Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Poly or steel replacement fuel tank?

Looking at replacing the stock 25 gallon fuel tank on my 2015 F-350 SCrew short bed with a larger 50 gallon. There appears to be two good options available. Transfer Flow provides a 50 gallon replacement made of aluminized steel for $910. Titan offers the same size made of polyethylene for $1410. Both are mid-ship, include all necessary hardware and don't require removing the spare tire. I live in Oregon where the use of salt on the roads is not allowed. Opinions on which would be the better way to go?
dschamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

I don't see much difference in either functionality or longevity. You might just a well go with the cheaper option.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Transfer Flow has had an excellent reputation for quality products for years. Titan is relatively the new kid on the block. Plus Transfer Flow has factory-approved installers all over the USA. I don't know about Titan. And Birder should know, Transfer Flow has excellent, proven electronic interfaces between their tanks and the Ford instruments and gauges. The Next Generation of TRAX is Here! - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

I have the Titan tank and chose it because it weighs far less. I saw your prices and then looked it up, they have increased considerably. Unless you do serious off-road, there is no need for the shield. Shop around and you can find discounts.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I chose to replace my 25-gallon tank with the Ford OEM 36-gallon tank that was standard on the 2012 4x4s. That cost more than the Transfer Flow, but I'm glad I have it.

With my stock tank, I had to look for a gas station at around 200 miles when towing. With the 36-gallon tank, I don't need to start looking for a Flying J until after 300 miles towing, and well over 500 miles when unloaded.

The 36-gallon tank is now optional on all new F-150s. That's an option you don't want to omit.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fuel, replace, replacement, tank