Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Possible (legal?) to tow two toads?

What i am contemplating...:

40' diesel pusher pulling Jeep 4 down... then behind jeep, a tow dolly and small pickup 2 down.

Lighting i think would work... technically i think this train would go forward. Anyone ever do this? Legal? Train would be approx 65' ?
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #2

I suspect you'll find that is illegal in virtually every state. Check here: http://www.aaa.com/aaa/Traveler/trailer.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some states allow a trailer behind a toad. Dunno about toad behind a toad. But I like the idea. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Forget about the legalities for the moment.

Too many points of failure for me. Lighting, hitches, tires that need to be monitored, strapping down the tires to the tow dolly, can the hitch that pulls the first toad handle the extra weight of the two vehicles behind it?

Now, the legalities: Proper drivers licensing, will your insurance company be on board with your plan to cover your equipment arrangement, can you prove to the highway patrol officer that stopped you that it is all legal, or will you have to prove to the judge when you go back to plead not guilty to the citation you received? If the police make you break up the combination "right here, right now" or they start calling tow trucks, what will you do to get your vehicles where you are going?

In my mind, it's not an acceptable risk. What if you have to back up? Break down two vehicles and move them before you can even think of backing up the MH.

To anyone that is thinking "that won't happen", folks probably think the same thing the same day a tire blows out or there is an engine fire.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Some of my past research has found that pulling two trailers are legal in some states and not in others. The roadway you happen to be traveling on may have some restrictions as well even though it may be legal in that state. (It could be legal on the Federal highways, but not so on the county or city streets. I have also found that a toad may or may not be covered as a trailer. (technically it is not a trailer) Some states, and this may include provinces in Cn. may not even cover the possibility of that combination as many of the laws were written for the commercial people not the RV industry. The best way to handle the question would be to do the research on the laws for each state prior to crossing the border.
On the other hand getting a resolution as to it's legality may be for someone to be the Guinne Pig. So I say GO for it!!!! Remember, when you set up the brakes, it is safest to have the lions share of the braking duties on the RV with each trailer behind doing a bit less than the one in front. A sliding wheel tries to take the lead! You do not want one of them to try to come around because the brakes are too tight.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info guys. Like i said, hardware would hold. fundamentals are sound. Of course my largest concern would be road conditions and being pulled over by a cop and being made to break down.

Thanks everyone.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Many jurisdictions allow mulitple trailers. Some I am aware of require the first hitch to be a 5 wheel.

The issue of two toads would be problematic IMO. Cause of nightmares when attempting to fuel or backing up.

Depending upon the length of your unit a car hauler or stacker would be a practical and elegant alternative.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #8

I see it done on a fairly regular basis in Texas. You'll see small convoys of cars towing cars towing cars being transported from auto auctions in the Metro-Mess to Mexico.

Legal? Dunno, but have never seen them stopped by the po po.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

Here is a video of a Jeep set up to tow behind a bumper pull trailer. Not exactly what you have in mind, but similar.

timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you are begging for problems.. The first is maximum vehicle length laws (Combined vehicle length) and as noted above SOME states allow double tow, SOME only selected 2nd trailers (IE: Boat) some do not allow it.. far as I know at all
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Simple solution. One long flatbed trailer with both toads on the trailer. Your two toads, assuming a 2014 Jeep Wrangler @ 153" long plus a 2015 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab @ 208" long total 30' + 1" long (153 plus 208 inches = 361 inches, or an inch over 30' combined length). A 24' flatbed trailer with a 5' dovetail would do it, with about 13" of rear overhang sticking out past the dovetail at the rear of the trailer.

Here's one by Big Tex trailers. They don't make a lighter-duty trailer 29 or 30' long, but this one will do the job.
Big Tex Trailers 24ED/24AD Pintle Equipment Transport - Big Tex Trailers
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:29 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
fkloster, I'm assuming you'll be towing with your 91 Marquis. Looking at the brochure for your Diesel Pusher, it says GVWR is 33,540 and GCWR is 40,000. That would leave just 6460 lbs. to legally tow. What's the GVWR of both vehicles you want to tow?

Nice trailer link, Smokey. I tow a trailer with a backhoe very similar to the one in your link. I'll have to recheck the weight of the trailers dry weight again, but, isn't that about a 5000 lb. trailer? Add the Jeep and the small pick-up on that trailer and I'm thinking overweight towing issue.

Towing two bumper-pulls is ok is some states(hopefully in your state fkloster). It's not allowed here in California, but, towing a 5er and trailer behind 5er is ok for Commercial licensed drivers with the endorsement.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Depending upon the length of your unit a car hauler or stacker would be a practical and elegant alternative.
I don't see any ordinary car haulers long enough to haul a Jeep and Tacoma. But the stackers are in use a lot. On my recent 3,200 mile trip last week, I saw numerous diesel pushers dragging a two-car stacker race trailer. Some of the race trailers had $5,000 or more custom paint jobs to match the motorhome. Impressive rigs. A quick search on www.paceamerican.com didn't show me any, but they say they make them with 20' interior length. Gotta run right now, but later I'll do a search to find the correct stacker trailer for hauling a Jeep and Tacoma.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #14

The Big Tex would be much better than towing doubles.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads, tow