Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I don't see any ordinary car haulers long enough to haul a Jeep and Tacoma. But the stackers are in use a lot. On my recent 3,200 mile trip last week, I saw numerous diesel pushers dragging a two-car stacker race trailer. Some of the race trailers had $5,000 or more custom paint jobs to match the motorhome. Impressive rigs. A quick search on www.paceamerican.com didn't show me any, but they say they make them with 20' interior length. Gotta run right now, but later I'll do a search to find the correct stacker trailer for hauling a Jeep and Tacoma.
Stacker would be elegant but not practical for this application. Length would be problematic but weight is an issue. Our stacker weighs 11535 with a SUV and two motorcycles, plus a few odds and ends.

Stacker is 20' with a 16' lift. InTech will built pretty much whatever you want. We went with them for price and quality of build. Comparable HaulMark was was less but curb weight was 12,000 lb. InTech, all aluminum, is 6350 lb.

Inside height also an issue with two SUV. Max inside clearance is 11' 4. You can get stackers with more height inside but price can really be an issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #16

I believe that. if the state in which your vehicle is registered allows double towing, other states aren't allowed to deny you doing it. I've seen quite a few double tows around here in WA (we're in a very popular tourist area) even though the state doesn't permit residents to do it. They've almost all been a toad with a boat behind it, though I did see one that had a toad pulling a sailplane trailer.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Well. I'm not much good at Googling, so I can't fine exactly what I'm looking for = an 18' or 20' interior length stacker, preferably aluminum to keep the weight down. Following is a 24' aluminum stacker that would do the job nicely, except it's only 10' interior height, so you'd probably have to remove the roll cage and maybe lower the windshield on the Jeep to stack a Wrangler over a Tacoma. No specs on that website, so I assume the 24' length is from coupler to behind the rear bumper, leaving about a 20' interior length.
24' Stacker Trailer | Custom All Aluminum Stacker Trailers
Old 12-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
What i am contemplating...:

40' diesel pusher pulling Jeep 4 down... then behind jeep, a tow dolly and small pickup 2 down.

Lighting i think would work... technically i think this train would go forward. Anyone ever do this? Legal? Train would be approx 65' ?
I have been watching this thread with interest.........have a question, why do you want two auto's with you? behind your Coach? Just wondering......Thanks
As posted, you have to watch your towing capability and weights........
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02...ouble-tow.html

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php
Old 12-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I believe that. if the state in which your vehicle is registered allows double towing, other states aren't allowed to deny you doing it. I've seen quite a few double tows around here in WA (we're in a very popular tourist area) even though the state doesn't permit residents to do it. They've almost all been a toad with a boat behind it, though I did see one that had a toad pulling a sailplane trailer.
Don't believe it Frank.........
(Look at the links above)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
You are subject to the vehicle restrictions of weight, length, etc of the state you are in. Reciprocity is only good for licensing (drivers, vehicle) requirements.

If you are on the interstates you fall under the federal rules and are not subject to state rules as long as you are on the interstate or within a specified distance of the interstate. You are allowed off of the interstate in order to get fuel, food, accomodations, etc. Interstate rules are consistent throughout the interstate system.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Well. I'm not much good at Googling, so I can't fine exactly what I'm looking for = an 18' or 20' interior length stacker, preferably aluminum to keep the weight down. Following is a 24' aluminum stacker that would do the job nicely, except it's only 10' interior height, so you'd probably have to remove the roll cage and maybe lower the windshield on the Jeep to stack a Wrangler over a Tacoma. No specs on that website, so I assume the 24' length is from coupler to behind the rear bumper, leaving about a 20' interior length.
24' Stacker Trailer | Custom All Aluminum Stacker Trailers
My experience with stackers is the length is the body length. That is for Haulmark, InTech, Factory Transport, Millenium and Feather Lite.

Then there are options for the length of the hitch.

Tags
toad, toads, tow