig. cost him $208 for the weight ticket. a truck camper came in and his ticket was in the thousands. 1-2000 over is 208 after that it dings ya by the pound.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
I hope no one takes that wild claim seriously.
Size and weigh codes don't read for non commercial or commercial vehicles only. Size and weight regulations are for all vehicle on the road and their enforced by the same folks. We are talking gross weights and gross axle weights or gross combined weights.
Something RV folks have a hard time grasping is size and weight regulations are not just for commercial vehicles.
Quote:
JMO.... some RV folks only know what they heard or read on their rv website.
Quote:
Actually its illegal and also dumb to tow over loaded.

Paste and copy thoughts from a actual auto engineer when same type discussion came up ...;

***I'm a retired auto engineer and Marketing has a big impact on GVWR. As a engineer, it was our job to make sure the frame, brakes and powertrain components were designed well above the GVWR ratings that Marketing wanted, so we would design in a safety factor for each component. You don't really think we would build a truck and then test it to determine what the surprise GVWR number should be!
Axle ratings are also well above the GVWR rating and in commercial vehicles, axle ratings are the pay load determining factor and even they have a big safety factor designed into them.
It would be unusual for a lawyer to accept a overweight case unless it was grossly over the safety factor weight and even then a vehicle manufacture would not share that info because it is not a hard fast number that will break if one more pound is added.
There are many videos of million pound plus loads being moved by trucks across country. It's all about the axles.***

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight