Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

Potential Ford 150 shortage coming

Have read several news articles this morning about a fire at one of the F150 parts supplier plants. The fire may potentially cause many layoffs while repairs are made to the burned area.

Quote:
Tuesday afternoon the United Automobile Workers union alerted members who build the F-150 at the Dearborn Truck Plant that production could be stopped later this week. "The company doesn't know when or for how long we will be down," wrote Burkie Morris of the UAW in a letter to members. If production is halted, Ford will likely temporarily lay off thousands of workers until it can get assembly lines running again

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ire/593237002/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Yep, good for Chevy and Ram and Toyota and Nissan. Bad for Ford.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

They have almost a 120 day supply of vehicles sitting on dealer lots, they will have this fixed (burnt down dash board factory) and back up and running with a different factory... Don't worry...
Old 05-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

Worry? Not bothered one bit by it
Old 05-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #5

Ford will not need as many F-150's since the 2019 Ram 1500 is being built. Dealers now have 7 to 9 on their lots now with more coming every day.

In 2011/2012 the sunami in Japan wiped out the factory that built the Nav systems for many manufacturers was destroyed. I think for 4 or 6 weeks they built cars/trucks without Nav systems.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford has announced it is dropping several Automobile lines. Do not know if the F-150 is part of that but production is stopped for any of several reasons.
1: Re-tooling
2: SURPLUS It may be they have too many
3: Parts shortage
4: Discontinuing the line
5: The ever popular "OTHER REASONS" .

But that said. Here in a RV forum the F-150 should not really be a worry, If you are planing on towing a trailer it's too small. and if you are planing on towing it behidn a motor home it is too scary to drivve on other than clear dry pavement (not enough weight in the rear Gives feeling it wants to "overstear" going round curves) Though I will admit of all the trucks I've driven.. I really liked the cockpit layout,
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
But that said. Here in a RV forum the F-150 should not really be a worry, If you are planing on towing a trailer it's too small.
Properly equipped for heavy towing, the F-150 is just about perfect for travel trailers with wet and loaded weight of less than about 7,000 pounds (hitch weight about 1,000 pounds). Without the heavy duty payload package (HDPP), the max TT weight is closer to 6,000 pounds (hitch weight less than 900 pounds). There are plenty of floor plans available with wet and loaded hitch weight less than 1,000 pounds. If you insist on a heavier TT than that, then yeah, you need more tow vehicle.

The problem is that most folks with new truck fever want the new truck RIGHT NOW without having wait for a special order to be delivered. But F-150s properly equipped for heavy towing are rarely stocked by Ford dealers, so those that want to tow heavy with an F-150 wind up with "not enuff truck" for their TT.

I want an F-150 properly equipped for heavy towing, so I'll plan ahead and order my new F-150, then wait a couple of months or more for it to be built and delivered to my Ford dealer. I don't want a left-over 2018, so I'll wait until the order bank for the 2019s open, probably in August, then order a
2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 501A 4x2 with
Heavy duty payload package (HDPP) (N/A with shorty bed or 502A "luxury" trim)
Max tow package (includes 36-gallon gas tank, e-locker axle, and integrated trailer brake controller)
Trailer tow mirrors (not included in max tow pkg, but required to safely tow a TT)
And a few other options not required for heavy towing.

If I would move up to a SuperDuty, any SuperDuty pickup is properly equipped to tow a 7k TT. So I could probably find what I want in stock at most dealers with very little effort. But I don't want a SuperDuty. I want a properly equipped F-150. So that means planning ahead.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Properly equipped for heavy towing, the F-150 is just about perfect for travel trailers with wet and loaded weight of less than about 7,000 pounds (hitch weight about 1,000 pounds). Without the heavy duty payload package (HDPP), the max TT weight is closer to 6,000 pounds (hitch weight less than 900 pounds). There are plenty of floor plans available with wet and loaded hitch weight less than 1,000 pounds. If you insist on a heavier TT than that, then yeah, you need more tow vehicle.

The problem is that most folks with new truck fever want the new truck RIGHT NOW without having wait for a special order to be delivered. But F-150s properly equipped for heavy towing are rarely stocked by Ford dealers, so those that want to tow heavy with an F-150 wind up with "not enuff truck" for their TT.

I want an F-150 properly equipped for heavy towing, so I'll plan ahead and order my new F-150, then wait a couple of months or more for it to be built and delivered to my Ford dealer. I don't want a left-over 2018, so I'll wait until the order bank for the 2019s open, probably in August, then order a
2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 501A 4x2 with
Heavy duty payload package (HDPP) (N/A with shorty bed or 502A "luxury" trim)
Max tow package (includes 36-gallon gas tank, e-locker axle, and integrated trailer brake controller)
Trailer tow mirrors (not included in max tow pkg, but required to safely tow a TT)
And a few other options not required for heavy towing.

If I would move up to a SuperDuty, any SuperDuty pickup is properly equipped to tow a 7k TT. So I could probably find what I want in stock at most dealers with very little effort. But I don't want a SuperDuty. I want a properly equipped F-150. So that means planning ahead.
X2. My F150 handles my trailer very comfortably. 9K miles in ALL kinds of weather.

I expect that Ford will have the needed radiator brackets available from another supplier in a week or two.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

Smokey - a new 4 x 2 F-250 6.2 gas with locking rear axle, Lariat trim would probably cost about the same as the F-150 with all the towing goods. The F-250 drives rock solid and would be a pleasure to tow with. Give them a look[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
They have almost a 120 day supply of vehicles sitting on dealer lots, they will have this fixed (burnt down dash board factory) and back up and running with a different factory... Don't worry...
I'm in this industry, or adjacent to it. They've got other means of production sorted and they should be up in 45 days. There was as of last week, a 64 day supply of F-150's. In other words, you shouldn't even notice, and if a dealer tries to gouge you for it, find another dealer.
a44v589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Potential Ford 150 shortage coming

I tow a 34 ft travel trailer that weighs 8,000 lbs loaded down with water, propane, gear, etc. ... with a 2017 F150 crew cab sb 4x4 w/ 3.5L V6 twin turbo Ecoboost ... 3.55 gears and the 10-speed automatic with an Equalizer wd / anti-sway hitch. I will admit I added a set of overload leaf springs and an aftermarket sway bar to the rear end of the truck to both better handle the 1,000 lbs of hitch weight and better control those unforeseen sway events. Also scrapped the junk/dangerous 4-ply stock tires and put on a set of new 10-ply’s. This F-150 did pull the travel trailer in stock form back from the dealer in Idaho to it’s home in Utah, where after that 200 mile driving experience, I immediately ordered and installed the upgrades above. Many will ask why I did not purchase a 3/4 or 1 ton truck instead of adding all of these items. Truth is I am blessed to work in an occupation where my employer provides me with a new F150 every few years that I can use for personal use ... so makes no financial sense for me to personally own a second truck. I guess the point is I can tell you from direct experience the F150 will pull up to 10,000 lbs safely if set up correctly. As for the 12,500 lb max towing rating Ford advertises ... you are a braver man than me pulling that much with an F150.

Side note ... when I am not towing ... I drop the tire pressure back to 50 psi ... which lets me drive around in a soft suspension only offered in a 1/2 ton pickup.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:39 AM   #12

Lol, you are a braver man than I am towing a 34' trailer with a 1/2 ton Ford. Thanks for posting as I am thinking of using a 1/2 ton truck to tow an approx. 6,500lbs loaded 29.5' trailer.

Also, you westerners are getting soft needing a big trailer to camp in. Always pictured a saddle as your pillow.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

Not to worry!! The used car market is flooded with plenty of gently used, low mileage Ford F150s looking for a home, purchased by many folks who heard they were the end all, be all truck. Only to discover they were all of them deceived, and so traded said vehicle in on a RAM.

LOL, sorry guys, I had to toss that in there.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
2018 Truck sales

Truck sales as of March 2018 Ford sales are Best by a long shot
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford