Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
Well, I have been searching and the funny thing is I can find better bargains on F-450s than on the 350s. Will need to see one. The problem is if we did get a 450 this would be my daily drive. Comments welcome.

edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #16
For the year and price range you are in, a Cummings powered vehicle would be a better option. The Ford 6.0 have quite a history and the 6.4 is really not that much better.

To buy a used 6.4 could be a very expensive problem.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, DRW, 8' box, B&W Companion 2014 Montana 3150RL, with all the stuff.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #17
I would recommend a 6.4... granted they are better than the 6.0, but 08 was the first year for the 6.4... I personally wouldn't touch one... alot of that being because two diesel shops in my area won't touch them if they been work. Then again I am a fan of the cummins and duramax trucks
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #18
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
Well, I have been searching and the funny thing is I can find better bargains on F-450s than on the 350s. Will need to see one. The problem is if we did get a 450 this would be my daily drive. Comments welcome.
I would not close your eyes on a new 2014 or 2015 Diesel pick-up truck. You can buy a Ram Tradesman 4X2 model SRW truck with the 6.7L Cummins engine and the 6 sped auto for a little under $41,000.00 payments are around $563 a month with 10% down at 4.04% interest for 72 months. If you put more $$ down than that would lower the amount that you owe and the payments also.

Per the SAE J2807 towing standards the Ram truck as equipped above has a maximum payload capacity of 3,166 LBS and a maximum towing capacity of 17,950 LBS. This is all you need for towing the Bay Hill trailer that you are looking at.

You do not need all of the bells whistles that come on a Lamarie or a Lamarie Lognhorn truck for a tow vehicle and Ram has incentives for new truck buyers. Just a thought as one way to get into a new truck.

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
Well, I have been searching and the funny thing is I can find better bargains on F-450s than on the 350s. Will need to see one. The problem is if we did get a 450 this would be my daily drive.

If you look only at 2011 thru 2014 F-450s, then the engine and drivetrain cannot be beat. Regardless of what the Ram and GM fans post. 2008 thru 2010 F-450 pickups had the Navistar 6.4L engine that is much better than the earlier 6.0L, but very thirsty because of smog requirements.

There is no apparent difference between an F-450 and an F-350 DRW pickup with the same options for model years 2011 thru 2014. They are both dually work horses with the Ford 6.7L diesel engine. The only difference in the specs is the rear axle ratio that gives the F-450 more pulling power but not more payload capacity. If you can manage an F-350 DRW as a daily driver, then you can manage an F-450 exactly the same except for a few more engine RPM a the same speed. I doubt you can tell the difference by driving them on test drives.

But the F-450 pickups come in a limited number of configurations. CrewCab diesel is it. You want a SuperCab or regular cab, then sorry Charlie. You want the V-10 gas engine that's available in the F-450 chassis cab, then sorry Charlie. And Ford dually pickups are no longer available with other than an 8' bed, so if you want a newer shorty dually, then sorry Charlie.

Both F-350 DRW and F-450 were available as chassis cab trucks. That means the Ford assembly line did not install a bed. Aftermarket upfitters added your choice of bed or body. So before 2008 F-450 pickups were available, lots of F-450 chassis cabs were converted by adding an RV hauler bed or a pickup bed or a flat bed or some other bed or body. So you may be able to find an older F-450 conversion. But those F-450s were not much ken to the F-350 DRW of the same year. The F-450 chassis cab had 19.5" real-truck tires, heavier suspension, increased payload, bigger brakes, and all sorts of drivetrain options, from engines and transmissions to rear axles. Yes, even ZF 6-speed manual truck transmissions were available

So good luck in your hunt for the perfect truck for your needs.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote