Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

Possible TV what do you think

Well we might be jumping from MH to 5th wheel based on the way we use the MH. So before we get the 5th wheel we are looking for a good TV for about 26k or so. This past Saturday we saw one in Boston. It was surprisingly quiet and easy to drive. Dealer really is looking to move the Truck and indicated they were flexible. Original owner purchased the truck from them. Used to pull a boat twice a year. Looking for your advice?

Used 2008 Ford F-350 For Sale | Braintree MA
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #2

Could be good, but I would look underneath very carefully for rust.
After 7+ years in New England, I guess it's ugly under there.
Also check the condition of the windsheild. Driving in the winter conditions leads to bad pitting of the glass, which gives a nasty glare from the sun.

If you found the same truck down south, it would probably be great.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
Well we might be jumping from MH to 5th wheel based on the way we use the MH. So before we get the 5th wheel we are looking for a good TV for about 26k or so. This past Saturday we saw one in Boston. It was surprisingly quiet and easy to drive. Dealer really is looking to move the Truck and indicated they were flexible. Original owner purchased the truck from them. Used to pull a boat twice a year. Looking for your advice?

Used 2008 Ford F-350 For Sale | Braintree MA
I would Google the 6.4L engine and see what it takes to service this engine. One key point is why is the truck for sale with so little mileage on it. I have an 08 with 80K + and I think this is a low mileage truck. Also check out the service history on the truck. Another point in order to repair some of the components on the truck's engine the cab needs to be removed to reach them.

Jim W.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can buy that same truck but in a brand new 2015 version with the wonderful Ford 6.7L diesel engine for about $54,000 (MSRP 60k). The monthly payments for a new one will probably not be much more than for the 7-year-old truck. I hate buying someone else's problems, so I'd try really hard to get into a new one. Check with the F&I guy a the dealership to compare the monthly payment difference.

Of course if you're like me and have to pay cash for any vehicle, then the used ones seem better than waiting a few more years while you save up for the new one.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would deside on what 5er you want first then shop for the appropriate truck.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

A new truck with a payment of $650 - $850 is not going to happen for 72 or 78 months. We have to purchase used. $25000 will yelled a payment lover than $450 per month for 60 months. Less with our trade. We really like the Bay Hill models leaning towards 320rs or 369rl. This puts us in the DRW TV. Do you think s SRW could pull what we are looking at. Or. Should we be looking at F-250. I think the 250 is to small.
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrayman View Post
We really like the Bay Hill models leaning towards 320rs or 369rl. This puts us in the DRW TV. Do you think s SRW could pull what we are looking at.
The Bay Hill 320RS has GVWR of 14,100 pounds, Count on wet and loaded weight over 13,000 pounds, Yes, that's DRW territory. F-350 SRW would be overloaded with any 5er grossing more than about 12,000 pounds. F-250 is not even in the running. The SRW Fords could easily pull that much weight, but they cannot haul the hitch weight of that much trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of the pickup.. So go for the late-model dually.

And by late-model dually I mean not older than a 2005 model Ford. The older Ford duallys has only 20k GCWR and 11,500 GVWR.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Oh boy..this will generate another debate..getting the popcorn. ....
Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

I believe the 2008 6.4 diesel is a decent engine although it is thirsty for fuel. If I remember correctly this engine would go into regen mode to clean the exhaust which would reduce the available power while regenerating. If you use it as a daily driver in town without towing anything it would regen a lot. The more you work it by towing a load on the highway would reduce the regen modes.

Whatever you do I would suggest staying away from a used Ford 6.0 diesel engine; they were in 2003 to 2007 trucks I believe and had lots of problems if not serviced properly.

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Oh boy..this will generate another debate..getting the popcorn. ....

SmokeyWren has more Ford knowledge than most of their engineers. You can take his comments to the bank regarding Ford trucks.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I was implying the "topic" will bring on the debate not Smokey's or anyone else's comment. It's a hot topic always has been and always will be. I love it!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #12

I keep a close eye on used and new truck prices in the mid atlantic and northeast area. That's a real good deal for that truck IF its not rusty underneath. I see trucks like that anywhere from $28-35k+ all the time. Some of the prices are downright crazy. I have seen some 5 year old diesel duallies for $40k not sure why.

The other wild card is if the 6.4 is going to have issues. I bought a gas dually because I am not in the financial position to have a sophisticated modern diesel out of warranty with issues.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #13

6 years of payments on a 7 year old, northern climate truck. Sorry, but this sounds like a really bad idea in my book.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

JMO but after reading about the 6.4 on Ford and RV forums it's a problem waiting to happen. It's just a glossed over 6.0. You take your chance with them. Poor mpg too. My guess is the reason the miles are so low is it spent a good amount of time in the shop getting fixed. If you do go the Ford diesel route, then by all means get a OASIS report as well as get it inspected. The OASIS report will show all warranty work done. An inspection will show whats currently wrong with it.

I looked at a one owner 2005 F350 6.0 about 5 years ago. The OASIS report showed that it had a tranny reflash done and the turbo worked on under warranty. Not big deals IMO. However I was going to purchase a Ford ESP warranty and they require it to have an inspection. The inspection found 3 codes and a bed plate leak. One code was a glow plug, another was a fan sensor and the last was a crank sensor. The bed plate leak was IIRC about $1000. to fix and I never asked about the 3 codes. The ESP warranty won't cover existing problems. So I would've been on the hook for those. I ran from that truck. FWIW, it was a one owner 2005 F350 Lariat 4x4 6.0 with 41,000 on it. Perfect condition. Except for the stuff you don't see. They wanted 29,000 for it back then. It had sat on the lot for a couple months before I looked at it. It still sat on the lot for almost 1 year before anyone bought it. Why does a one owner truck in perfect condition with 41,000 miles on it sit for a year? Cause the 6.0 and 6.4 had a bad reputation.

I'd be looking for a Ram or Chev with diesels.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote