Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Question Polishing aluminum on enclosed trailer

Guys, I have a 20ft enclosed trailer that I pull behind the bus and the shiney aluminum rock guards on the corners and etc., are dull and need polishing. I tried "Mothers" and "Never Dull" on one side of the trailer and the area that I cleaned and polished came out with un-sitely scratch marks. I'm using clean cloths and micro-fiber. What product do I need to use to keep things looking new on that shiney stuff?

Thanks
DonGott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGott View Post
Guys, I have a 20ft enclosed trailer that I pull behind the bus and the shiny aluminum rock guards on the corners and etc., are dull and need polishing. I tried "Mothers" and "Never Dull" on one side of the trailer and the area that I cleaned and polished came out with un-sitely scratch marks. I'm using clean cloths and micro-fiber. What product do I need to use to keep things looking new on that shiny stuff?
DonGott, The secret probably lies with a wheel polisher guy. I've seen some pretty ratty looking aluminum wheels and they turned out really nice. I guess it'll all depend on technique, the right stuff and a buffing type polishing machine. Good luck!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Are you sure the aluminum wasn't coated with a clear coat? You'd know it wasn't clear coated if the polishing cloth turned black quickly. Another problem will be keeping them polished without a clear coat. They will oxidize fairly quickly and won't stay that way for too long.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

You can go to just about any decent truck stop and find big bars of jewlers rouge. It comes in different colors.. Brown; for serious cutting of abused or never cut aluminum, Green; for general everyday type polishing (use it after the brown). Most people stop here with the green but if you really want a mirror finish there is White; for a fine finish mirror like finish. It's for serious polishing.. For a bit less serious, there are more agressive polishes than the Mothers & Never Dull... I use Zepher, white Diamond, and some others found in truck stops.. Try these!

But, if you want to avoid all the mess and everything.. there are usually detail shops in some big truck stops that can do anything.. (Where are you and i can steer you to somewhere that there is a detail shop..) If you see a "Blue Beacon" truck wash they can usually steer you in the right direction of some polishing shop.. They can just apply acid to the aluminum to get the oxidation off.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Long Horn, DRW, longbed, 4x4, 4:10rear, pullrite 25.5K hitch.
Shopping for that just right 5th wheel..
-Gonzo- is offline   Reply With Quote