RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Scoopy - compressed natural gas had a good chance I think in the early 1990's to early 2000's but fell out of favor. There was a good enough push I think to get it started. It was a much cleaner burning fuel than gasoline with a much better natural octane rating. I think something like 103 octane.

But oil production increased and squashed natural gas like a bug. I do not hear anything about natural gas anymore.

I just checked the price of on a barrel of oil. It us $54.50 approx. I think compressed natural gas will make a comeback when a barrel of oil sells for $90 to $100.
Natural gas will be forced into use in California.

It is a thing in Canada with more service stations selling it than E85. (For example)

Fracking has brought down the price of oil, as well as NG.

California is making it very difficult to register diesel powered vehicles going forward.

Any alternative that pencils will be adopted...

sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #86

Quote:
Scoopy - compressed natural gas had a good chance I think in the early 1990's to early 2000's but fell out of favor. There was a good enough push I think to get it started. It was a much cleaner burning fuel than gasoline with a much better natural octane rating. I think something like 103 octane.

But oil production increased and squashed natural gas like a bug. I do not hear anything about natural gas anymore.

I just checked the price of on a barrel of oil. It us $54.50 approx. I think compressed natural gas will make a comeback when a barrel of oil sells for $90 to $100.

You might be right. Some of the city owned water dept trucks, and of course the gas company use this type of fuel in the light trucks. There was some talk of school busses going that way. Back when gas was cheap big gas engines could move any load they needed to move. But without big gas engines, diesel has took over for the heavy equipment. But if the fueling station is there for the light trucks, and a new engine can use it and move the equipment, it might get used as the smaller stuff goes electric. One thing that most would not think of, but when they changed fuels the had less fuel that was put in toolboxes, then into the POVs.
Be kind of race, will the large electric vehicles be proven before the big gas engines come on line. Burning natural gas to make electricity to charge battery to move a pole service truck. Or burn the gas to move the truck?

ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #87

Sounds like diesel is dead. I did not know compressed natural gas was so big in Canada. Also as California goes, so does the country, unless it falls into the Pacific ocean.

I do like the idea of using compressed natural gas because it is cleaner than gasoline and a bunch cleaner than diesel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #88

Quote:
Sounds like diesel is dead. I did not know compressed natural gas was so big in Canada. Also as California goes, so does the country, unless it falls into the Pacific ocean.

I do like the idea of using compressed natural gas because it is cleaner than gasoline and a bunch cleaner than diesel.
I don't know anything about Canada, other than where it is and the people are not as scared.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #89

Quote:
Fast Lane Trucks or maybe more accurately Trucks Fast Lane on YouTube.

There is also Fast Lane Cars but I think it is called TFL - Cars.

Anyway TFL Trucks probably do the best testing. They are based in Colorado and in their testing they tow cargo trailers loaded with big water totes for weight. They use the 8 miles stretch on RT 70 that comes out of the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado which is at 11,000 plus feet in elevation and drops to 8,000 feet I think. They count the brake applications on the way down. Then they turn around and tow up the mountain that is the Continental divide. I think 7 or 8 uphill for 8 miles. They call it the Ike Gauntlet.

TFL is kinda big and they can get manufacturers to lend them trucks to test.

They have about 5 different guys they use.
I like Andre' but do not like Nathan.

You have to go to YouTube and search on TFL Trucks to pull up their videos.

Oh, they run EPA milage runs and 0 - 60 tests.
Its actually The Fast Lane Truck or The Fast Lane Car, TFLT or TFLC.

:-)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I don't know anything about Canada, other than where it is and the people are not as scared.
Come visit sometime, we're friendly and polite too.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #91

Ehh?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Come visit sometime, we're friendly and polite too.
Thanks for the invite. But the time of the year I prefer to travel the weather is not always "friendly and polite"
Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #93

Quote:

Was it EPA emissions that caused GM to stop making that engine?
The death of the 8.1 was caused by a few different factors.

The engine was designed before the big jump in cafe standards in 2010 with the idea it would be modified to meet the 2010 requirements.

GM was swirling the toilet bowl around 2008 when new designing for the 2010 standards was to start.

The 8.1s little brother the 6.2 was a gold nugget. It was powerful, clean burning and able to make huge power with little modification. More power and more reliably than the 8.1.

As much as it was loved the 8.1 had some reliability problems the 6.2 did not seem to have.

GM could not afford to update the 8.1 and the 6.2 for the new 2010 standards. Gm and the other auto makers and the marine industry petitioned the government to push back the 2010 cafe standards until the recession was over. The government refused.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
We all know it's much easier to control the masses when you keep them living in fear.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
We all know it's much easier to control the masses when you keep them living in fear.
Yes, if they fear each other they can't see who is hurting them.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #96

From the 2020 F-450 Post.

Today is the 1st day you can order a 2020 Superduty. The changeover is 11-18-19 from the 2019 models to the 2020 models.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #97

Around here some of the tanker trucks that deliver to gas stations are powered by natural gas, which I find ironic.

As for the 8.1 liter, not completely dead. I'd love to get ahold of one and swap it in my gasser.
https://www.huskerpowerproducts.com/...ation/psi-8.8l
https://www.icbus.com/blog/8_8l
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...rade-Show.html 524ftlb of torque at 2400
Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz. View Post
Around here some of the tanker trucks that deliver to gas stations are powered by natural gas, which I find ironic.

As for the 8.1 liter, not completely dead. I'd love to get ahold of one and swap it in my gasser.
https://www.huskerpowerproducts.com/...ation/psi-8.8l
https://www.icbus.com/blog/8_8l
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...rade-Show.html 524ftlb of torque at 2400
I tried a search, and I don't see anywhere you can buy the gas 8.8 as a crate engine.
Also, nothing in their "news" on their website that it will be available in any RVs.
Too bad.

Tags
engine, ford, power