Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Power chip

I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge of the programmable power chips. According to what I've read it says they increase as much as 40 horsepower and 5 miles to the gallon. I don't know if it's true or not I was just wondering if it's worth the money to actually buy one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bully Dog, Edge, many that don't require any mods to the engine, but if you have a diesel it might be a good idea to install a pyrometer in the exhaust if you don't have one. I'm thinking about the Bully Dog model for my truck.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

The Bully Dog is what I was looking at. I just don't know if it will make that big of a improvement for the $500.00.
Also I will be putting it on a 5.3.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Much depends on the application of these devices and what type of engine. Just keep in mind that in order to create more horsepower you'll require larger volumes of fuel & air.
Although simple tuning can decrease / increase fuel flows most vehicles will require costly modifications to increase air flow volumetric efficiencies to boast significant HP increases. These might be accomplished with larger capacity air boxes, larger diameter exhaust systems, and increased turbo-charger dia. & boost rates.
Then there may be cooling issues because increasing HP equally increases heat.
This is not congruent with increased MPG. Overly decreasing ratio's, lean mixtures can indeed raise combustion temps to engine damaging levels (melted pistons etc.). So proceed with the appropriate instrumentation and caution. If you have a good running vehicle just pair it with the appropriate load to match it's capabilities. You'll be money ahead.

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

If I were you find a shop that can do HPTuning.

They can do road and dyno tunes and you will gain as much as you can for your truck.

Much better then a can tune.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

I put a hypertech programmer on my 03 5.3 and it did "wake" it up. However I think 500 for the bullydog won't give you enough for the money.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken698 View Post
and 5 miles to the gallon.
With manufacturers trying to bleed EVERY last ounce of MPGs out of vehicles to meet new standards there's no way they'd leave anything close to this much lost in computer programming. From reading real world experiences people are lucky to see 1/2 mpg. And I often think that is just some optimistic calculating.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unladen fuel economy goes up quite a bit with some of the tuners. A friend with the Billy Dog gets almost 20% better mpg in daily driving. The tuner also smoothed out some of the shifts and sluggish starts from stopped. The Bully Dog model has a combined "Tow/Economy" mode.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

I run a DiabloSport with HemiFever tuning on my '13 Ram 1500 5.7. Hand down the best setup for a Hemi. Sean with HemiFever will make you custom tunes to suit your needs after sending him logs from the stock tune. At least with the Hemi these motors stock tuning is garbage. They pull timing and manage torque horribly. I have 3 tunes I run from him. An 89 octane every day driving tune. Adds about 30 HP and 30 TQ. A 91+ tow tune that pretty much eliminates torque management, firms up shifts and holds gears longer. And a 91+ performance tune, I rarely use because it'll light up the tires all over the place.

He's constantly working on the tunes and I'll get updates from time to time to try out, log, email back. Lifetime tunes from him and he's highly regarded in the Hemi world.

And to top it off I actually get better fuel economy during every day driving and towing.

Stock tuning in just about any vehicle is horrible.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
Stock tuning in just about any vehicle is horrible.

One person's opinion.

I happen to like mine, and it handles the job just fine. I also keep the side of the truck and fiver clean that way.

I looked for a year to find a truck that hadn't been screwed with. Luckily, they are out there.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Bully Dog, Edge, many that don't require any mods to the engine, but if you have a diesel it might be a good idea to install a pyrometer in the exhaust if you don't have one. I'm thinking about the Bully Dog model for my truck.
You might want to check out the June issue of Trailer Life. An article called "Plug and Play: Engine Programmers for Extra Power and Milage" page 40 also the editorial. Most informative is the inset on page 42 "Making sense of power claims".
Certainly helped me make my decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7357 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	140034  
5D Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Don't know anything about tuning a gas, but I did do a dpf delete on my duramax with a custom tune on efi live. Couldn't be happier. More power, better spool up, no black smoke/smell, and managed to get a little better mpg and better reliability (i believe) with the absence of the dpf and egr. I will probably never recover the cost with fuel saved but do enjoy driving it more and now have an exhaust brake, corrected for wheel size speedometer. All I can say is do plenty of research, lots of forums out there with people that have already done it.
Sparechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #13

I went with a Diablo Intune on my Chevy 5.3, after two other modifications. Altogether around $1500 investment that I would do over and over again. My wife noticed a difference in performance from the passenger seat.

Now, I'm a data junkie. An app on my phone and a odb reader provided me with all the numbers I needed.
I logged data from the truck for two weeks on the same trips to and from work. Compiled all the stock data, then I removed the air intake and installed a more direct route from the airbox to the motor (Airaid). Two more weeks of data compilation. Slight improvements on HP/Torque/mileage.

Added cat back dual exhaust. Two more weeks of data compilation. Another slight improvement on HP/Torque/mileage.

Finally, I dumped one of Diablo's programs into the truck and it absolutely woke that sluggish motor up. The additional improvements with HP/Torque/mileage were equivalent to the cold air intake and exhaust combined.

While the tune by itself will show improvements, you get a lot more out of it if you open up the air ways and let that motor breathe. Keep in mind, some motors already have some form of cold air injection. My Chevy had a cold air box, but the air plenum went to the motor by way of Bangladesh, so all I had to do was shorten the route it took by slapping on one half of the cold air mod (less $).

I did all this two years ago, right after I bought the truck. I have yet to see any of the adverse effects detractors often preach. So, in my case...myth busted.

I'll see if I can round up the spreadsheet with all the data and provide the numbers. It seems they weren't quite equivalent to the manufacturers claims (they never are), but they were significant enough to warrant the money I spent.

Two things I got from these mods:

1. Went from 7-9 mpg pulling the trailer to 10-11 mpg's.
2. Towing is much, much more comfortable and the hills no longer slow me down to a crawl (this on its own is priceless).

Will do the same without even batting an eye on my next truck.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
I put a hypertech programmer on my 03 5.3 and it did "wake" it up. However I think 500 for the bullydog won't give you enough for the money.

I use a Hypertech and like you I get a little better performance over stock. It did increase my mileage 1 1/2 to 2 MPG if I don't hoss it and keep the RPM below 1800.

Tags
power