Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #15
40hp and 5mpg is stretching it a bit on a gas burner. Diesel is a different animal and you can get way over those HP numbers with just a tune. In order to see those 40-50HP gains on gas you have to start swapping some parts. A good tune, headers, and cold air intake would get you in the neighborhood of 40-50. Toss a cam at it and you could see another 40ish more.

0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by jrocker View Post
I went with a Diablo Intune on my Chevy 5.3, after two other modifications. Altogether around $1500 investment that I would do over and over again. My wife noticed a difference in performance from the passenger seat.

Now, I'm a data junkie. An app on my phone and a odb reader provided me with all the numbers I needed.
I logged data from the truck for two weeks on the same trips to and from work. Compiled all the stock data, then I removed the air intake and installed a more direct route from the airbox to the motor (Airaid). Two more weeks of data compilation. Slight improvements on HP/Torque/mileage.

Added cat back dual exhaust. Two more weeks of data compilation. Another slight improvement on HP/Torque/mileage.

Finally, I dumped one of Diablo's programs into the truck and it absolutely woke that sluggish motor up. The additional improvements with HP/Torque/mileage were equivalent to the cold air intake and exhaust combined.

While the tune by itself will show improvements, you get a lot more out of it if you open up the air ways and let that motor breathe. Keep in mind, some motors already have some form of cold air injection. My Chevy had a cold air box, but the air plenum went to the motor by way of Bangladesh, so all I had to do was shorten the route it took by slapping on one half of the cold air mod (less $).

I did all this two years ago, right after I bought the truck. I have yet to see any of the adverse effects detractors often preach. So, in my case...myth busted.

I'll see if I can round up the spreadsheet with all the data and provide the numbers. It seems they weren't quite equivalent to the manufacturers claims (they never are), but they were significant enough to warrant the money I spent.

Two things I got from these mods:

1. Went from 7-9 mpg pulling the trailer to 10-11 mpg's.
2. Towing is much, much more comfortable and the hills no longer slow me down to a crawl (this on its own is priceless).

Will do the same without even batting an eye on my next truck.
I like to see posts like this one, that are a direct response to the OP with the same engine, backed up by empirical data.

Thank you...

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
40hp and 5mpg is stretching it a bit on a gas burner. Diesel is a different animal and you can get way over those HP numbers with just a tune. In order to see those 40-50HP gains on gas you have to start swapping some parts. A good tune, headers, and cold air intake would get you in the neighborhood of 40-50. Toss a cam at it and you could see another 40ish more.
Depends. The Hemi's take well to tuning due to the stock tuning being very restrictive, torque management being over managed, transmission shift points (6 speed only since there is no tuning for the 8 speed yet), VVT overly aggressively pulling timing for no reason. This is all well documented for '09+ 5.7 Hemi Ram's. With custom tuning alone they're seeing 30-40 HP and 30-40 Tq.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum is the Ford Ecoboost 3.5. That motor handles tuning EXCEPTIONALLY well. Just tuning, no supporting mods, people are seeing 50 HP and 100 Tq at the wheels. Those motors are bonkers.

Custom tuning, not the canned tunes you get from Hypertech and Bullydog, is the number one best performance per dollar mod you can do.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
If you go with a tuner in a diesel, its will be in your best interest to have a EGT gauge to monitor your EGTs.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Which many already have, but there is no gauge or EVIC menu choice for to see it.
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
I have had bully dog, hypertech, and a custom tune and they all work but the custom works better and they can do a lot more adjustments and are the easiest to do. I also had a magnaflow, k&n cold air kit, and jba headers. I noticed the most from the headers as far as bolt ons.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
Jrocker lucky number 13, that is a lot of good info, Thanks.
Look at the Diablo and Bully dog , money was there about the same. The bully dog you can mount it right on your windshield so you can check your stats right then and there. In change from economy to Towing depending on what you're doing. I don't think you can do that with the Diablo.
From the numbers you have given. Either one will pay for itself any years time just in fuel cost. Or at least that's the way it appears. Thanks again for the info

ken698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #22
The tunes for a gas motor are of questionable worth in performance. They often come with a different transmission program that's a lot of the improvements. But driveability may also be improved--but at a relatively high price.

On turbocharged diesels (or gas) engines or supercharged engines, a tuner can really add the horsepower. But it's very important to use a high level programmer because horsepower also comes with additional heat. You don't want to burn up the engine.

I understand the 3.5 Ecoboost with a Hypertech 80 hp tune will run in the low 13's in the quarter mile. Even stock, they're already faster than a 1965 Pontiac GTO. That's horsepower well worth the investment.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote